Attendance is OK so far! (TURN THE COURT AND THE CAMERAS)

I am now retired and my wife’s employer allows her to leave at 3:15 on game days. We live in the Woodlands, on the road by 4:15 / 4:30 or so and have been getting into the parking garage at 5:30 or so. We’re lucky and don’t have much traffic on Scoot to Holman when we exit at 5:20 off I45. I appreciate all COOGFANS having to work and do their best to get to Fertitta by game time.

8 Likes

This right here. Is this one of the marvels of engineering conundrums that keep it from being done like yesterday? Sounds like someone needs a swift boot in the backside.

Oh, oh it was COVID. I see. In between the Final 4 and the Hofstra game it was just relentless in the effort to have the engineering and construction firms do the dang thing.

Pez: "So what do you think about getting this done over the next few months?

CM: “COVID.”

Pez: “And the day after?”

CM: “COVID.”

Pez: “Ok. Well, you can’t say I didn’t try. Put it on the things to do next year list. Now, where’s the PO for the golf team’s customized tees?”

1 Like

i don’t know why we are entertaining Coog1. Attendance is not an issue.

6 Likes

Moving the cameras requires a spot to put them, obviously. This will most likely displace some valuable seats, which comes at a cost.

They’ll also have to do some work on the lights to make the pre-game and halftime shows work with the repositioned floor. This wouldn’t seem to be too expensive, but who knows?

It’s all feasible, but it’s not as simple as just setting up a tripod on the other side of the court and rolling with it.

1 Like

This is what the OP is bitching about.

8 Likes

Follow up post on attendance averages so far.

6,967 Houston
6,654 Virginia Tech
6,560 Colorado
6,558 Clemson
6,554 Utah State
6,501 Villanova (100% capacity)
6,484 Georgetown
6,480 Mississippi State
6,022 Georgia
6,022 Oklahoma
6,000 Gonzaga (100% capacity)
5,989 Washington
5,825 Ole Miss
5,551 Vanderbilt
5,296 Kansas State
5,280 UTEP
5,266 Utah
5,093 Notre Dame
5,091 TCU
4,989 Colorado State
4,860 Texas Aggy
4,760 UNLV
4,604 St. Louis
4,448 Oregon State
4,406 Temple
4,403 UCF
4,272 St. John’s
4,183 Boston College
4,035 Wake Forest
4,023 Western Kentucky

We don’t have an attendance issue.

15 Likes

Anybody complaining needs to turn on this Baylor game. Defending national champs with a lot of empty seats. Probably 40% full at best

7 Likes

From comments on this stream about “just move the cameras” . . . . . I take that some folks believe the cameras are either solar powered or wind powered. There is more to moving the cameras than picking out some spots and changing the floor around . . . . .

2 Likes

The camera “concern” just didn’t begin yesterday or last week. It has been at least a year that I’ve seen it mentioned. So the assertion that it’s us naive simpletons who think that it’s only a matter of moving and setting up a tripod is way off base.

3 Likes

Where are those “assertions?” :thinking:

There are obviously some logistical impediments, and I would bet that Sampson doesn’t really want to flip the court during the season. Maybe it’s no big deal to him, though. I’m sure he doesn’t care much how the crowd looks on TV.

They’ll get moved if it makes sense to do it; otherwise, this discussion will become the next blue stripe on the uniform, fat/skinny UH, palm trees, debate that never ends. :slightly_smiling_face:

The athletic administration has been aware of the TV issue and has been working toward moving them. As has been mentioned, it takes some tedious planning, but for now, it is planned to move them to the other side. It won’t be in the middle of the season, though.

I was told before the UVA game that Athletics is aware of my/CV3’s petition to move the cameras.

I can say now, they’re working on it and details are being ironed out.

Their main issues:

If the court flips, the players have to sit on the other side and students will be lost out on and have to move:

Counter point: Look at Duke. The players sit in the same spot on their bench. If they want to show the players going crazy, let the side cameras show it.

That is all I know. They’re worried about the season ticket holders losing out on sitting behind the players, which would move the students out of the way, completely killing the point of moving the cameras in the first place.

It’s hard to move the cameras there

No it isn’t. They did it both ways last season.

Can’t flip the court

Yes you can. They disassembled it for various events. Just put it back 180 degrees and keep the bench where it is.

5 Likes

"It’s hard to move the cameras there

No it isn’t. They did it both ways last season."

Uh oh. You’ve oneupped the Coogfans Engineering Department.

5 Likes

You’re correct. But it’s not because the schools are bad.

Example: Our friend is zoned to Oak Forest (one of the very best elementary schools in all of Houston) but he pays for his kid to go to Awty because he’s a social climber and wants to be able to flex.

Good grief. The players do not have to move to the other side. All you have to do is move the cameras for crissakes!

1 Like

Players could be moved as well.
Potentially could even add a few seats to the arena by taking out the camera well on that side. The other side already has a great place to add this without removing any seats.

But A&M has 60K students in College Station. Guess they only have time for one sport.

For anyone talking about the difficulty of a turned court or so.

Look at the difference of showing the student section over the club section. This is just a taste.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1462843322049781764

2 Likes

Hmm. Have yall ever thought that maybe Big Money Coogs don’t want to give up the cameras? “Hey, you can see me on TV…” or perhaps maybe coach and the Coogs are superstitious and don’t want to flip the court/cameras? Sadly, maybe our student body is ugly and we can’t show that ham on TV? Just sayin.

Lol :yum: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Big Money Coogs :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes