Astros-Minors

Guilfoil threw another 4 shutout innings to lower his ERA to 1.54

It’s early, but I think we have something there guys.

Also, Gilbert showing the tools……3-4 with two doubles and two steals….average now .356 and OPS .953.

Don’t see him in high A ball for a full season….could see AA by the All-Star break IMO.

3 Likes

Ryan Clifford is a beast.

Hit his second homer last night and 11th RBI’s batting lead off….now hitting .364 with an OPS 1.054.
Also 16 walks and only 15 k’s.
These numbers are elite and he is 19 years old….never played college ball and is tearing up guys that are on average 2-3 years older than him.

Along with Gilbert we may have two future All-Stars on our hands.

4 Likes

Jacob Melton too.

I’d hold off on Melton….he needs to get rolling and prove himself.

Some guys start off slow out of the gate. I think he will be right where those guys are eventually.

A young, natural talent in the mold of Roy Hobbs!!

1 Like

I’m not big top 100 guy but Clifford should be on mid-season lists if he stays anywhere close to the production level he is on now.

1 Like

I agree 100%, however that mostly relates to guys who have a proven track record over years….not someone starting their professional career.

Having said that Melton, Cerny and Barber have all started off slowly and they should improve.

Derek Jeter wanted to quit when he started his minor league career. It’s still super early.

Keep the positive farm vibes flowing. A strong farm is a healthy franchise. Lets hope Abreu doesn’t turn into our next Carlos Lee.

2 Likes

Okay, I can’t ignore him any longer.

I really liked What Joey Loperfido( 7th round 2021 from Duke)showed last year between Low “A” and High “A”.

.316 BA, 25 D, 4 Tr, 12 HR, 69 RBI, 32 SB, .900 OPS

Loperfido has played OF, 1B, and 2B thus far in the minors.

This year they started him back at High “A” ball for 8 games and bumped him up to Corpus AA.

In 16 games combined this year:

.349 BA, 4 D, 2 Tr, 5 HR, 19 RBI, 6 SB, 1.120 OPS

This kid is real. The hit tool is serious and now the power tool is starting to show up.
He turns just 24 in about a week so not bad for a college pick a couple years ago.

I love his versatility. This kid is better than Dubon or Hensley ever thought about being.
It’s possible we see him later this year if injuries occur but most likely next year.

I love the way Brown is challenging guys in a way Click rarely did.

The talent level has increased, especially in the lower levels….might as well push some of the guys in front of them and see what you have.

2 Likes

Gilbert had 2 HR’s and 4 RBI’s last night.

Also,

Here’s a name that has kind of flown under the radar but could wind up helping the big club at some point.

Rhett Kouba—Pitcher out of Dallas Baptist.

Kind of small for a starting pitcher 6’o , 180 lbs….but the kid is a pitcher, not a thrower.
He was a 12th round pick in 2021 and the Astros gave him 125K to get him signed….they see something in him and I agree.

He does not blow people away as his fastball sits 92-93 and can touch 95-96. I’m going to go check him out when Corpus comes to San Antonio.

After being drafted in 2021 he put in 18 innings after throwing 74 in college the same year.

In 2022 he pitched 15 innings in low A and then closed with 55 innings in high A.

Combined stats.

IP—70, H—66, BB—27, SO—85, ERA 4.08, WHIP—1.316

He put in another 18 innings in the AFL.

They started him at Corpus this year and he has shown in a SSS that he can compete at this level.

IP—23, H—20, BB—4, SO 32, ERA—2.70, WHIP—1.029

He is missing bats at this level which is a pretty good indicator that he has good stuff and can control it well.

In addition to the fastball he also throws a sweeping slider….comes in a little slower than a typical slider but breaks to the left more. Similar to what Luis Garcia had really used as a weapon his previous two starts before the 8 pitch start.

I’ve seen Kouba a few times. He does have excellent command. His velo and approach remind me of Greinke in his hood Astros starts. You can see the hitters wondering how he keeps getting them out.

I wonder if the Astros project him as a starter or more as a bullpen guy.

Edit: autocorrect wants to change his name to Koufax, so that’s a good sign. :laughing:

He’s starting in Corpus so far….I think they continue to try and develop him as a 4th, 5th starter type guy….if not he becomes the next Seth Martinez but with better stuff.

You saw him at DBU?

SSS but 32 k’s in 23 innings tells me his stuff has improved since he was drafted.

I saw him at DBU and this year in Corpus - really like him, but I kind of wonder how his stuff will play once hitters seem a few times and get some scouting. I’m of the opinion that you get him up here sooner than later. The old Astros way would keep him down too long, but things may be changing.

1 Like

Agreed, once they have shown an ability to do well at AA they should be looked at as a possible call up.
Heck , Luis came up from high A ball to mlb and stuck.
Of course he was dominating but still….

We also have a nice crop of college arms from the last draft….they are going to be quick risers….most are pretty polished…better to see what they have at 23-24 than 27.

1 Like

Gilbert with another tater and a couple of doubles….gotta believe AA is already being discussed by Brown, minor league coach, and the scouting department.

Gilbert is raking, he will be in Corpus by the All Star break

It’s also time for Hensley to go down….he was given the benefit of the doubt regarding a roster spot this year….

Time to give Kessinger or Leon a shot….it may amount to nothing but nothing is what you are getting from Hensley.

Either are lights out but Kessinger is a more well rounded player than Hensley….Leon is super tools and just has not put it all together….at least with him you have a late game base stealer and some pop in the bat.

1 Like

Last night Leon hit a couple of homeruns.

453’ and 461’