Areas for Improvement in 2024

Areas for Improvement in 2024

This preview hinges on the ambition to be title contenders. Without any changes, we would likely still rank within the top 25 teams. Therefore, it’s crucial to clarify that this analysis is within the context of competing for A championship.

Defense: Our defense is a clear strength. Even without significant enhancements, it’s already robust enough to secure a title. The team has not struggled defensively; in fact, we have several defensive rotations that border on dominance. However, the challenge lies in maintaining a potent offense while leveraging these strengths. A critical aspect of Coach Sampson’s defensive strategy is the effectiveness of point-of-attack defense—specifically, our point guard must prevent the opposing point guard from penetrating off the dribble. our trap defense tends to falter if the pg is beat regularly, but Uzan has demonstrated capability, suggesting this won’t be a concern. Defense, as a whole, is not a worry, except for our historical vulnerability to powerful, low-post scorers who can distribute the ball and are surrounded by shooters. We are contenders without any improvement and we should anticipate levels of improvement.

Rebounding: Against larger teams, our rebounding remains a weak point, particularly among our starters. However, there are backup lineups with the potential for strong rebounding performance, especially if Lath develops into a more formidable box-out threat. Overall, we excel against smaller teams, but teams with significant size and rebounding prowess pose a challenge. While reaching a dominant level of rebounding might not be achievable this upcoming season, there is substantial room for improvement. Several of our taller guards, including Uzan and McCarthy, possess the physical attributes necessary to improve their rebounding skills. Similarly, Arc and Sharp have the potential to enhance their performance in this area.

Offense: Addressing our team’s offensive capabilities presents the more challenging aspect of this analysis. To be candid, without significant improvements, our current roster lacks the offensive prowess necessary for title contention. Last year’s offense, even with Shead, was inconsistent, leading to prolonged scoring droughts, often requiring extraordinary efforts to recover from. With Uzan, a reluctant scorer, and the absence of Dunn—who was projected as our second-best driver—the potential for scoring difficulties looms larger. However, there is significant potential for improvement in this area.

Improvement Areas for Key Players

• Milos Uzan: Uzan, capable of passing and decent one-on-one defense, faces multiple areas for impovement. Free-throw shooting emerges as a critical improvement point, alongside a deeper understanding of our defensive system. Despite his height, his rebounding needs work, and a significant increase in physicality is necessary. Offensively, driving is his strength, yet he seldom reaches the free-throw line. Leadership and a more commanding presence on the court are intangible areas needing growth. Though not imperative to our success, his shooting abilities could also see improvement in frequency and percentage, improving his shooting could significantly benefit the team.

Stat wise his shooting just bad, but his form isnt that bad

some defensive plays

• Sharp and Cryer: Grouping these two, their development areas align closely. They bear the offensive load for the team next year, but their effectiveness as drastically reduced against top-level defenders. For the team to excel, it’s critical that one or both emerge as stars. Their ability to drive and score against elite defenders needs significant improvement.

• Jwan: In his sixth year, Jwan’s understanding of our system is solid. His improvement could come from incorporating more drives into his post-up play and enhancing his free-throw shooting. While not necessary for the team, improving his three-point shooting could be vital for his professional aspirations.

• Francis: Adding over 15 pounds during the offseason could unlock his potential for national defensive player of the year honors. While free-throw shooting may not be his strength, avoiding air balls would be a start. The key for Francis is to regain his aggressiveness, which diminished after Tugler’s injury, could lie in developing depth behind him allowing him to play more freely without the pressure of having no substitutes like last year and worrying about foul trouble.

Bench:

Our bench players hold substantial potential for development, which could prove crucial in deepening our roster’s competitiveness. Let’s look into their specific areas for improvement.

• Tugler: Tugler’s progression has been promising, and there are circulating rumors about his improved shooting abilities. Seeing him demonstrate this skill in the next season would be a significant boost. Encouraging his shooting development could add a vital layer to our offensive strategy.

• Terrance Arceneaux: Currently, Arc’s performance is “just okay at everything” but lacks specialization; he’s adequate in various aspects without excelling in any. The key to his evolution is to adopt a more aggressive approach in a specific area, be it driving, defense, shooting, rebounding, or passing. A focused improvement in one domain can redefine his contribution to the team. Unlike Sharp, who has successfully shed the “development player” label, Arc still needs to make a definitive mark to drop that label. I’m setting a tangible goal for him, which is achieving two games with 24 points or more next season, I think is something he can achieve.

