Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

LOL

2 Likes

I have a Sam Houston buddy that says they’re headed to the SEC. If you think that’s wild you should hear what that guy’s buddy is saying.

4 Likes

Sweet deal for PAC? mmmmmnnn, no Laugh of the day, thanks
and laughing at SMU too

Jerome is haunted.

IMO, one key idea is that all conference additions have to make money for EACH of: (1) the TV networks AND (2) the conference & it’s current schools AND (3) the school(s) being added.

(with respect to #3, that’s why talk of Arky or Mizzou or Nebraska rejoining the B12 is a pipe-dream — they lose money if they leave the SEC or B1G.)

That means SMU & Utah are out, IMO. They are good schools and bring good rivalries but they don’t bring enough new viewers & TV$s to the B12 TV contract.

With respect to schools that probably do add value: if the BoRs of the two 'Zonas & Colorado are meeting this week, that could indicate those 3 schools are in. The fourth school could be San Diego or Stanford.

Might happen this week. What was that funny re-alignment post a few years ago? “3PM Friday. Poppin Bottles.”?

1 Like

Yeah right.
You think USC and UCLA want to travel to the far east for every conference game not against one another?
By having 4 teams they still get 3 games on the west coast every season plus their BIG home games.

4 Likes

“gathering that is expected to focus on Yormark’s desire to grow the league to as many as 16 members”
https://www.si.com/college/2023/05/29/big-12-meetings-expansion-gonzaga-uconn

2 Likes

I’d add SDSU over Gonzaga.

7 Likes

I have a hard time disagreeing with you unless there is a financial kicker that sweetens our tv dollars for basketball dramatically.

Gonzaga could join basketball-only with a basketball-only payout

I’d be fine with that

6 Likes

Big 10 has major anger from many schools over loss of revenue they counted on. Stipulations in TV contracts with money owed to networks, unwanted November night games being forced to play, and who knows what else? 
Warren left a lot of problems behind when he left. 
BIG losing 5 mil per school at least
Doubt they add anybody
They just want to clean up the mess and clarify what they have to do, game playing wise, like it or not.

Brett Yormark has already mentioned that Gonzaga is not a priority. I’m starting to think that all this expansion talk is click bait, keep people involved and bring in traffic

My opinion is that it would be a bad move for the Big 12
You don’t see the B1G or SEC adding basketball only teams
it’s not a good look for a conference trying to remain at the big boy table

3 Likes

I think adding the Arizona schools and going to 14 would be a good look. Arizona schools fit, and they bring a plum market with them. PAC maintains, just poorer and lower than other P5s
Nobody hurt bad, but we become stronger and most everybody happy, no conferences killed off.

3 Likes

the SEC or BIG Ten don’t need to add a basketball only school. the Big 12 adding Gonzaga and only paying them as a basketball school, obviously, would be a genius move

It waters down the conference
You just said yourself that the B1G and SEC don’t need to add any basketball only members but the best conference in basketball for the last 5 year does ? 
I think not

The BIG Ten and SEC make their money with football and tradition and many other reasons. How in the hell does Gonzaga water down a conference??? They are a national brand that has the players to make a tourney run every season. Water down, lmao.

1 Like

Look up the WAC conference and all the additions they made and see how it turned out for them.
There is no guarantee Gonzaga is going to remain great in basketball either. Look at Boise State in football
If Mark Few leaves, Gonzaga is mediocre at best. The Big 12 doesn’t need to make moves based on 1 coaches success
they need to be strategical about this. Add Arizona and Colorado and stand pat after that. Arizona brings enough in basketball, there is no need to add a Basketball only school
There is No need to get carried away and start adding Gonzaga, UConn, San Diego St etc. Yes that will water down the conference, strech the geography even more and tradition and geographical rivals takes a hit

3 Likes

Gonzaga brings massive attention on a game-by-game basis. They are a national brand. I would bet that a sizable percentage of people that will watch Gonzaga don’t even know what city they are in. They just know Gonzaga.

4 Likes

Do you even know where Gonzaga is?

1 Like