Basis for disdain for Taylor Swift is?

I don’t get it. Can someone explain it to me?

She’s been relatively in the public eye for over a decade now. However, she has recently seen a massive boost in popularity and now exists in the general day-to-day paradigm of society whether we asked for it or not.

Her brand is being pushed down every avenue of culture (including sports), and frankly, I think everyone is just getting fatigued from it.

Due to how much she has captured the fandom of “normies”, both her team as well as entities such as the NFL are essentially both benefiting from her getting as much screen time as possible on Sundays. It’s a mutually beneficial relationship financially

2 Likes

Beyoncé? Dallas Cowboys? Barbie? Immigrants? Mega churches? Israel? Musk? Ukraine? Biden? Trump? Hollywood? Kanye West? Jon Stewart? Aaron Rogers? Lebron James?

What makes Taylor Swift so different? All the above are just “doing their thing” too and get a lot more attention than Taylor Swift and a lot less angst.

I’m pretty indifferent to her, although I’m impressed by her business acumen.

5 Likes

Not sure what you mean using these examples. None of those topics are being mentioned on a regular Sunday NFL game.

Taylor Swift is as Human Resources-friendly as you can get. She’s refrained from being in the politics-sphere, has a nearly squeaky clean image, and appeals to the most normal of people. She has fans of all ages especially for women.

Beyoncé is popular yes, but she’s not really relevant in the day-to-day right now unless she releases a new album or something.

Barbie had its run, but it didn’t really overtake Taylor Swift in terms of overall cultural significance plus it’s merely a movie using a brand that has existed for decades.

All those other topics are too political in nature. Aaron Rodgers hardly gets much mention because of his stance against the COVID stuff. His talent is what saves his significance.

Taylor Swift has infiltrated day to day life where regardless of where you are on the socioeconomic scale or political interests lay, you will hear about her because she’s being advertised like crazy lol

1 Like

Let’s not go there.

Copied -
While this might sound like (just) a fandom post for Taylor Swift, it’s not.

It’s a remark about how social media sways public opinion and how the patriarchy is still alive and well in American society today.

If you’re not listening to Taylor, you cannot objectively claim a lack of talent. You cannot objectively claim she’s overrated. And you definitely cannot claim to not like her “genre” (unless you listen solely to like death metal or trap).

Taylor has recorded 10 studio albums in 17 years! She has fluidly moved between country, pop, rock, synth, hip hop, folk, alternative, and indie genres.

She has written or co-written 243 songs, some in collaboration with or even for such names like: Little Big Town, Miley ray Cyrus, Sugarland, The Civil Wars, & Andrew Lloyd Webber.

In her 200 million records sold, Taylor has won 324 awards, including 12 Grammys, 23 MTV Video Music Awards, 40 American Music Awards, 40 Billboard Music Awards, 12 Country Music Awards, and an Emmy.

She is the most-awarded artist of all times at the AMAs and BMAs, and she ties with Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, & Paul Simon for most Album of the Year Grammys.

Swift was “the most streamed artist of 2023 on Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music; the first act to place number one on the year-end Billboard top artists list in three different decades (2009, 2015 and 2023); and the first living artist to simultaneously chart five albums in the top 10 of the Billboard 200.”

Rolling Stone described Taylor as “a songwriting savant with an intuitive gift for verse-chorus-bridge architecture,” and scholars and critics have compared her to literary figures such as Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and John Keats, as well as to modern songwriters such as Bob Dylan & Paul McCartney.

Over 20 universities include a Taylor Swift course in their catalog, including Harvard, Mizzou, Berkeley, Stanford, and Brigham Young.

Taylor has acted in 5 movies, headlined 6 tours, & can play guitar & piano. She has developed, written, & directed several of her own music videos.

She has influenced the music business by revitalizing vinyl records, championing artists’ rights on streaming services, and changing the way label contracts are written. Her journey to take back her intellectual property by re-recording her first six albums is one of the best business and personal decisions any artist has made regarding rights.