• Mylik: While the statement “Mylik is who he is” suggests a limited scope for drastic improvements, maintaining and slightly enhancing his current skill set can still contribute positively to the team’s overall dynamics.

• Ramon: Ramon’s focus should continue to be on refining his abilities as an open catch-and-shoot 3-point shooter. Eliminating any hesitation in his shot will make him a more reliable and formidable threat from the perimeter. Consistency in this area could significantly stretch defenses and create more space for his teammates.

• Lath: Lath’s development appears to be in its early stages, needing a broad scope for improvement across various facets of his game. But would love to see him improve as a boxout threat

Players Yet to Debut in Division 1: Key Concerns

Miller

The primary question surrounding Miller is whether his offensive game will successfully transition to Division 1. He’s an underrated rebounder, averaging 10 rebounds a game in high school, but it remains to be seen if this will translate at a higher level. His defensive play in high school was minimal, raising concerns about whether he can achieve at least passable defense in college. However, I believe he has the potential to do so. With the highest offensive potential among our bench players, Miller’s development is something to watch closely.

McCarthy

McCarthy boasts an impressive wingspan and good agility, positioning him to potentially become our best guard defender as a true freshman. Despite his physical attributes, he’s not a strong rebounder, although there’s room for improvement under Sampson’s guidance. His athleticism isn’t standout, and while we may not expect much offensively in his first year (handles arent great for a guard/wing), his ability to exploit mismatches—shooting when left open and driving against slower players—is notable. Having played significant minutes in the IMG/private school league, which is comparable to some college levels, McCarthy’s transition is highly anticipated.

McFarland

McFarland is notable for his exceptional ability to run the court (vertical), resembling a guard’s mobility. His primary experience was guarding centers in high school that leaves his lateral quickness and ability to defend guards as intriguing unknowns. His reputation as one of the best shot blockers in California suggests defensive promise, though his lack of physicality in high school is a point of interest for his offseason development. While there are rumorrs of him being a shooter, the absence of significant evidence or high school stats to support this leaves his offensive capabilities somewhat uncertain. His mobility may offer fast break and cutting opportunities, but beyond that, expectations for his offensive contribution are tempered.

KJ

With Shead’s departure, KJ is poised to become the most aggressive and physically intense “dog” on the team. His style resembles that of an undersized wing, boasting decent skills in shooting, ball handling, and passing, yet without any particularly standout trait. KJ’s defensive fervor and intensity will likely be his most significant contribution to the team, though finding his exact fit within next year’s lineup remains a challenge.

32 Likes

I thought Wilson was brought in to be a backup PG. If that is the case, I would like to see him work more with our pick and roll offense. Seemed the only person who could execute it correctly was Shead.

1 Like

TBH, the biggest improvement we need on offense comes from Coaching. I haven’t posted as much after the loss against Duke because I was so frustrated during the game and disappointed after. CKS, for all his strengths, is terrible with X’s and O’s. Shead got hurt, OK. But why try to have Cryer mimic Shead 's style? Make adjustments based on who we have!

The offense was running through Roberts and Francis to put foul pressure on their bigs, but we were behind and our bigs were fouling out. Why did we completely stop shooting the three ball? Guys are saying Duke was playing tight perimeter defense, but I saw the game and they weren’t anything special. We went from shooting 34 threes against A&M to shooting 8 threes against Duke. That’s not makes, that’s attempts. Duke did not prevent us from even attempting more threes. That was a coaching decision.

The questionable play calling has been a constant through his tenure, but he makes up for it any many other ways. It just takes brute force for us to get passed good teams. It’s energy draining for the guys on the floor and heightens the likelihood of injury, which has also been a constant through CKS’ tenure.

Do I think we can get over this and win us a natty? Hell yea! But it’s almost like purposely choosing the more difficult path. If we had the same guys and did everything the same but also made adjustments, call, better plays on offense, and have guys moving around more, I truly believe we would already have a natty already.

This is not me saying we need to get rid of CKS, so y’all don’t even try that. But we can be critical of our own and it’s only for their benefit.

1 Like

Oofta.

4 Likes

With Shead we make the Final Four
With Tug and TA we would have been on a collision course with UCONN for the best in America.

5 Likes

I agree he’s terribad. Is Drexler still available?

