Analytics & UH Athletics

CT was a dual threat. With his tutelage under CDH’s system, he became a stud QB. And how about that UTSA flip into the EZ to win the game? Many other examples but that was the most dramatic. If we stop the 4th and 20 by a strong Jerand Bradley and D Smith (now on our team!), we would’ve had more momentum going into that KU game. KU was stout when their QB was healthy.

5 Likes

[quote=“tunemom, post:18, topic:42437”]
(have a list of over 60 of you chronic CF complainers)
[/quote
Careful Tunemom, there are those that would turn that around on you and claim you are the complainer because you pointed out their bad behavior. Their circular logic is beyond comprehension.
@funkmastermillins @slehcoog @firstandten

1 Like

Because Coach Sampson takes responsibility for the direction of the basketball program and doesn’t make excuses.

1 Like

Eras change. The era of emphasis on passing has long been with us.

However it is not debatable that our greatest winning era came when UH operated The Veer. Year after year we defeated National Powerhouses. In 9 seasons we won The SWC 4 times. More than any other school during those 9 seasons.

UH had a running QB. We also had really good defenses, which were assisted greatly by our running game eating up clock. And,of course, our Passing Game was frequently awesome, as the running game consistently brought up the defensive backs to make tackles, allowing our WR’s and TE’s to get behind defenses. Elmo Wright was just one example of that. He was an All-American receiver on a running team.

This also helps with our permanent OL recruiting problems. The Message Boards are 25 years old and Cougar fans have been noting OL problems for 25 years.

With Ward, then King, we ran the QB. Made The Peach Bowl with Ward, and won it.

Dana killed that Offense though, as we have seen, Tune can run. And he did so a few times. But not a consistent threat. Running plays were just not often called for Clayton.

Some might remember the strong running game we had under Sumlin when Dana was our OC. A great compliment to Keenum. Before that Briles ran the football. At Baylor we saw Briles run RGIII to a Heisman Trophy. As with The Veer his pass targets were most often running wild beyond the DB’s.

This is not The NFL. A running QB rarely works in The NFL. But it does work in College Football. And it improves our perpetual problem, which is recruiting an excellent OL.

Our 2 highest ranked years, we completed 90 and 76 passes the entire season. Keenum had more completions in 2 back to back games

Our arguably 2 best UH QBs (Ware and Klingler) had -144 and -130 career rushing yards

1 Like

Different era. Think Nebraaka in 70s. Predominant run team every year. Top 5 Ranking to start every year.

Ware and klingler did not run The Veer.

Our greatest era was 1966-1984.

Ran The Veer.

The Run-N-Shoot lasted exactly 3 years as a great offense. 1988-1990. By 1991 we sucked.

Herman ran the RPO which gave Ward great freedom to run. Won Peach Bowl with the RPO.

Dana killed that offense. Tune averaged 42 yards per game running. In 4 seasons he has one great year. We just saw the 2022 train wreck.

Both of our 2023 QB’s can run. Hope we see that!

And by the time CBY’s tenure was over, so was the veer because defenses caught up and figured out how to stop it. If you notice the triple option teams of today win some, but generally lose more. I can’t remember the last time a triple option team won a conference championship in a P5 program and since I don’t keep up with other G5, I can’t comment on them.

As to comparing basketball rebuilds with football is apples and oak trees. A coach can change his whole basketball team overnight, it takes several years in football.

It’s amazing that some of you guys don’t consider Tune a running QB when he led our team in rushing – and that is after all of the sacks were subtracted from his total. I honestly think the only reason some of you come on here is to complain.

7 Likes

Sometimes I think CDH is just trying to moneyball college football. I’m not opposed to this but I’m not seeing that he has that expertise or perhaps the variables in college football are changing too quickly (portal, NIL, realignment, etc.). Every time a variable changes the moneyball model changes.

In baseball, they used moneyball to get more productivity out of less money. I’m concerned that CDH is trying to get more out of less effort. That interview with Belk about not working hard and “sometimes less is more” is pretty damning.

Jeff Bagwell has been quoted as saying he thinks the Astros rely too heavily on Sabermetrics.

1 Like

Of course it was a different era, but the argument was UH’s best QBs were dual threat guys. Veer QBs could run, but generally weren’t considered dual threat even if they could pass some.

To take the UH and past era bias out, Navy QBs aren’t dual threat.

Ok.

Happy New Year!

Of the 9 division 1A, 99 yard TD passes, 3 are by Coog QBs in the Veer.

Talking about running QB’s, I love the Duggan kid from TCU.

Wrap your brain around this. Coach Yeoman recruited Andre Ware to run the veer. CBY was then fired and in comes Coach Pardee and the Run & Shoot. Amazing transition for Ware. It just goes to show you what great coaching and talent can accomplish. And the rest is history.

Jack Pardee did not win The SWC.

Neither did Jenkins. His 10-1 record in 1990 did not win The SWC.

We need to win. Of course we do. Will the near-NFL offensive approach win The Big 12?

TCU has plays designed for Duggan to run. That often means the defense misses the dive back, looking for the QB. That is EXACTLY how Yeoman’s Veer operated.

The OC for TCU is Riley. Yep, younger brother of Lincoln. Those guys have figured out how to operate a high scoring offense in today’s rules. And,yes, it involves a strong Running game that uses Option techniques.

We have different QB’s in 2023. Perhaps they are more like Duggan?

How much of CT not being called upon to run had to do with the leg muscle pull against, I believe, Tulane? Could have been @ NT. IMHO, calling QB runs was kept down in fear of injury (lack of seasoned backup QB) or reinjury to earlier leg damage.

Clayton Tune was NOT the problem.

Tune was a talented QB who could both run, pass, and manipulate defenses like very few players can in this game.

Dana did not utilize Tune as much as he should have, he limited him at things he excelled at. (His legs, throwing on the move out the pocket, tempo) by trying to force him Into something he’s not by running an outdated offense in the modern game.

Even with that, he had a great season. But the misuse of talent & outdated Philosophy is in Dana…

Simply put, this is on the staff and athletic department. Not the players. The players are not being maximized like they should be.

Jalen Hurts, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Justin Fields are all examples of how running QBs who can pass succeed in the NFL.

1 Like