Arizona coach hired at UW

Man, I must’ve been busy this week, since I missed the news that Alabama hired the UDub coach DeBoer. I’m curious to see who Arizona hires and weather QB hits the portal.

Seeing that Arizona was on the rise having beaten Kansas (edit: beat Oklahoma) in the bowl game and almost beating UW, I’m hoping they aren’t as good next year. Before the departure of their coach, I was thinking this would be a tough game for the Coogs.

Mention of current AZ OC/OL coach.
Maybe HC Brennan from San Jose. Brennan played at AZ & a GA there.
14 games under .500 at SJSU but pretty good since 3 wins in 1st 2 seasons.

…and some say the p2 is not there…

2 Likes

P2 will not be pushed until the next round of expansion. ESPN needs people to think the Big 13 and ACC are relevant for the next few years.

1 Like

I know a head coach currently available who has experience bringing teams into new conferences, Two teams as a matter of fact.

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1746656033785647266?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1746656033785647266|twgr^7354f3df32b46f25bce0db187e432feebf1e7f06|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcsnbbs.com%2Fthread-984923.html

Jedd Fisch accepts Washington job, sources told

@ActionNetworkHQ

Arizona has team meetings w/in next hour. Arizona had opportunity to get Fisch new deal but it wasn’t a priority for school, source said.

Arizona should interview Grubb

I would like AZ to stay as a tough team. We need for as many good teams in the B12 as possible in order to have more clout when it comes to TV negotiations and it adds to our SOS.

7 Likes

second that, big12 needs to keep the good coaches, i’m worried someone may pick off the utah coach who has been very good for years.

but coaches move all the time, the real test for the big12 imo is if a acc coach will go to the big12.

I don’t think the utah coach wants to go anywhere at his age. I think he played in the state.

2 Likes

@nwcougar Arizona beat OU in the bowl game.

Kansas beat UNLV in theirs.

Kinda mixed on Jedd Fisch leaving the Big 12. We need very good programs, for the league to get more respect

Right now: Utah, Kansas St are the top

2 Likes

Arizona can’t afford a good coach. They had a $240Million mistake!

1 Like

Mentioned in a UA blog/ forums they lost a few coaches already over $.
Easy to see the entire staff headed to WA now for a raise & the talent going w them.

AZ needs to run lean and mean on $ in the short term. Going to be hard in football.

Can’t afford to hang with the big boys in paying your coach, then to the back of the bus

Yeah, that’s right, they beat OK. I got them mixed up. Arizona will be tough regardless. Hopefully Fritz prepares the team better than Holgorson.

This is correct. Kyle Whittingham played at BYU in the 80s, but turned them down when offered that job way back when. He found a dream situation at Utah (was originally brought on by McBride and his father Fred), and has earned the respect of the entire national coaching community over what he built on the foundations laid down by Ron McBride, with a shot of adrenaline from Urban Meyer (who … THANK GOD AMIGHTY - was gone after only 2 years).

Kyle raised his kids here, and is even more rooted here than Saban was in Alabama, and has been pretty clear about no desire to suddenly change his life in his old age (Mid to late 60s). He’s that rare example of a man who lives his faith, and was never seriously lured by massive money and fame promises.

Aside from the personal bias toward my ALma Mater for sports, I would hold him up as a role model to any young collegiate man (hell, even some women) as to what type of behavioral model they should emulate. Perfect? of course not. But a damn sight better than the majority of college coaches I can remember in my life.

6 Likes

Sampson, this is pretty much the reaction we Utah fans had to Urban Meyer, after HE LIED TO OUR FACES (literally, in my case, as I was at the freezing College Game Day show before our BYU game that clinched the Fiesta Bowl) and said on live TV he wasnt going anywhere… 2 weeks later the news about Florida.

Every single Utah fan who was active back then will have massive sympathy for the Arizona Fans. Something for us to bond over as we head into Big 12 life.

1 Like

Okie State is a solid program.

He has a great first name for sure… :sunglasses:

It’s been so long since Arizona was successful enough to have their coach poached, none of their fan base that is alive can handle the situation.