Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

And there is no need to “convince” Stanford of anything. They proactively called.

If we go into divisions, then west coast schools would most likely rarely play the east coast schools.

I do agree with a Big 12 West and Big 12 East.

Are we sure about that? Has anyone other than one very suspect source reported that?

I’ll take a UH EE over a Purdue EE any day of the week…

I have worked with a few talented Boilermakers, though…

I disagree

Stanford’s leverage right now is that athletics is simply a leisure pillar of their existence. They won’t go into the MWC because of academics, and they will hesitate to go independent because they’ll be scheduling mostly MWC teams anyway. Maybe a USC and 1 more quality Power 3 team, but the Power 3 conferences are going to be so loaded that they won’t have any reason to schedule Stanford.

Stanford either gets a very unlikely B1G invite, join the Big 12, or drop football as a sport completely

Would you take UH EE over Georgia Tech EE?

Credible or not wrt to the source. It’s very believable that any school is not going to make ultimatums as it relates to conditioning their decisions based on other independent schools.

I know you would immediately think to Texas, but hey everyone ultimately did their own thing.

I don’t have any presuppositions in this regard. But on MHVer’s credibility, I did a Google search, and nothing to the effect of Stanford approaching the Big 12 came up.

I’m open to having them IF the interest is real.

But it’d shock the Hell out of me if Stanford truly wanted to be in a conference with the likes of BYU and Baylor.

I’ve been fairly consistent on this board about Stanford. I have said always that their athletics is not some “leisurely pillar”. I can’t dissuade you, but that does not make your view correct.

Maybe but times change. The landscape is changing.

You may be correct about that.

But consider this. Is there any school out there that would be more negatively impacted by the Transfer Portal and NIL environment than Stanford?

As I’ve said…today’s TP/NIL world favors a semi-professional athlete that goes around and even moves around looking for the best money deal.

It does NOT favor a committed, academically oriented student athlete. That HURTS football and men’s basketball programs like Stanford’s that rely on that very type of recruit.

I hear you, but I guess what I’m trying to point out is the distinction between so-called academic schools. Everyone thinks they’re the same, but they’re not. I would argue Stanford is far closer to ND and Northwestern in their athletic commitment than say Rice (the pits).

1 Like

I concur there.

1 Like

And outside of lack of recent football success, a la Harbaugh era, Stanford stands pretty tall and competitive across the landscape.

I agree with you on Ga Tech over NC State. My four are:
Ga Tech
Miami
Louisville - I don’t really like them because of our time with them in CUSA. But they’ve been as diligent as anybody to attain P5 status so I’ll give them their due.
Pitt - I don’t like them either but their proximity and rivalry with WVU get them in.

2 Likes

If Stanford actually wants big12, we should invite them.

1 Like

Could not agree more.

If Stanford goes independent, does Baseball go independent as well, or do they join the MWC conference for baseball only?

Yes… Every UH EE from my class is absolutely killing it professionally.

3 Likes

Good to hear.

I wish the AAU would take notice!

1 Like