Benton withdraws from the portal and will return to UH

Its highly likely he will be starting next year as a Redshirt Freshman.

30 Likes

boom.

9 Likes

Maybe I’m crazy but I like our DL talent better not counting Caesar

9 Likes

Change of heart?

Seems like the players connection to Early is strong

8 Likes

Hopefully Caldwell does the same

14 Likes

Awesome! This kid has so much upside.

2 Likes

This truly a huge BOOM !
Go Coogs !

I don’t think we have a single proven edge pass rusher on the roster. Nelson Caesar was the only guy that really got after the quarterback and he is gone to the NFL. Hopefully the new defensive scheme frees up some pass rushers for us next year because we don’t have the secondary to cover guys for more than a few seconds

5 Likes

Yeah no established edge rusher but Ceasar had just 4 sacks the year prior. Imo, he wasn’t quite proven but took a big step forward this year. With Cooper and hopefully Caldwell we have potential to get production by committee among the DL. Holmes Jr flashed some too. Iirc, coaches were high on Brandon Mack but he got hurt vs UTSA.

Brandon Mack will be a monster this coming year. I am extremely high on our DL this year. I think we will be deep and have multiple contributors.

12 Likes

I’m hoping Strong and Tucker step up on the edge . We have a few younger guys that might fill the bill. It’s hard to know who it will be when they only got limited playing time last year. I agree with Mack being back a.ong with who we have returning and the transfer and juco pick ups we will be good. Benton is gonna be a beast in my opinion and the belief Caldwell will be back only makes it that much better .I can see Stillman, Cooper and Rogers all helping Holmes, Benton, Hakeem and Robbins in the middle

2 Likes

Cooper will play end, won’t he? He started at DE for Tulane and had 5 sacks. My guess is Cooper and Strong or Mack start. You then have Tucker, Lawrence, and Beadles in reserve. So a solid three-deep.

7 Likes

Merry Christmas!

1 Like

So if Benton was a new recruit, and not a returning player, would he be a 3 star or 4 star player?

2 Likes

High 3 star but I think he had SEC offers including Georgia in high school

2 Likes

And assuming Caldwell returns (maybe I shouldn’t; we’ll see), the interior DL should be even better. Caldwell, Holmes, the two-year starter from Tulsa, Rogers, the juco, Stillman, Benton, Robbins, Ajijolaiya. And we may still add Aggy’s 2nd team NT this year.

1 Like

Dude, nobody cares.

1 Like

Then why respond at all if, as you say, nobody cares?

1 Like

I’m sorry if it went over your head….thought the Grinch was a givaway ……that and the fact that I put a like on your post….

4 Likes