Bear Fenimore departing the school

What player who had his career derailed by off-field issues do you feel for the most and why?

• I don’t keep up or comment on players off the field issues, each player has their own reasons for doing things and make their own choices and I don’t feel that it’s appropriate to comment on what off-field issues they may or may not have.

Best answer ever.

6 Likes

That is a very accomplished young man.

2 Likes

He will always be a Coog and I hope he succeeds.

3 Likes

Yes, he is an alumnus of UH and will always be appreciated for coming here when he could have chosen elsewhere. I wish him all the best.

4 Likes

So Simms does essentially the same thing and he’s persona non grata. Fenimore is a great young man.

Delineation: We fans thought we needed Simms…not so much Fenimore.

Bear wasn’t a starter. Simms was.

1 Like

Exactly my point.

Simms was the featured player on our ad campaign was was going to be the face on the game programs and posters then he decided to leave for West Virginia.

As I recall Simms graduated. Both players opted to do what was best for them. Ironic how our desire to win manifests our opinion of each one as a person.

I support and respect both former Coogs, but the situations are vastly different.

Sims left because he didn’t think UH was big time enough to get him to the next level.

Fenimore left because he wasn’t going to see any playing time and wanted to sling it one last time (at a lower level) before his playing days were done.

3 Likes

Guys it’s Charles Sims not Simms.

I’ve never had a problem with Sims leaving. He graduated and had every right to move on if he didn’t feel comfortable in our scheme and wanted to try to do something else. Dude got beat up the year before playing for a 5-7 team for coaches that he didn’t sign with. He’s still a Coog because he got his degree from here and it’s his right, just like it is for any degree-holder from UH, to go and do the best for himself.

As far as the marketing and ad campaigns, that’s on the UH admin for that one. Probably a good idea to confirm with the player that he will be part of the team rather than just setting it all up prior to that. Now…maybe he wasn’t a straight shooter, but it also might also be a good idea not to focus your ads on just one player at the college level (Looking at you, Arizona).

1 Like

That may be your perception. I didn’t criticize Sims for his decision but, if you are not going to consider the timing of his decision and the fact that he was not buried on the bench during his time here, then the discussion is pointless.

2 Likes

UH didn’t yank Sims’ scholarship out from under him the year he was out with an injury. With that year out it gave home the benefit of a full year of free schooling without which he wouldn’t have graduated in advance so as to qualify for transferring as a graduate student. Am I missing something here? School loyal to Sims, Sims loyal only to the point that it no longer served “his” purposes.

2 Likes