Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

I’m sorry. How can you take anyone that says this seriously?

3 Likes

Probably sitting at his computer typing this copy while smoking a doobie…

SMU is almost like USC.

2 out of 3 letters is close. They are both Universities and Southern.

10 Likes

And former Methodist schools. Wow!! They really are almost the same!!

5 Likes

Wazzu is real people. Can’t speak the same for any of the pac12 except for maybe the Arizona schools. Warm for Utah but they seem a bit victimized by Stockholm syndrome. Colorado, meh. They wear cowboy hats but it seems more village people than marlboro man as of late.

Agree with your thoughts, but I don’t think the ego and greed of those in power will acknowledge it. That is why I think it goes down at the autonomous level.

Personally, I would like to see 80-100 FBS teams in 8 conferences. Those that can’t at least average 20,000 should drop to FCS.

I don’t think any of that matters in the decision to bring in Colorado for the long-term.

Would UCONN add value to the Big 12? Is this why Yormark is interested in them?

1 Like

If they add value, then I would think he would be interested. (yuk) But, if they dilute the existing take home pay of the existing members, it’s not a smart decision.

SMU WAS comparable to USC…in the late 1940s…75 years ago…I am sorry, Pony fans…Doak and Kyle Rote are long gone now…

1 Like

This expansion right now is about football. Yormark after PAC schools…What might happen after, in a BB only sense, i do not know. First, we need to get our PAC targets.

1 Like

Fun comments on the Jim Williams tweet.

https://twitter.com/JWMediaDC/status/1672719460229083142

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1672664047194370048
A fun birthday present for me !!

15 Likes

Creative and forward thinking, but just a lot less money than expected lol

1 Like

Sounds like variable, performance-based payouts will be involved. If Apple is the partner, it could be that they may get a payout per subscriber per year.

SMU will offer to buy a bunch of subscriptions for SMU students and others in order to get into PAC.

Base revenues are likely much lower than Big 12 but potential could get above if they can gain subscribers to the levels of Amazon.

In re-alignment, it’s good to keep in mind that June 30/July 1 are important days for schools with conference exit fees (like SDSU & SMU:see next post) but are not as important for current PAC 12 members which don’t have that fee.

2 Likes

It matters with the new conferences fitting the new teams into their future schedules

The sooner the better.

1 Like

I thought the Big 12 gave potential schools a July 1st deadline.

The problem SDSU faces is the MWC has stated they consider the notice to leave as official. Since they figure SDSU will leave in the near future, either this year or next, why give them a pass on their departure notice? Take the exit fees and find a replacement rather than letting SDSU control the situation and leave at their pleasure.

1 Like

One error that might be fatal for them is they also sent out notices to all 11 conference schools as per conference requirement. If they were only casually wondering what it might be like to leave and sent a friendly note stating such then they might have a case but it appears they checked all the boxes required for an exit. The only questionable part is how they worded the letter but I think they went beyond a friendly inquiry. Of course, that is up to the courts if it gets that far.