Arizona votes NO on new NHL arena....could the team come to Houston?

God I hope so!

Here’s what the Chronicle has to say:

3 Likes

Would be nice.

1 Like

With the steady trend of southern migration the last several years, Houston is one option that makes sense.

I’M ACTUALLY A COYOTES FAN AND I AM ON BOARD

1 Like

@TucsonCoog

We are all familiar with the Arizona Coyotes’ misadventures out in the desert.

But how are their minor league affiliates like the Tucson Roadrunners doing these days?

How KEWL would it be if the Yotes moved to Houston, and we then moved their minor league teams to Beaumont and Katy respectively?

1 Like

I also vote no.

I’d be for them coming here. Houston is much larger now then when we had the Aeros.
Support should be there. And being that NHL rivals basketball in attendance, it’s no longer
that “other sport”. I assume that existing arenas( Toyota Center) and rinks would meet
the needs and not require any public funds to build new facilities. I’d even be in favor of
the city using a few million ($5-6) of economic development funds to help with any renovations
that may be needed to help sweeten a deal.

The original Aeros with Gordie Howe used to outdraw the Rockets at the Summit back in the mid-70s.

The market is there!

1 Like

Go Canes!

The Tucson Roadrunners have done ok.

Lots of Snowbirds here which helps attendance.

Have read nothing suggesting they are in financial trouble and might move.

But,honestly, am not a Hockey fan and merely see them mentioned on the local TV sports programs.

“Houston should be very bullish on getting a team at some point,”

Houston odds-on favorite to get the Arizona team?

https://twitter.com/ShaunBijani/status/1659292573465210890?s=20

Would be nice.

But I’ve heard a few rumors that the Yotes may try to get a new Phoenix arena deal

If they did come here and Uncle Tilman doesn’t own the team would he be willing to split Toyota Center revenue 50/50 or would another arena have to be built somewhere in the area for the NHL ? The Aeros left because they couldn’t afford the rent there for the money they were bringing in but that was minor league hockey compared to the NHL.

I really enjoy the game, but I don’t follow it close because I don’t really have a rooting interest but if a team came here that would change instantly.

1 Like

For now I root for the Caps thanks to my years spent in the DC area. The one NHL game I attended was a Caps game. Still have my Ovechkin jersey.

But I’ll completely switch my loyalty if Houston gets a NHL team.

I’ve also seen D1 college hockey (Colorado College, AFA, and UAF), and minor league hockey (Beaumont and Fairbanks). That’s fun too!

I saw four IHL/AHL Aeros games back in the day.

Sadly I was too young to see Gordie Howe and the original WHA Aeros.

1 Like

My first Aeros game was in the mid 70’s and they gave away Hockey gloves. Great memories getting Gordie Howe’ s autograph and John Gray giving me his broken stick. Not getting my hopes up because been through this so many times. But it would be great to have Hockey back and especially at the highest level.

I went to a lot of Aeros games during their IHL/AHL days including their very first game in 94. I have only been to one NHL game I went to see Anaheim vs New Jersey at The Pond in 2003. Martin Brodeur was worth the price of admission what an amazing goalie that guy was in his prime. I still have the Ducks jersey I bought that night I just got a plain with no number for lasting power.

1 Like

I have doubts that the city can support another pro team. And if they can, I think it will come at our expense. Hockey tickets are very expensive currently,

“Ticket prices for NHL games will change based on each team’s level of success and how big their fan base is. The average price of NHL tickets is generally around $90 to $130 . The most expensive games to attend in the league are those hosted by the Toronto Maple Leafs, New York Rangers and the Nashville Predators.”

There is a very good article on this in the Athletic (pay wall) that goes into price in depth. Worth a read if you have a subscription and love hockey.

Love hockey. I grew up on Hockey and had season tickets for past Houston teams. Unfortunately, can’t afford to support both, so the Coogs for the win.

I see $30, $40, and $50 tickets for Dallas Stars for mini season ticket plans.

1 Like

That’s encouraging!