And the Big Ten gets Richer, $54M per School

Big woo! That’s like being the biggest pile of crap in the dump. I bet the big 10 regrets that decision almost every day.

They may have regretted inviting Rutgers, but the Big 10 has invited the following flagship state universities since 1990: Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers. Rutgers, in theory, brings the New Jersey and New York markets.

I’m betting as long as that 54 million dollar check clears that could really give two craps about Rutgers

1 Like

I’d hate to join a conference in which we have no regional rivals and the closest match up is 1000 miles away. Chances are anyway, this new contract doesn’t have a bonus for adding new members. So the bigger the contract, the more money they would lose by splitting with one or two more members. The best hope for UH joining a P5 conference is joining right before the end of a contract and not at the beginning of a new one.

Michigan State and Purdue are not flagships. But your point is good.

[quote=“Ron1102, post:6, topic:19081, full:true”]
CFB Hierarchy
B1G = Billionaires
SEC = Millionaires
ACC = New Money
B12 = Upper Middle Class
P12 = Middle Class
AAC = Soon to move up to Lower Middle Class
Everyone else = Poverty
[/quote]

Looks like even with ACC TV revenue, ACC won’t be overtaking the Big 12.

Well the ACC has 4 more mouths to feed than the B12. If the ACC had 10 teams, they would probably distribute $42M per school before the ACC Network kicks in.

What the numbers are really saying is the ACC has too many garbage teams in small markets.

2 Likes

Yep. UNC, NCST, DUKE, and WAKE all in same state.

1 Like

And they were smart enough NOT to call it the University of New Jersey!

But that’s the conference that some folks want us to be in!

1 Like

Yes.

The population of the state of New Jersey is 8.9 million. The population of the Houston area is 6 million. Not to mention the fact that adding UH adds lends much credibility to leveraging the entire state of Texas, 29 million, to conference networks. The B1G is going to add schools that add money, flagship state school or not. It’s likely that UH is actually worth more than Rutgers to a P5 conference. The same goes for Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Iowa State and Texas Tech. And then add the fact that Houston is a huge market for football talent and recruiting.

Texas has, in the past, wanted an in-State travel partner for realignment. It’s very likely that these P5 conferences would rather have UH than any of the other in-State options. Even stand-alone, UH has tons of worth to a conference that understands what UH can be once UH is in a P5.

4 Likes

As I’ve said, Rutgers fits the “profile” of a typical B1G invite:

a) its particular State’s “flagship” public university (all except Northwestern)
b) AAU member (all current members at time of invite)
c) adjacent to the existing B1G footprint at time of invite

UH does NOT fit that profile.

And of course, the greater NYC media market is larger than ours is.

UT fits 2 of the 3 requirements. Will B1G make an exception for them?

1 Like

Unlikely given that they don’t fit all three.

I will say this though. IF the B1G ever invited a TX school (which isn’t likely; TX is pretty far outside their geographic footprint), then it would most likely be UT-Austin.

Most B1G schools are their particular state’s versions of UT-Austin.

I think the B1G knows it’s mostly located in a dying part of the country and will look to expand into the growth area - Texas. I could see UH, UT, OU & Kansas all get an invite into the B1G!

Not OH or UH unless one or both attains AAU status in the near future.

Those B1G schools aren’t “dying” when it comes to attendance, fan support, media coverage/interest, or national following.

If you don’t believe me, then just look at the $54M each just got.

If that’s “dying,” then please give UH the DEATH PENALTY!!!

Remember, their geographic footprint includes large media markets like NYC/NJ, Chicago, Philly, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Indianapolis, Detroit, etc. They have more than enough large media markets to get by without Houston.

2 Likes

I can assure you that they do NOT regret adding the NYC media market.

Actually, Michigan State and Purdue both enjoy “co-flagship” status within their states, much in the same way that aTm could be thought of as a “co-flagship” with UT.

Both are also AAU members.

As a goof, I just looked up the endowments of the B1G schools.

UH would be next to last behind only Maryland, if we were in the B1G:

Michigan: 11.9B
Northwestern: 11B
Ohio State: 5.2B
Penn State: 3.6B
Minnesota: 3.5B
Illinois: 3.46B
Mich St: 3B
Wisc: 2.75B
Purdue: 2.43B
Indiana: 2.29B
Nebraska: 1.48B
Iowa: 1.37B
Rutgers: 1.3B
Maryland: 640 million

UH sits at 942 milion

THIS!!! And, to add a candle on top, they would keep the PAC out!

1 Like