Big 12 Media Deal

Does anyone know if the Big 12 media deal included a provision/clause for an adjustment/increase IF the Big 12 managed to add designated “Tier A schools” from the other Power Conferences?

I remember the AAC had a reverse clause, if the designated “Tier A schools” which included UH left, it triggered a clause for a reduced media deal.

1 Like

I know the deal has some kind of renegotiation clause if expansion occurs, but I’m not entirely sure of the details

This is a pipe dream but IMAGINE IF the media partners want to distribute the blue bloods and ther was a clause and the Big 12 was able to add, say FSU + Clemson to get to 18 to match the B1G.

The SEC adds UNC & Virginia and you have 3 x 18 P3 Conferences.

Or possibly even 3 x 20 if the other ACC/ND pieces are distributed.

The media partners will ultimately save money by refusing to extend the ACC on Feb 1 2025.

3 Likes

I don’t think FSU honestly cares where they end up as long as they make close to what SEC schools make…

Unfortunately, I don’t see the day where ESPN (and FOX) would both agree to compensate the Big 12 anywhere near the SEC/B1G, and I don’t think the Big 12 would agree to unequal revenue distribution just to appease FSU.

I think ESPN would much rather the ACC fall apart, FSU/Clemson/UNC go to the SEC, and the remaining members get sent to the Big 12 for about the same price as the current Big 12 payouts.

This would cut off more fat especially if schools like Syracuse or Boston College end up having to go be a G5 somewhere

The other problem is that while the Big 12 might have easier competition, there are less spots for the CFP. You can be a upper-middle tier team in the SEC without needing to even make the conference championship and still end up in the CFP. Same with B1G

This is the first question I had when our new espn/fox contract was ratified.
What is the best case scenario for the BIG 12 and the rest of college football?
Clemson, FSU, Miami, GT, VT, NC or Duke join the BIG 12 with Cal or Stanford. That would put the BIG 12 very close to the big 10/sec or at least in a much stronger position to get a p3 media contract acceptable to everyone.
Clemson and FSU became National Champion in what was arguably less competitive that the sec. Playing in this new BIG 12 would follow the same idea. Why play in the big 10 or sec and get “battered” every week with little chance to qualify for the cfp?
What we have all to keep in mind is that the cfp operates behind close doors. That is the “elephant” in the room. Do you play games knowing you are going to lose?

Given the direction FSU is going, I think they would be quite competitive in the SEC. As I mentioned above, yes the Big 12 has easier competition but they also have less auto bids for the CFP.

Even if FSU doesn’t make the SEC championship game; they can still make it to the CFP. You probably can’t say the same for the Big 12.

1 Like

This is from 2022, but Big XII has a Pro Rata clause so +1 = +1 in money

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/1586733515625963521

Important note to add, per sources: The Big 12’s new deal will have a pro rata clause in the event of future expansion.

Why this might be possible is there is no “fat” in the current B12. There’s no Vandy, no BC, no Wake Forest.

The original Big 12 deal had a pro rata clause for P5 additions from ESPN. Not from Fox. Later it was disclosed that the pro rata ESPN clause was limited to 4 additions.

Then we added 4 schools from the Pac 12.

So I don’t think there is any pro rata room left. That said, I can’t imagine not getting extra TV money if we added a Louisville, for example. It would just have to be negotiated.

If the ACC collapse, that’s over $500M per year off ESPN’s book, so I think from that amount, they could pay some teams to be added to the Big 12.

Remember as long as both sides agree to any changes, they can do anything they want to do.

ESPN would really save money if the ACC collapse.

2 Likes

The question is if we somehow land a Big Fish, would that increase our media deal.

Obviously landing a smaller fish, like a Louisville or PITT, would not

I’m thinking the big fish are now swimming in the SEC and Big. It will be interesting to see what Notre Dame does, but they won’t be coming to the Big 12

1 Like

I agree…but IF…big IF, we landed Notre Dame + Florida State + Clemson + North Carolina, we would CLEARLY be equal to the other P2s with those additions.

I know…Pipe Dream

2 Likes

That’s only for the ESPN part of the media deal which is for $20M. The Fox part doesn’t have this. However if the right schools are added I’m sure Fox would agree as well. Or the Big 12 could market the added school rights to another network to take over for Fox.

1 Like

From what I recall, FOX did agree via gentlemen’s agree that they would support additions, but yes it was not physically written in the contract

@UH1927

Notre Dame is going to fight as long as possible to remain independent

They will partner with anyone for scheduling purposes as long as it benefits them (remain independent) and the CFP continues to give them a path to the CFP

If the CFP no longer accepts Notre Dame, then they will be forced to join a conference. The question is how long is Notre Dame going to have this much power over the P2 Conferences

Did you see the playoff amount…they are getting paid WAY LESS than P2s to stay Independent…I think they are getting what Big 12 members will get.

Notre Dame is willing to compromise as long as they get to remain independent with a path to the CFP

Their donor base is similar to Ivy Leagues, so they don’t really need to depend on media payouts compared to public SEC schools

1 Like

they don’t need to but it becomes an EGO thing.

The committee valued Notre Dame EQUAL to the University of Houston or any other Big 12 school