Aresco

At least he didn’t say we were the Texans

1 Like

We Tonto? On another thread you stated that you’re a UT sports fan. So does that mean the Longhorns?

I said I have a degree from both schools. I even said my money goes to UH. Y’all get pissy if I say anything positive about UT, and they get pissy when I defend UH. It is what it is.

1 Like

Tough to speak positively about the football program as we’ve been a complete dumpster fire the past two seasons. I’m not going to pretend things are going well if they aren’t. Beyond the immediate, we’ve only won one conference title in the past 14 seasons. Let’s not act like the AAC has been some amazing place for UH football.

Are you just upset your boy Applewhite got the ax for Holgorson? Let’s face these last few seasons were going to be a dumpster if Applewhite was the coach as well.

Also the only reason the AAC hasn’t been amazing for UH is because of decisions UH made (like hiring Applewhite). You don’t see UCF, SMU, Tulane or Tulsa pining for the old C-USA.

3 Likes

Its all about the money regarding P5/P6. He has gotten the AAC to be the most respected G5, but the real leap is on the money side.

2 Likes

Yes indeed it’s all about the money. I wonder as part of negotiating to be P6, would Aresco offer taking less CFP payout then receive a full payout share in 5 years?

The television rights for a proposed 12-team playoff could be worth about $1.9 billion annually, according to projections from Navigate Research, which consults with professional sports leagues and college conferences.

The Chicago-based company said ticket sales and sponsorship deals that currently account for about 15% of College Football Playoff revenue could push the total takeaway to more than $2 billion per year.

ESPN’s current deal with the CFP pays about $470 million per year. ESPN has separate contracts with the Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls that up the network’s total layout to more than $600 million annually to be the television home of college football’s most important postseason games.

The Power Five conference’s get most of that revenue. According to the most recent figures available from 2019-20 season, the Big Ten, Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference, Pac-12 and Southeastern Conference received $67 million each from the CFP. The other five FBS conferences shared $92 million.

Does it work that way? I figured they made more because they appeared in more games. If P6 happened, we’d make more money because we’d appear in more games, but still substantially fewer than the rest because we wouldn’t appear in as many games. So I’m not sure we could make that offer. Conversely, I’m not sure what letting us in would actually cost them.

That $67M has nothing to do with the number of games. That is the base amount each P5 gets from the CFP before any playoffs games are played. Teams in the playoff will get millions more for their conference.

1 Like

So the Big 12 and Pac-12 and SEC all get the same amount? (Before playoff appearance bonuses)?

Yep

ACC
$66 million base payout

$6 million for Clemson’s semifinal berth in the Fiesta Bowl

$27.5 million for Virginia’s berth in the Orange Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the ACC and the Orange Bowl)

Big 12

$66 million base payout

$6 million for Oklahoma’s semifinal berth in the Peach Bowl

$40 million for Baylor’s berth in the Sugar Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the Big 12 and the Sugar Bowl)

Note: The Big 12 awards its participating team in the semifinals a $2 million participation subsidy.

Big Ten

$66 million base payout

$6 million for Ohio State’s semifinal berth in the Fiesta Bowl

$4 million for Penn State’s berth in the Cotton Bowl

$40 million for Wisconsin’s berth in the Rose Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the Big Ten and the Rose Bowl)

Pac-12

$66 million base payout

$40 million for Oregon’s berth in the Rose Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the Pac-12 and the Rose Bowl)

SEC

$66 million base payout

$6 million for LSU’s semifinal berth in the Peach Bowl

$40 million for Georgia’s berth in the Sugar Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the SEC and the Sugar Bowl)

$27.5 million for Florida’s berth in the Orange Bowl (average annual payout pursuant to a contract between the SEC and the Orange Bowl)

Note: The SEC allows the school participating in the semifinals to keep $2.05 million, with an additional $2.15 million if the team makes it to the championship game. Georgia and Florida will also each receive the $2.05 million participation bonus for the Sugar and Orange Bowls.

The American

$4 million for Memphis’ berth in the Cotton Bowl

Group of 5

$90 million collective pool

The “Group of 5” (the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference) divide their collective pool pursuant to an agreement and formula devised by those conferences. Although that formula has not been formally disclosed to the public, reports have the majority shared equally, with a small portion set aside to be distributed based on performance.

Thanks. Looking closer, the rule is technically that conferences with a bowl agreement get the extra money. Of course, the five conferences that have that arrangement are the same five conferences that are in the autonomous five. But I don’t think that has to be the case, and we could be members of the autonomous six without a bowl agreement and the millions that come with it.