She’s not just a talented performer and savvy businesswoman. She is also very human and fights for things she believes in. Taylor speaks up for the rights of women, LGBTQ, and artists.

She has donated millions to charitable relief and philanthropic efforts, as well as to the arts. She generously gave millions of her revenue in bonuses to her Eras Tour team.

She was sexually assaulted by a DJ in Colorado & reported it. The DJ was terminated & sued Taylor for $3 million in damages, so she counter-sued for a symbolic $1 & spent over 2 years in a legal battle that ended in a jury deciding in her favor. Since then, Taylor has been even more active in fighting for the rights for women to be heard.

She genuinely enjoys her fans and has fun leaving clues and hints in her music to keep her fans engaged and like they’re part of the story. She always seems sincerely delighted to be doing what she’s doing.

Her 17 years in the industry have proven her talent. It shows that she’s earned every fan she has and dollar she’s made. (And if you think she’s only country-pop, then you need to spend a day with Folklore or Evermore.)

If you have a negative reaction towards her as a person, it’s because our society still goes after successful women in a way that men avoid. The media turns on celebrities - especially women - who dare to do things like countersue a sexual assault case, speak against corrupt politicians, or not laugh at misogyny.

I will never apologize for being enchanted by this one. She is a poet, and she’s possibly the most self-aware artist I’ve ever heard speak. 🫶🏻

(ETA: I did not pay for this post. I did not anticipate the shares. And I wasn’t out to seek attention. Why strangers feel the need to message me rude things because I posted on my personal page is beyond me. This is why we can’t have nice things.)

Author: Megan K Hall

I have never listened to a Taylor Swift song, but obviously a whole lot of people love her. I think she is very pretty young lady and more power to her.

Who cares one way or another what people think.

1 Like

I don’t see a lot of distain. Jealousy? yes, Distain? no

1 Like

People weren’t annoyed with her until the media started showing her at the Chiefs games.

Flagged? Inappropriate? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I mean, DAMN! :man_facepalming:

“[Kylie] was already telling me to be on my best behavior because we were meeting Taylor,” he said while Travis Kelce laughed. “So she’s like, ‘Do not…be on your best behavior.’ I was like, 'Kylie the first day I met you I was blacked out drunk and fell asleep in the bar. This is part of the charm. This is part of the Jason Kelce charm. I wanna make my best first impression, this is my best chance! Set the bar nice and low.”

Love me some Jason Kelce, He actually lifted an 8 year old girl out of the stands to meet Taylor

3 Likes

I think her music sounds like a hippo giving birth. Common and superficial. Other than that I love her.

1 Like

Have yet to listen to a Taylor Swift song.

1 Like

She started getting political

3 Likes

I am a fan of her music generally. Some of her lyrics seem like trying too hard to be poetic / philosophical, but I like the music. I may have more exposure than many here, having a daughter in early 20’s.

Gettin pretty sick of Travis, but that was the case before Taylor

1 Like

My dislike for her stems from the fact that I’m a 47 year-old man that makes an idiot of himself singing along to her songs because they’re too damn catchy. I didn’t need help looking like a jack-ass, Taylor!

Also, she’s a hell of a lot more appealing to see on tv every 3 minutes than Jerry Jones, so, Chiefs>Cowboys

8 Likes

She has some decent songs even despite her appeal to normies with generic mainstream taste but yeah most of her work is just safe pop music with no edge

Taylor isn’t really sexualized like Madonna or Britney Spears were so she is able to appeal to such a wide range of women/girls of all ages

She’s very smart in how she (or her team) manages her career along with her perfectly clean image

The wife and I have never heard even one Taylor Swift song.

It also is true that our parents never heard one Beatles song.

Our Granddaughters have heard her songs, been to her concerts.

I went to a Beach Boys concert. The grandchildren have never heard one of their songs.

Life is kinda like that.

1 Like