Been watching the B12 tourney

We gonna get kil’t!

The difference between pitching in the B12 and the AAC is like American Legion and Little League.

You give up a five run inning and you’re toast. Those staffs bring the smoke and mirrors.

3 Likes

Yep we are nowhere near ready for Big boy(12) baseball it will be embarrassing unless something changes quickly

3 Likes

PLEASE make a change Pez!!!

3 Likes

Yep. We need to make a change after this season in order to start developing in a new direction - otherwise we are just delaying any chance we have to be even mildly competitive in the Big 12.

Houston Baseball is going to get ABSOLUTELY EMBARRASSED in the Big 12.

5 Likes

When I was watching from afar I used to think how fortunate we were to have Coog baseball because it was probably the only sport in which we might ever hope for a NC. Funny how things tend to reverse themselves. But hope springs eternal. I shall grip my furniture in both hands and scream for these lads until the final out of the season.

5 Likes

These threads are kinda ridiculous to be honest. There is no way anyone on this board or otherwise has any indication of our level of performance in a completely different conference. We act like that conference is full of CWS teams. Texas and Tech are very good. Texas is leaving. Oklahoma State is also good, but didn’t get a regional last year. We’ll be fine. You guys probably wanted Bryson Smith instead of Clayton Tune lol.

You don’t think any of us can predict or at least make an educated guess on how well we would compete in the Big 12?
So we are the 3rd ranked team in the SEVENTH ranked conference which will only get ONE bid ( unless somebody beats ECU, then it’s two) in the tournament.
The Big 12 is the THIRD ranked conference and will have SIX teams in the tournament…(.and this is with Baylor having a down year)

I think anyone that knows just a little bit of baseball can suggest Houston would be 8th at best in that conference this year….

So no, we won’t be fine.

4 Likes

All I can say about the B12 is from watching. They just pitch better.
(Now, everyone on this board is more knowledgeable than me on college ball so I have no feel for the cause. I go by what the gurus here tell me.)

I might have seen one instance of a both sides scoring 3+ runs in the same stanza. That tells me the kids are either being managed better or there’s very little drop-off from one kid to the next. Either way the quality per pitch is quantitatively better. Could we win two out of three against any of those teams? Of course. But we’re just as likely, IMO, of losing seven or eight in a row against that schedule. I’ve seen way too many games against Tulane and Cincy and others where a four run lead isn’t enough from one inning to the next.

1 Like

You can also compare the RPI’s of the teams. The big12 isn’t a good example this year, but a team’s RPI rank compared to the other teams in its conference is usually close to its place in the conference standings. I’d guesstimate our RPI right now would put us between 7th-9th place in the big12. With our RPI, we’d still be in the same boat of having to win the tourney to get to a regional. The AAC is a much more winnable tourney for us with only 1 Q1 team compared to 6 in the big12. Of course, if we were playing those teams, we’d have a worse record, but probably a slightly higher RPI.

1 Like

I’m not good at statistics and rendering usable data. Just guessing, what is the mean rpi of the AAC vs. B12? (Not asking anyone to do the Math - just off the top of your head)

My view is we struggle against a sample of lower rpi teams. It just seems to make sense that teams that struggle vs low rpi will struggle at a higher percentage against higher rpi teams. And history indicates that when we enter the B12 our, say three year average rpi, will be decidedly lower than that of the rest of the conference sans a couple of teams+a newbie or two. We need to be on an upward trajectory going in. But that’s too late if the projected start in-conference holds up.

We still got a chance to win the AAC tourney. I think it would pay big dividends psychologically for our chunkers if we could. Crossing fingers.

Wow, are you in for a rude awakening should Whitting be leading us into the new conference. smh

4 Likes

I’m a bit spoiled. I don’t want to do two years in the B12 cellar then have to do a three-year re-build. I don’t expect to win the B12 the first year but I want our kids to be competitive. At least vs. 4-11.

4 Likes

I think the easiest way to gauge us is to look at baylor. We’re close in the RPI’s, our Q1 winning % is .200 (1-4), theirs is .214 (6-22), in back-to-back weekends we both were 2-1 vs Columbia. They’re 7-17 in conference play, 9 games out of 1st place. Safe to say, that’s about where we’d be if we were in the big12 right now.

4 Likes