7 Likes

Just on your point this just popped up in my Twitter feed and it just highlights how important just plain luck in playoff/tournament basketball matters. For us it has been health luck, but in 1983 it was the what if Benny corals that inbound steal or Olajuwon doesn’t get pulled away from his spot in that sequence.

https://twitter.com/ClutchPoints/status/1780319415449338236?t=bLZU-wmnSJdHg0xtLYAnuQ&s=19

But to stay in the thread for the next season. The most important thing individually from players is someone in our 4/5 group most likely Roberts, Tugler, and TA have to be consistently credible to score from outside the paint. Coaching wise I think we’d all like to see the offensive sets evolve enough to eliminate the scoring droughts of last year. Sometimes it’s just ball going in the basket, sometimes it’s the sets not developing enough to get easy looks.

Roberts is going to be good offensively next year. He had started to burn people using his right hand before he ended up with the stiches. That will be part of his game again and should help.
Tugler will obviously progress more, and with MacFarland and Lath also developing we will have good depth at a position that didn’t have it the last part of last season. This will also help improve our rebounding as well.
Not having to play small lineups as often.
I do wonder how much having a healthy foot will help Cryer both on defense and on offense.

1 Like

This is a little strong and actually incorrect. We run some good stuff but there isn’t an on the fly plan for losing your Big 12 POY PG. The criticism belongs at the feet of roster construction. Undersized team with 3 non shooters in the starting lineup isn’t going to lead to beautiful offense.

We didn’t have another creator besides Roberts and we still hung tough with Duke. Duke sold out to take the 3 away so we adjusted best we could.

5 Likes

Coach can make a program into national relevance among the blue blood programs. Will he get us over the hump in 2025 and win UH that first chip Elvin Hayes nor Phi Slama Jama couldn’t do in San Antonio…? :thinking:

Answer: Time will tell. I honestly think this may be his best chance because he has depth, size & talent w/athleticism. This team is 100% CKS DNA imprinted in it!!!

2 Likes

I think imho this is that one spot up for grabs, the back up pg position.

Candidates are Wilson or Jefferson. I know Mercy Miller brought up the ball in HS but he probably plays at the SG position with Cryer seeing some Pg minutes as a 5th year senior.

Let’s be real… Wilson is a wing stuck in a point guard’s body but has gotten a bit better and has a whole off season to work on it without worrying about staying!!!

Exactly this.

And why I asked why the “2-deep at every position” is something you kept stating.

I get that we have options that can (and will - likely adequetely) serve as “the backup PG”. I’m also fine with that. I think that can work.

But none of those options (at PG) are actually Point Guards as their primary MO’s. That’s why I don’t think of that position as being “2-deep”.

But if others do…fine. I guess I’d then ask why isn’t anyone saying we are actually 6 deep: Uzan…(PLUS Wilson, Cryer, Sharp, Jefferson, Miller) at “backup PG”. Conceptually the same claim (but also off-base in my mind).

Again, not saying “1-deep” is doomed to fail. Just thinking it more humbly describes the reality of our line up.

2 Likes

Just saying it is incorrect is putting it mildly but didn’t feel like it was worth explaining to someone wanting to find another to blame for the loss.

2 Likes

Not sure what this is but I personally couldn’t make it past you saying CKS is bad at x and o’s.

8 Likes

As long as we solve the issues below in the offseason then we can have a great year.

1. Improve FT shooting of forwards and centers to at least 70%.
    This is two tournament games under CKS’ tenure that was lost at the FT line.

2. No more scoring droughts of 3 minutes.
    If a certain shot or play isn’t there the first time, find another open look or teammate.

3. Find a way to develop some offense that scores under 10 seconds, we cannot allow the defense to rest and set up their defense when we dribble around for 20 seconds.

4. Big men need to learn to catch the ball cleanly and not fumble the ball in the paint.

5. Find new tactics to stop elite skilled big men on the other team.
    Either let them get their points and shut everyone down or choke the passing lanes depending on the personnel and matchups.
    Similar to what UConn did to Purdue.

6. Add some new wrinkles and plays in the defense/offense.
    Teams are now figuring us out if given enough days to break down tape.
    We aren’t surprising teams anymore in the Big 12.

2 Likes

FT!!!

1 Like

Last two sentences.

I think a couple of people in here started stating this because of a Tweet from Fran Fraschilla. He used to coach back in the day for St John’s. He knows more basketball in his index finger than all of us combined in Coogfans. Always talking great about our program and Coach Sampson for years!!!

Can’t blame fans for getting excited for the prospects of the team next season. On paper they look mighty salty!!!

2 Likes

Milos Uzan putting in work :eyes::eyes::eyes: :fire:

Either, Pesik going to look like a Genius or… a ignorant moron. No in between… And for the sake of our program… I hope the latter.

3 Likes

We had a great season last year without addressing any of this issues. Some of the improvements you are suggesting are pretty vague but we can improve for sure.

1 Like