Attendance

Got it

I just sent an email to pez, renu and Tillman with a screenshot of your post

Will let you know soon as I hear back

2 Likes

Did you put “PEARLAND:” in the subject line? It may not go direct to Renu and Tilman without that.

5 Likes

You are correct. The bid for the team was a citywide effort by government, civic leaders and business officials. Ken Lay was a big proponent of getting NFL football back to Houston, as was Chuck Watson, the Reliant Energy and the Centerpoint Energy CEOs, Shell Oil, Duke Energy, HLSR and and others as well. This, along with the plan and funding for a stadium, is what pushed us over the LA bid.

Those CEOs pledged to the NFL then that they would make sure we had sellouts for 20 years, and they kept their word.

This is why we never had blackouts (of course this is no longer an issue, but it was then). Oilers were notorious for having issues with ticket sales, and the other cities used that against us. That is why those CEOs did that. The business community, rightly I think, felt that pro football was plus for the city to attract and retain talent and more importantly, corporate relocations.

Based on the city’s growth, it’s hard to argue with it.

2 Likes

Don’t think it matters, unless you are saying we should schedule better teams so that their fans show up.

Kansas is a big name with a lot of alumni. Stadium was not a sellout.

OTOH, when we were chugging along during the CTH era, we had 38K plus for Tulsa.

Why? Simple. It isn’t just that people want to see good teams play, they want to watch and support a team that has a chance to actually win and go some place. IOW, they want to support a winner.

As long as we look like we are happy being mediocre, then our fan support will be mediocre. Houston is not going to support any team that is basically tanking.

I mean look at the Rockets and Astros. One reason why Les Alexander never wanted to tank is because he wanted to maintain fan support. It worked. Rockets were always a top 10 team in attendance in the NBA. Now that the Rox are tanking, attendance is not so good.

Now this may change since we have some young promising rookies; maybe we become the new Warriors or Celtics. Who knows; unfortunately Houston is the kind of What have you done for me lately place. It does not pay for potential.

Astros tanked for 5 seasons to rebuild. Result-bottom dweller in attendance until we started winning. Now we kill it.

It is what it is.

We deserve to be kicked out of the AAC, much less the big 12, with the amount of people in the seats right now.

2 Likes

If we deserve to be kicked out of the AAC, then half the league does. Not like Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, and USF are doing better.

2 Likes

Time start sux. Its super hot. Its kinda of their way to silent protest the way the program is heading with the current coaching regime.

1 Like

It’s blazing. No doubt about it.

You can’t be upset with attendance when your team isn’t good.

2 Likes

This !

I argue that houston would have continued to grow even without an nfl team. Los Angeles did.

In fact, whenever business clients would come into town we would house them at our residence and not rent a car, specifically to spite that onerous hotel and restaurant tax.

Its Houston, Texas. Taylor Swift isn’t here and Bad Bunny is back on the road. This is max attendance.

Astros attendance isn’t all that great considering how awesome they are and have been. We lag way behind the obvious big boys in Yankees and Dodgers but also Atlanta and St Louis.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty easy to find good seats for practically any midweek game, unless there’s an awesome giveaway. Attendance isn’t great.

1 Like

I read that as “Brad bunny” :joy::joy: I was like that such a hilarious name. Dyslexia is hilarious

Attendance was ok today generally.

LA has two hockey teams, two basketball teams, two baseball teams, and Hollywood, not to mention the best beaches in America.

Houston has, ummm, let me think about that a minute…

Houston has the most theater seats outside of NYC, even more than LA.

Nah.

Houston has “the most concentrated theatre seats outside of Broadway” because almost all of our venues are downtown on adjacent blocks.

It’s a Chamber of Commerce “fact” that is meaningless. LA dwarfs Houston in performance venues.

1 Like

You beat me to it.