Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Like no one talks about library sizes anymore.

1 Like

People have said this about every technological shift since the invention of writing. AI is a substantial part of our future, but it will be made, studied, and used by humans.

1 Like

AI answer to how we are doing as a species

I’d like to share a revelation during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you’re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure.

4 Likes

Okay Mr. T1000

Do you mean T100?

5 Likes

I don’t know whether to chastise you for the wrong answer or to praise you for your brilliance.

1 Like

Most technological advances until recently have mainly been physical/material advancement that yes, are still used and needed by humans. From commercial airplanes to smartphones.

Artificial Intelligence at this point will be used in conjunction with humans I agree, but we will reach a point where AI (more specific Artificial General Intelligence and Artificial Super Intelligence) can accomplish tasks that most intellectually-driven humans can accomplish.

It’s been a longtime assumption that blue collar work would be impacted most by AI versus white collar knowledge work and creative work. We’re at a point now where the exact opposite is happening now.

1 Like

Andrew Marchand article today.

https://archive.is/eXb4a

ESPN and Pac 12 are not close on money. Only chance for Pac 12 to match Big 12 money is a 100% deal with Apple. He’s not predicting it. Just saying that’s the only chance.

So the Pac 12 can have Big 12 money. Or they can have wide distribution. But not both.

3 Likes

Wide distribution is relative because ESPN is pushing for games to be on espn+ and a subscription separate from a cable bundle.

So, if you have to pay extra then do you pay for espn? Or Apple TV and it’s tv content?

If you’re into sports then espn makes sense. If you only watch your team then it’s Apple.

1 Like

I think they ultimately do a short term deal with espn. It’s going to be for less money than the big12.

The pac12 need some central time zone exposure, apple does nothing for them there.

So the old exposure vs Money thing. They PAC kept touting they will get better money, so to be able to lord that over us “Truckstop” schools they will have to go hide out on Apple TV.

2 Likes

I always loved that piece of wisdom from a machine (Agent Smith). Great quote!

I’m often reminded of this scene as well. When John asks “Uncle Bob”. “Are we (humans) going to make it?”

Human Nature

and throwing the below gif in, just because I like good practical effects.

terminator2-animated-gif

Yormark is a genius for negotiating the media rights early. He knew what would happen if we were second in line.

5 Likes

This was obvious.

UCLA is a football parasite. USC demanded they come with them.

Adding Oregon and Washington is a matter of WHEN 
not IF.

I think it’s more the “capture the LA market in its entirety” that was mentioned in this article that played the biggest role.

Combined, USC and UCLA make up about 40% of the PAC’s media value. Money talks
and you know what walks.

And besides, the B1G has to do something in order to shake its “overrated” image in basketball.

Tough time to get $ from them.
Massive layoffs coming for ESPN/Disney @ 7000 total.
@ $ 5.5 billion in costs.

and we STILL do not have a PAC deal done!

How much longer should AZ and CO wait?

1 Like

This from the Zona President in The Athletic

On perceptions that the Pac-12 is on the brink of collapse:

I think Brett (Yormark) is a heck of a salesman, and Endeavor (a Hollywood agency working with the Big 12) is a good PR firm, and they’re working it. And you (the media) are buying what they’re selling.

I tell Brett this all the time, and I’ve got really good friends over the years who are presidents now in the Big 12 schools, I love you guys, but if the roles were reversed, I wouldn’t expect any of you to leave the Big 12 if you didn’t know what deal you were getting there. We’ve got to see what deal we’re getting, and then I’ll be able to make an informed decision.

Until then, it’s all speculation and people fear-mongering and saying, “You don’t want to be the last, because there might not be a seat for you.” Well, I’m not buying into that. I haven’t seen anyone else jump and run. It’d be a problem if enough people did, obviously, and that’s what Brett and the Big 12 are banking on. If you can get Arizona and Colorado to say yes, then the whole Pac-12 — what’s left of it — blows up.

We’re at the end of this thing, even though I’ve said, “Why don’t we just wait and see what happens, see how many horses we can get in the race?” But people are starting to feel the pressure, and all the rumor and speculation that Oregon and Washington are going to leave any day and go to the Big Ten — I mean, that’s not what I’m hearing from people I talk to in the Big Ten.

On the Pac-12’s media rights negotiations:

What I think is going to happen is within the next couple weeks, we’re going to have a deal, and then we’ve got to decide: Is it good enough for us to all take?

I’m still very confident. Back last summer, I was even more confident than I am now because there’s a lot of stuff that’s happened. ESPN/Disney has laid off some people, the economy is not going great, some of the tech companies laid off some people, so I don’t think (the climate) is as good as it probably was back in the summer. I’ve been a lone voice saying: “Why don’t we wait a little bit longer? What’s really forcing us to make this decision right now?” Maybe there are other people who will come into this market who will have an appetite for getting into college football. But (his counterparts) want George to bring the best and final deal as soon as possible, and let’s get this out of the way because it’s a drag on people. And I understand that.

One of my friends has an ear pretty close to what’s going on. He thinks it will be wrapped up by the Final Four. We’ll see.

4 Likes

From what y’all are saying is we get way better exposure for more money and if they want the money close, they get very sucky exposure. This tells me 1 or some should jump bc Oregon and wash want out constantly.