Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Everyone’s going to want regular games in Texas.

Texas will be divided if they do divisions.

Divisions are falling out of favor in CFB.

(Oops. Wrong thread…)

3 Likes

JM don’t disagree with you about TX split but if you did east west, then the Kansas schools seem like they need to get divided as well. They going for that?

I didn’t do East/West.

And it seems 20-team pod works best for making sure you always play your regional core while also playing everyone every 3 years.

College football realignment: FSU wants out of the ACC, but others? Where Clemson, NCSU, UNC, Miami stand

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-football-realignment-florida-state-wants-out-acc-but-others-where-clemson-unc-miami-stand-213686961/#2209170

Very strong fan support. Great tailgating and filled stadium. Produces NFL talent consistently. I’m a little biased living in Raliegh.

I would have thought that works. Some grumbling on this board about efficacy of pods.

I think the issue stems around building yearly rivalries and balancing it with overall recruiting presence, I.e all Texas pod makes it by definition not a yearly visit for others. I would love to play Baylor, Tech and TCU annually, but it seems unlikely given the size of the conference now.

Duke is like Vandy and Boston college. Their football is not up to snuff and the networks pay for football not academics. If you don’t like NC State then we can add Virginia Tech instead.
by the way, glad to have you on this board.

1 Like

“Wake Forest is fasting growing brand” lmao you can’t make up stuff and pretend it sticks

1 Like

I mentioned Ga Tech because they aren’t linked. I’ve heard NC State is likely tied to UNC, and definitely read Virginia’s BOR prefers Va Tech remains with Virginia. Where as Georgia Tech doesn’t have that.

Personally, I don’t think either moves the needle for football. Fan support isn’t Brand Awareness and neither have “brands” but I like market argument by adding Atlanta, and with GT also being AAU Research, that is intriguing.

For football, I think VT probably has the strongest upside. But I also admit I don’t follow ACC middling football programs to know much other than Vick went there 25 years ago.

1 Like

I’d like for us to snag GaTech if the B1G doesn’t.

I don’t want the B1G to have BOTH of America’s top public engineering schools. The B1G already has Purdue.

I’d like for the Big 12 to have the other.

And we’d also get a football brand with four national titles and the huge Atlantic market.

NO BRAINER!!!

1 Like

No more triple option either! Double bonus

2 Likes

Big 12 needs to go after Cal and Stanford right now in order to establish the Big 12 as a reputable academic conference, and then we can save 2 spots for when the ACC implodes and get 2 quality schools instead of the breadcrumbs. Having Cal/Stanford will check the academic box that ACC schools will look for.

ACC would rather have Notre Dame and UNC

2 Likes

Aren’t UNC and NC State polar opposites in academics and overall culture?

UNC is incredibly prestigious and probably attracts more northeast students than NC State’s overall southern traditional demographic

NC State has all the Engineering, Techie, and Agricultural stuff.

All the rest is at UNC.

NC State is the land-grant school. Used to be NC A&M.

UNC is the public flagship. Think UT-Austin in Chappell Hill, NC.

Why not just Stanford? At least they’ve demonstrated a semblance of care and resources to athletics.

We can get Duke later. Cal feels like wasting precious silver media bullets.

1 Like

I’m open to the idea, as I said, only because the B1G and SEC each already has an academically elite misfit (NW in the B1G, and Vandy in the SEC).

Perhaps the Big 12 needs its own…you know…in order to keep up with the Joneses!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The West Coast alone is very large, and they’re going to need one more close travel partner. It’ll also be hard to convince Stanford to join without another really great academic school

Stanford, Cal, Arizona State and Utah are in decent geographic ranges for traveling.

1 Like

Hear you but we’ve got plenty of PAC schools now as “traveling partners”. Don’t you want to balance this out on the east coast? Stanford legitimately is not just a traveling partner, while Berkeley has almost no other meaning.

1 Like