Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

Like I said in an earlier post, all this guy does is post every single scenario and if one of them ends up true, he pins the tweet.

He’s not reliable or credible. He wasn’t the only person that predicted USC/UCLA going to the B1G

1 Like

Here Is What The PAC 12 Has To Do To Save The Conference From Extinction! - YouTube

Bro you just cross thread streams. Impressive and dangerous.

dont-cross-the-streams-egon

2 Likes

The $24.2 is all conference income.

The $24.5 is TV only.

Hate to say it, but I think Mandel is not the wrong one here.

I don’t think those guys really know what they’re talking about but they’re entertaining and they love us so I hope they get a million listeners

1 Like

Pretty much my take too. Just something fun to listen to.

Funny you mentioned that. I thought the same thing, but apparently they have really upped their game in the last few years.

My son is looking at the schools in the area, and he said as of now, UF is basically Harvard and UGA is like Cornell. Clemson has now become the school that GA kids who cannot get into Ga Tech (because it is now equivalent to MIT) go. So its numbers have increased. Same with FSU. You pretty much need a 3.9 GPA and a 1400 SAT to get in, unless you are a legacy or have some sort of “special skill” (i.e., athlete or music).

Plain old smart GA kids who take challenging coursework are SOL. At least FL kids still have good options in USF, UCF and FAMU. I guess GA kids can go to Bama, Auburn, Tennessee or the Mississippi schools, but who wants to go there? LSU is an option as well, but then you have to live in Baton Rouge.

Before anyone asks, yes he is considering UH. He is also looking at BIG schools, which, ironically, are easier to get into than many of the SEC schools now.

Is this a daily show…weekly?

Do you have a link to their live stream?

1 Like

The national show is on weekdays.
The live stream appears in real time. 3pm ctl
All the segments are made individual videos.

The father- David Smoak aka Smoaky was a main TV/Radio guy for at least 20 years in East Texas. Longview/Tyler/Lufkin and then Dallas. Worked at ESPN Dallas for awhile.
Is in the Pro Football Writers Association and the College Football Writers Association of America.

The son must be the Baylor connection. Smoaky went to Stephen F Austin.

2 Likes

I know they are ‘Baylor’ but they are refreshing to listen to. Seems like they talk more about the Big 12 and UH, or things that affect UH, than our local sports stations.

3 Likes

They have smartly switched to a regional/national show.
Its come around with the Texas/OU move and their numbers have to be up 1000% +.

7 Likes

Smoaky is great. He’s had great things to say about UH and even admitted on the show that he always liked UH through the years and was happy to see their inclusion in the Big12.

I’m about to catch the show right now.

Great program.

1 Like

With Illinois (I have a MS from that school), it depends which undergrad college you apply to.

If you want to study Engineering or Computer Science there, you need almost Ivy League/MIT level high school/SAT credentials.

But you can get into the Social Work or Applied Health Sciences schools much more easily.

2 Likes

me too, I’m going to start listening to them at 3 instead of 790AM

B10 commissioner Warren went scorched earth today.

“A year after touting an Alliance with the ACC and Pac-12, Warren made it clear there are no allies in this world. The B1G is doing its own thing with little regard to how it affects the rest of the collegiate landscape.
Greed, in Warren’s eyes, is clearly good.”

The Pac-12 is … Sears?

“This move was about sensing the Pac-12’s weakness and exploiting it. Warren revealed a nugget that suggests he played Kliavkoff like a fiddle in their supposed partnership.”
(more in article)

The PAC 12 is,indeed, Sears. And who would have thought that a mere 5 years ago?

Because of the decline of USC the conference was not Nationally competitive.

I recently watched a live Astros game on Prime Video. It struck me how easily College Football could adapt to that. Would be a competitor to ESPN+.

Methinks new, and more lucrative, Media deals are close at hand.

The Big 12 is in 3 time zones and could make it 4 by adding Arizona schools. In Sept. and Oct. Arizona is in same time zone as The West Coast.

2 Likes

Unless the “$24.5M” means an average of $245M per year over a 10 year backloaded contract where Year 1 is more like $120M or $12M per school.

Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin are probably the hardest public BIG schools to get into now, with Minnesota and Maryland close behind. However, its relatively easy to get into Iowa, MSU, Nebraska, PSU and OSU, at least as compared to some of the better SEC and ACC public schools. I did not include NWU as it is a private school on par with Chicago, Stanford and Duke, so it is expected to be hard to gain admittance.

But you are right that it depends on the major. For example, getting into the UH Cullen College of Engineering is not easy, same for Bauer. However, one benefit of UH is that you can (or could) punt on choosing a major when you apply for admission, and then transfer in to the college of your choice later. The negative of course is that you have to be accepted into the program/college. It used to be automatic when I was an undergrad, but I don’t know about now.

1 Like

UH College of Architecture had an 8% acceptance rate when I sat in on a meeting one year discussing admissions.

They only accepted 100 out of 1,200 applications.

1 Like