Ban 'em . .

[quote=“rtcoog, post:30, topic:26074, full:true”]

Pretty sure he’s still around. I think the latest handle is “Coogs4U.”

1 Like

My grandson plays LL baseball and it has been fun watching him, but I really feel sorry for some of the kids that have to put up with fathers that chew them out if they make a mistake. I have seen coaches be especially hard on their own sons that I’m sure the kids dread going on the field. These dads may have played in high school, but not beyond; however they expect their sons to be a combination of Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, and Carlos Correa.

On the other hand, some coaches are very encouraging and positive, even if their team is made up of players that can’t throw, hit, or catch a ball. Let’s face it, some kids just aren’t athletic at all and all one can ask is for them to do their best. I have a lot of respect for these coaches and the patience they show. I also have a lot of respect for the LL umps, they take a lot of unwarranted guff.

3 Likes

Urban? Urban Meyer? Come on down!

On @Twinmom’s comment. Can confirm that players read these boards. Their response? “Lmao they don’t know what they are talking about most of the time”.

There’s a huge difference between criticism and insults. I’ll criticize players any day as I got criticized for the way I ran the org, what we did, etc. But that’s just for temporary stuff, general comments. Insults are crossing a line, and it’s horrible to see stuff like that said about players. Will never forget the CoogFans BOOING the Coogs off the field during the 2018 Temple game. Like come on!

Now I’m on Phase 2 of this org doing Alumni stuff while leaving it to students to run the student org portion (I am trying to find a way to gather alumni into discussion so we can take it on, as this spirit project has always been open to everyone). With that, there is still criticism. And years and years from now, there might be criticism for the students running the student org side while the alums are working on our side.

So very true. Derek’s twin was a LL ump for a season during his freshman year of college. Because he was a new he was only allowed to ump for t ball and coach pitch. A coach got angry at him for telling a little t baller to turn and run toward first and not third. It was the coach for the opposing team. He said he would have done the same thing for his team, the little guy was just 5. He would get threatened and everything. Good grief it’s t -ball!

3 Likes

I literally coached both my kids’ (son and daughter) sports teams, all year long, no matter what they were playing, until they got to HS, when thankfully, the pros took over.
I would come home from work, coach their teams, then go back downtown to the office for a couple of hours to finish what I was working on…
I wouldn’t have traded one minute, greatest thing I ever did. Just loved it.

2 Likes

I have never and will never boo the Coogs. I have never and will never boo the other teams. I have booed calls by the refs on occasion.

6 Likes

I recall you commenting about people doing that that game, it was crazy.

The refs can always get booed. Players on both teams are representing their University.

1 Like

Physical and medical problems prevent me from attending games. But i made most home games for over 50 years. I never booed the Cougars.
I had box seats in the gold section of the Dome and we had this guy who was always yelling “Do something Yeoman” when things weren’t going well. Looking back that was kind of funny but it wasn’t booing.

3 Likes

That sounds like someone I know.

Jim, I know you would be at the games if possible. As we grow older we all will face a time that the body just has too many limitations to do the things we love.

1 Like

Don’t forget Sumlin. Sumlin deserved every boo he received.

1 Like

I remember that so well…and I also remember a frustrated Case waving him and the punt team off the field…but I do think the majority of those boos were aimed at traitor Sumlin…and no, I have never booed a Cougar or a visiting team…although it was tempting every time we played the Aggies or whorns lol

1 Like

Okay…I have boooed refs. Lots of times. More so when we were in C-USA. Right after they all got out of that little bitty VW bug. With their clown suits on…

1 Like

1 Like

Nailed it Derrick !!!:+1::smiley:

1 Like

In running this board, the moderators/owners have been accused of anything and everything. We either are too strict, or are not strict enough. We shouldn’t ban anyone (censorship argument) or we don’t do enough banning. We are either on a power trip or we are not paying enough attention. We are either sunshine pumpers or we hate the Coogs and so on… it can be no win.

Then there are the select few who want to cause trouble - either by being pedantic, or they think Coogfans is a court of law where everything is to be argued. Or there are those who use VPNs to skirt IP bans. We have a couple of folks who have badgered us for literally over a decade. All of which we find to be just bizarre. Then there are the “1st amendment folks” who think that gives them the right to say and do anything they want – on a privately owned, membership based online board. And then there are the folks who are obnoxious and hassle people but don’t quite blatantly break any rule. That’s still a form of behavior we don’t want here.

We have had a long standing tradition of not allowing players to be attacked. You can criticize their play, but even then it shouldn’t be vicious. But you cannot attack a player personally. For some reason this is hard for some folks to understand.

It’s not hard to be on Coogfans:

1. Don’t be a jerk
  2. Don’t be profane
  3. Don’t insult players or each other
  4. Don’t be political
  5. Remember this is supposed to be a friendly place and a community

The overwhelming majority of our members are simply great, and make this a well respected and well know community, for that we are grateful.

So a couple of things to help keep this place a good community:

1. Keep flagging! Flags are really the only way we can know what’s going on as we can’t read every post. Sometimes it might take us a few hours, but we will get to them.

2. If you simply have someone you don’t want to interact with, we have an IGNORE feature… and here is how you do it: Ignore user feature finally here!

Lastly we have accused of using the ban hammer too much. When in truth bans are rare. It’s less than .005 percent of our membership… and under thirty folks in 5 years (several being the same person under several names).

4 Likes

Twinmom… if someone is continuously belittiling you, please flag the person/post. We don’t want folks on here who make a habit of hassling anyone.

5 Likes

The belittler, UH2020, is already gone it appears.

6 Likes

I love Mama! You are a breath of fresh air, keep it up!

7 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes