Astros-Minors

Hensley and Salazar down, Brantley and Chas up will be the next moves I assume.

Unless they really feel like they need that 3rd catcher, then its probably Julks down.

Don’t forget Bannon….I’m good with your two moves but Bannon needs to go down for Kessinger.

I never understood that in the first place, unless they were thinking Diaz would play 1B.

Oh sht, forgot about Bannon… I don’t think Kessinger is on the 40 man, is he? Would have to DFA someone, possibly Salazar.

You are correct , he is not, but Bannon offers nothing….He could be released……Mushinski is another that could be released to clear room.

1 Like

I didn’t realize Kessinger has been so good so far in 2023 (he has been pretty mediocre in previous MiLB stops)…

I just pulled up Kessingers stats.

BA—.311

OPS—.915

HR—4

RBI—21

Runs—27

The most impressive to me is 22 BB and only 24 K’s

693 OPS last year at AA tho is concerning

Yeah, for a few years I thought it was a bad 2nd round pick….this year it looks like he’s figured out some things….the BB/K ratio can be a descent look as to whether the guy can handle the next level.

Also, the bar is pretty damn low for what he would be replacing.

Hensley is hitting .129 and has struck out 25 times in 62 AB’s….if you combine what he did last year it’s still just .198 with no power, no speed.

Aside from rookie ball Bannon has never hit above.275 in the minors.

Not saying Grae Kessinger is going to be any kind of savior but he deserves a shot at this point.

The Astros are promoting top prospect Drew Gilbert to Double-A Corpus Christi, a source tells @TheAthletic. Gilbert slashed .361/.421/.686 with 15 extra-base hits in 21 games at High-A Asheville.

— Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) May 8, 2023
1 Like

Yep just saw that….I get to see him in San Antonio now.

1 Like

Nice! I saw him in Asheville a few weeks ago. Very explosive guy, he looks very small though.

1 Like

He is small but he has power and is a really good athlete.

Looking forward to seeing him.

Did anyone else stand out to you when you saw Asheville?

Not really. Melton is toolsy, very fast. Same could be said for Cerny. Neither seemed terribly polished though.

Looks like Melton is starting to get going….Cerny can be a 20/20 guy but he’s off to a really bad start.

Some good arms on that team as well.

Ryan Clifford was promoted to High A ball….Will take over Gilbert’s spot.

Don’t know if anyone was listening to 790 this morning but they had Dana Brown on.

I’m not sure what is going on with Brantley……he was finally with the team after finishing rehab assignment but not active yet.
Brown say cryptic things about giving him time etc.?

Brantley should be embarrassed……I can’t imagine striking a deal with someone and almost immediately saying they have to split to go deal with personal problems……especially when coming off an injury that needed to be rehabbed with the team….( remember he was supposed to be ready by opening day or shortly thereafter before the personal stuff came up)

Now there is another delay for one reason or another….almost to the quarter pole and still nothing.

So Pollard , WTH does this have to do with minors?
Word is that if Gilbert does well at AA we very well may see him on the Astros this year.

What did Dana say about Gilbert this morning?

It wasn’t anything specific….just challenging guys…then after he was off one of the guys was saying that “within the building “ the team was going to be watching Gilbert closely and if he does well with Corpus he will be in Houston this season.

Do you think that’s a bit soon?