And the Big Ten gets Richer, $54M per School

Give me a break, please!! Rutgers is a lot of things, but they sure as hell dont deliver the NYC media market…Flugar has been a reliable source for B1G news, and it seems clear they have intention to expand into southwest. They will ask Texas.You think Texas turns down 54 mil a year? If they do, we are a viable alternative…This is a war between Fox and ESPN, B1G and ACC…Texas will go to one, we have good shot at where ever they DONT go…
I personally think Texas and OU want to affiliate with richest and most powerful conference with great rep and academics too. ESPN and ACC will respond by bringing us into their fold, and also try and persuade Notre Dame into full membership with ACC .
B1G and ACC, with backing of their respective networks, attain superconference status.
Welcome to the future…

3 Likes

I’m hoping uta arranges something with ACC similar to what Notre Dame has now. They go there, and we wind up in the BIG along with Kansas and OU. THAT, or we go to the SEC along with OU.

I mainly want us to end up in ANY Power-5 Conference, while uta goes elsewhere - ANY other place will do [I am trying to be nice; I could suggest some OTHER place where uta could go!].

1 Like

You could be right, and I hope you are, but Flugar indicated in his next to last tweet we might be headed to the PAC. Could be a “if nothing else” kind of comment.

1 Like

You are right, Cougar85, there is no doubt the situation in 2024 is going to be fluid…With all the previous work we have done to gain PAC 12 attention and their own neediness, in comparison with rival B1G . its a question of them making a move. I know that B1G and PAC are allies, and PAC could likely make a move at around same time as B1G, to get a deal done before ACC does something…The PAC 12 deal makes most sense because they realize the need for expansion into central time zone…It is going to be interesting to see the timing and how all this plays out…

2 Likes

aldineblue,

Rutgers certainly delivers the NYC market better than any other Division I-FBS program would. For that matter, Maryland delivers the DC market in the same way.

That’s why those two schools were invited.

Don’t let anyone tell you any differently.

Until UH attains AAU status, don’t look for the B1G to invite us.

They would invite UT before UH, given that UT is both a “state flagship” and an AAU member.

But they’d invite UVa and UNC before that, as both of those schools a) are adjacent to their existing geographic footprint, b) are state flagships and c) are AAU members.

these two schools have given their gor to the acc until 2035. They are not available

1 Like

I’m not sure how one attains AAU status, but if the members have any say, and with UT being a member, expect the blackball to fall when our name is brought up.

Yes, they would; but what if uta declines the invitation because BIG will not accept the LHN, and uta then chooses to go in another direction? If BIG still wants to get into the state of Texas, they just might decide to change their rules!

2 Likes

Thanks, man. Saved me the trouble.

Do you have any TV ratings from last year that back up your claim. I have friends and relatives from both NYC and DC and they couldn’t care less about those two schools. For the DC folks I know it’s UVA and for NYC it’s either whoever ESPN is in love with that year or Penn State.

1 Like

I lived in the DC area for several years. Did two stints at the Pentagon, and went to language school there.

Trust me as somehow who has been there, and KNOWS.

MD has a BIG following in the DC area. It’s geographically right there in the DC area, just on the other side of the DC border. UVA is NOT. MD sports get every bit as much (if not more) attention in the local DC media as UVa sports, and more importantly, MD was adjacent to the B1G’s then existing geographic footprint.

Again, UVa was not.

Given that, it should be NO surprise to you that MD was invited.

As for Rutgers, I challenge you to do this:

Name ANOTHER State Flagship U., AAU member, Division I-FBS program adjacent to the B1G’s then existing geographic footprint that would have better captured the NYC/NJ market than Rutgers.

Hint: you WON’T be able to, because NO OTHER SUCH SCHOOL exists.

Given that, it’s hardly surprising that they took Rutgers, and given that NO OTHER SUCH SCHOOL would have similarly helped them to capture the NYC/NJ market, it’d be pretty silly to say that they “regret” taking them.

Not sure if this is still true, but as of 2011, Rutgers was indeed the highest rated college football team in New York City.

So you asked for TV ratings to back up what I was saying about Rutgers, eh?

Challenge met.

Dude, calm down. I was just asking for some backup to your opinion, that’s all. Sheesh.

Rutgers is located within the New York metropolitan of over 20 million people and only 36 miles from the New York city hall.

Before anyone talks about TV rating, the money starts with the cable subscription fees that the Big Ten Network is bringing in.

I don’t know how many homes, apartments and businesses may have cable subscription but let’s go with 4 million and the premium fee charged is $1.50 per month. Because of adding Rutgers, the B1G would bring in $6M per month.

I’m doing simple math but that’s $72M per year because of the Big Ten Network in the New York market. $72M ÷ 14 schools = $5.1M per school from the New York market. The B1G and FOX has the exact numbers but they are probably somewhere in that vicinity.

It doesn’t matter how awful Rutgers football is, the B1G is laughing all the way to the bank.

Adding UH with the Houston market can do something similar but smaller for the P12 or ACC networks.

And this is before money from football and basketball games viewership, tournaments and playoff.

2 Likes

I don’t see a scenario where we are added to any conference with OU or TU. The B10 or P12 may propose this but the power B12 schools would educate them on the sleeping giant fear they’ve both made public and convince said conference to add Tech, Pokes, any other B12 schools that will “stay in their lane.” I don’t see this keeping us out of the P5 altogether but it is an obstacle.

What sleeping giant? We aren’t even a giant in our conference where all programs suffer the same handicaps we do. What makes you believe we’ll be the next Alabama if only we were in a P5?

1 Like

P5 or Bust we would be in any conference what we are in the AAC which is a year in and year out conference contender in Football, Basketball and Baseball. We wouldn’t be Alabama in football just like Alabama wouldn’t be Houston in basketball. But we would be a handful of schools that legitimately would be in the conversation in all three sports. (Granted Baseball needs to get it together).

2 Likes

Make that all FOUR sports (T&F).

2 Likes

Golf needs to get it together as well.

2 Likes

Yes. Its why I feel good about UH in the next expansion round.

From this article:
“ACC being tied for fourth without its own network launched yet is important. We don’t necessarily know how much the ACC Network will net for schools, though high-end estimates are coming in at $8-10 million. That probably needs more carriers signed on than the current list — though DirecTV is a big fish right off the bat. Even a lift of $5-6 million would put the ACC at parity with the Big 12 (which can’t have a channel as long as the Longhorn Network is around).”

The need more markets for the ACC Network to max out the $.

2 Likes