Big 12 / Pac 12 / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 1)

Dont think Oregon and Washington, Tom…Think Arizona and Ariz. State…They have already lost their PAC recruiting base, which was Los Angeles. We offer more money, more expansive and better TV deals and coverage, better BB…No reason for these 2 southwestern PAC schools not to join Big 12…EVERYTHING is better…

4 Likes

I can’t imagine that there will be much demand to see those PAC teams in Dallas.

In my own lifetime, I’ve seen UH draw 20K or less for Oregon, Washington, and USC at home.

It may be worse for SMOO.

1 Like

Well said, but there needs to be a secondary trigger that motivates them to move. A 5-6 million per school delta will not drive them to the big12 in my opinion.

The BIG is seemingly done with expansion in this cycle. The pac12 has a slot in the next iteration of the college football. These factors allow them to stay put.

I’ve always thought you could pull two teams from the Pac and OreWash would come hat in hand.

2 Likes

Ive always said that there are few school who could join any P5 conference if they wanted to. Notre Dame, Harvard and Yale are those schools.

Your honor, I present Googles searches as my evidence. I rest my case. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

3 Likes

SMU to the PAC is a pyrrhic victory for both parties. SMU could field a good team and make the NY6 every year as the best g5. But the allure of better money is going to doom it perpetual mediocrity and horrible road trips. The PAC gets a huge TV market but jams a drumstick in its own spokes as far as brand goes. People in California are going to look at SMU like a bunch of tourists. You want to see Cal or Stanford’s attendance suck even more? Play SMU.

SMU fans can’t stay in their seats three full quarters at home. I’ll bet they don’t take 50 fans to any PAC road game.

1 Like

5-6 million won’t. Most of their games on Amazon won’t The two together… could.

We’ve heard the $25m figure twice. The first time was during the negotiating window. That offer may not be on the table anymore. That’s a risk you take when you go to market. The second was last week. The sourcing on that was less reliable, IMO, but if that’s accurate it’s a different ballgame. Streaming was supposed to be okay because it would bring in money. It has to bring in money.

If ESPN is still offering $25m and there’s ESPN visibility (albeit through midnight kickoffs and weeknight games), I think they’ll be okay as long as reports of ASU’s newfound anger are not inaccurate.

I present what’s being reported everywhere Bro.

Sorry if it was against you.

That’s the breaks!

Sometimes you’re wrong and I’m right!

NEXT!!!

3 Likes

It’s hard times when the sunshine you’re pumping is showing up on CBSSN.

5 Likes

Slide those PAC games between Nevada v Air Force and Fresno v Hawaii games.

2 Likes

Possibly few games on CBS proper, rest on cbssn and espn+

probably walking away from Amazon

1 Like

Can’t remember if I said this before, but if I were them I would be pushing CBS pretty hard on the idea "For every game you put on CBS proper we will put a game on Paramount+ and/or CBSSN. But for whatever reason (probably shallow pockets) CBS’s interest seems limited all around. They seem content to let CBSSN be the stuff of MWC and Conference USA.

1 Like

SMU will experience what we experienced with the Big East.

9 Likes

The only way they go in with Amazon is if the pac12 values is higher than the big12. If the value is lower , they will fall back to espn to their worst monetary position at 25 million

These combinations are not grave enough to trigger movement to the big12.

What’s needed is a secondary factor which is non existent at this point. There are not outstanding outside forces that would unclog the jam.

The college football playoff question is already answered, BIG isn’t expanding further. The ACC is locked in a contract.

The “If ESPN is still offering $25m” is an important qualifier. It’s not 100% that offer (if it’s the one from the negotiation window) is still on the table.

I think 7 million less and then take in account post season credits. there will be pretty big discrepancy on overall payout to consider.

1 Like

Remember, Arizona has been on record wanting to leave the PAC and yesterday, Arizona State said they would certainly now consider it…We have to see what shakes down these next 6 months… Lots can happen… I rely on our new commish… He gets things done…

2 Likes