Arizona votes NO on new NHL arena....could the team come to Houston?

I think the market would support a team. I was looking at the attendance numbers and WHA Aeros averaged 9000 per game in the 70’s. The minor league Aeros avg 6000 plus their last year in Houston.

1 Like

I lived in the DC Metro when the Caps won the cup. It was a crazy time. People were crying.

Houston better step it up. A consortium has already approved a plan to build a new hockey arena in the North Atlanta Metro area (Alpharetta/Cumming) to house an NHL team. Will include an entertainment district too, similar to the area near the Braves stadium in Cobb County (“The Battery”).

Atlanta has already lost two teams, but is the third time the charm?

We need Tillman involved someway as he is good at developing entertainment venues.

So far Tillman hasn’t seemed interested in buying a team, but he said he would love to have a team play at the Toyota Center. I don’t see that happening its not in the best interests of a team to pay rent that was the issue in Phoenix when they were playing at the Suns arena.

With Tillman thinking expansion team I like this move.
"sale of the team from Alex Meruelo to Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith "

I don’t. I thought that was our best chance of getting a franchise.

I hope expansion is still a possibility.

2 Likes

How in the world did we NOT land the Coyotes???

Houston > Utah

Was Tilman not serious about this?

As Yul Brenner would say……TIZ….A PUZZLEMENT!!!

1 Like

Coyotes owner hasn’t let it be known the team was for sale and their plan was to buy land at a state auction in June and build an arena/entertainment/luxury apartment complex with private funds. That all changed pretty fast I don’t know if Tillman knew they were for sale or NHL has got thier plan on Houston being an expansion candidate.

I hate the idea that getting any team to come to Houston (or anywhere else, for that matter) is contingent on taxpayers having to pony up money to build the owner a bigger sandbox.

Thats why Tillman needs to own the team because no other owner is going to come pay rent at Toyota Center they will need their own venue to make it work financially.