Attendance

As is $10 for a Coke in last year’s plastic cups. Won’t do that again.

2 Likes

I noticed from parking to tailgating to walking in the gate it was a late-arriving crowd. Not sure if thats just normal Houston stuff or if there was some apprehension about the weather.

Right about the time the sideline lowers started to fill in, it started to pour, sending everyone to the concourse and clubs. I had never seen so many people in the club. It looked like Buc-ces when we have a nearby roadgame. Glad I got my ice cream before they ran out.

We left midway through the 3rd qtr to pick up our kid from the g’parents house. But i was very impressed with how many people stayed through the delay and at that point through 28 unanswered points by kansas.

2 Likes

Have family in Lubbock, can confirm on both of those, especially the latter lol

1 Like

Holgi is running the 87th Total offense in the country and the 120th total defense in the country after 3 games while is players are fighting each other on the sidelines. People don’t want any part of his shitshow, and rightfullly so.

2 Likes

We had a little problem getting in the stadium, but it was quickly resolved. My download tickets came without a barcode or whatever it is that the readers read. It was handled quickly by gate personnel supervisor. We managed to get into our seats almost an hour prior to kickoff. I personally abhor so many people waiting until the last second to get to the gate and expect to not have to wait in a line. PLAN AHEAD . . . . .

I’ve never had a problem getting in, but then we enter early to see the team warm up.

4 Likes

Anytime there is a halfway decent crowd its a clusterfuck getting in the stadium the closer you get to kickoff. It was like that when Tech was here the last time too.

2 Likes

Hmmm…Let’s see.
Saturday morning left my house in Harlingen at 7:35AM.
Drove 335 miles to handicapped parking garage.
Hobbled to stadium.
Waited in line with other poor planners as ticket scanners struggled with modern era technology.
Got to seats shortly after kickoff.
Watched Coogs get spanked by a surprisingly good Kansas team.
Went to dinner at Capt Benny’s on South Main.
Drove 335 miles home.
Laid my head on my pillow feeling a bit weary at home turning lights off at 3:38 AM Sunday morning. At age 75 I just don’t have the stamina I did earlier in my life it seems.
Learned my lesson. Need to leave the house 15 minutes earlier next time. I should have planned ahead better. I didn’t count on that delay in a construction related traffic jam on IH37 outside of Corpus Christi dang it. Now if we still used paper tickets… never mind

23 Likes

They do need to get people in faster which can be fixed.

1 Like

UH fans have to be the most fickle fans there are, sure there is the hard core, but just not enough. Attendance has been talked about for years, if you were thinking of going to the home opener vs Kansas, and saw the overtime loss in Lubbock and said NOPE, not going, I would say you are not a UH fan, and probably not a college football fan. We have to grow the core and it starts when you are a freshman. Let them go down on the field, make a tunnel for the team, have a freshman chant, get them involved and they will feel apart of the University. Maybe give away a basketball student pass to automatically get you into BB games for attending a football game.

5 Likes

This whole thread is hilarious.

I complained about the ticket situation regarding the Birmingham Bowl back in December/January. Same issues with our ticket office. People told me to stop whining.

Now you guys see what I mean? Considering the lackadaisical attitude they took with my tickets to the bowl game in December, I am not surprised this happened.

1 Like

I feel your pain. We live in Wharton (you passed us going both ways) and left home about 11:30. Stopped @ Schlotzskys in Sugarland about noon. Headed to Palm Center about 1. Arrived about 1:15 and after walking about 1/2 way around the stadium (wanted to visit and meet the district rep for Cane’s), headed into the front gate. Found my downloaded tickets were blank. No QR code so we got sent to another gate. A supervisor came over and said it was obvious we had tickets so we were allowed to enter. By the time we set up our chair backs in second level, the teams were finished their stretching and warm ups. We fought the TDECU line, picked up water and killed time until the teams came out for second warm ups. (might have been just kickers). Saw the two guys parachute in the stadium, first hit the mid field symbol, second hit about the 35 to 40 yd line. Watched the band, enjoyed the pre-game . . . . . UH’s second scoring drive found me seated alone wearing my red pancho. (The straw hat I wore to protect me from the sun was of no benefit by this time). Only left my seat when we were asked to exit the stadium. Supped at Chic-fil-A on the way home. You must be a real “fan” to travel for just one game like you did. I did drive to Indianapolis 3 times, Tulsa, Kansas City for Basketball, but they were overnight trips. Even the Tech FB game we went to was an overnight trip. Thank you for being a great Coog.

1 Like

The band and cheerleaders should go to every college the week of a home game.

1 Like

Ahh Wharton…That’s where I normally stop for gas and a bathroom break at Buc-ees and often head over to Hinze’s for some good BBQ after. For years in the pre Buc-ees days we stopped at Hinze’s before it burned down out on Hwy59 on Houston trips.
I’ve decided to skip this week but will be headed up next Friday for Tulane. I’m guessing I’ll make a few more FB games and then comes Bball so even more trips this year.
GO COOGS!

4 Likes

The Oilers couldn’t fill the Astrodome. How do the Texans suck and fill NRG?

2 Likes

I wondered what happened to that place last time we drove through there

Wharton is were I went before UHV. I like their Los Cucos on the Colorado River.

1 Like

Good stuff but you were lucky to find a handicap parking place in garage. We got there at 230 and were lucky to find a spot.
The people who double parked should be ticketed

1 Like

They have taken over a small previously fast food building (I believe) and are on the old Hwy just North of downtown. Food is still fantastic. I eat there about once each week. They are waiting on the state of Texas to decide exactly where entrances and exits along I69 before the purchase some land and rebuild. Since they have moved into town, I have eaten there much more frequently,

At the end of the day guys we have to win. I love Houston. Was born here, so were my parents and their parents before them, but Houstonians, by and large are fickle fans. We will watch the games on television but unless you are winning, and doing so consistently, we will not show up. Look at the “Lastros” I’m sorry Astros. When we were at the bottom of the standings, Minute Maid was virtually empty. Multiple seasons to the National League Championship and multiple trips to the World Series and lord behold, they have a loyal fan base that shows up regardless of the who they are playing.

Guys, we are half way there. In the eyes of the passive Houston T Shirt sports fan, we have achieved relevance by joining the Big 12. Now we have to win, and do so on a consistent basis. Houstonians will not spend money on what they feel is an inferior product. Especially if they didn’t attend the University. They’ll just watch it on TV or read about it in the paper.

3 Likes