Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

Well, you see, you said he was full of it. You said he was attention seeking. Others of your fandom disagreed, but I had some history and some proof.

As for “your” board, hate to break it to ya, but I’ve been warmly welcomed here, not once, but twice. In fact, you’re the first disparaging run in I’ve had. Guess that makes you special. Or just the only a*shole of the bunch.

Either way, I came to talk facts. You can’t can’t provide any, so you resort to animal and gendered put downs.

Kid, I’ve been on message boards for 25 years. There ain’t nothing you can say to me to intimidate. Like any good kitty, go fluff yourself.

1 Like

We needed Utah’s football brand.

They’ve won the last two Rose Bowls.

2 Likes

You are welcome here.

Appreciate the insight.

Ignore anyone getting belligerent about this stuff. I count Scheer as second only to McMurphy when it comes to credibility on these things.

That said.

SDSU will have to pay a $34 million exit fee, so no. They aren’t going to any power conference anytime soon.

Stanford, as I said, I’d welcome them IF they are interested, for the academic prestige and for the late night time slots… But as I’ve also said, it’d shock the Hell out of me if they joined a conference with BYU and Baylor. I’ve yet to hear a reputable source confirm any interest on their part. Then again, at this point, what else can they do? Maybe they will seek us out.

As for UConn, that’s a real crappy football brand to have to bring on board. Hell, they were bad even by AAC standards. Great as they are in basketball, I don’t know if that makes up for their football deficiencies. But if we got Stanford as well, maybe I could tolerate them.

FINALLY, I know why they are called Four Corners. No one explained it on this board.



Is BYU a Four Corner school?
:thinking:

3 Likes

Wonder Bread is not a wonder. It is just bread.

I appreciate the welcome.

As for SDSU, they already left their conference, despite exit fee, and that was at partial share of a deal rumored to be less than Big12. So, while I understand the thinking they aren’t in the running for a while, recent history says they are aggressive and looking and don’t mind less money.

I’m largely in agreement on UConn, and have mostly argued for a Basketball Only if they were going to join for the very reasons you discussed.

I mentioned them here just riffing on various reports and known facts, that Yormark, a sound business strategist, could be using leverage of UConn via ESPN to add PST zone program via ESPN paying more for taking UConn. Certainly a hypothetical worth discussing since we know Yormark is thorough and proactive.

Stanford is tough. I also don’t see them working well with BYU and Baylor. But perhaps the non-religious was primarily an LA Schools and Cal-led elitism through osmosis type thing? Hell, USC at one point was loosely Methodist I recall.

There’s one more reason why Stanford could be intrigued, one not really discussed, but Robert Robbins, president of Arizona, has interviewed and is a candidate in good standing with Stanford for their Presidency. He has some connections, there’s mutual interest, and while it’s considered a stretch to consider him the favorite, given how he’s from Texas and orchestrated 3 other programs to join Big12, that’s a bit of info worth thinking about. Robbins taught at Stanford, decades back and was division chair of his speciality in their Med School.

Can someone tell me what our share is in the Big XII and when we are promoted to full shares?

2 Likes

It’d be 100%. I’m teasing.

I’m only regurgitating rough numbers. 31.7 mil plus bowls and such. Seen it as high as 50+ written here

You UA folks as other’s are welcome here. We appreciate your input and feedback. We’re all conference mates.

2 Likes

No. Theyre not the state flagship

New Mexico is the true 4th corner instead of Arizona State but UNM didn’t invest in football like they should have after that bowl run in the 2000s.

1 Like

Why did we double up on Arizona when Stanford was also interested?

They clearly do NOT want to be here.

1 Like

Answers: a) Greater Phoenix market, and b) better football brand better able to navigate today’s NIL and transfer portal environment.

As for ASU being in the Big 12……what choice do they have?

I thought 31.7M was the full share. I believe that’s what Colorado and company are getting. Am I misunderstood?

I would think that Stanford and San Diego St. would bring lots of eyeballs to The Big 12 advertisers. Exactly what media partners want.

And so does UConn. A reminder that the Huskies and the Aztecs just played for the National Title.

That is 3 possibilities. Is there a 4th?

1 Like

We already had the Phoenix/Arizona market with UA.

Stanford would have also gotten us part of the Bay area market.

Plus we had leverage over both schools.

The irony I see from ASU is they act like they’re Ohio State in Athletics and Stanford in academics. They’re not.

As @uhlaw97 likes to use the phrase parasite, what has ASU accomplished in 45 years in the PAC? Football, one Rose Bowl, same as Illinois in the same timeframe. Basketball, Final 4’s - Zero. Two elite 8’s - during the Kennedy administration. No PAC titles. Athletically, seems parasitic to me. I’ll give them their due, they were really good in baseball, 50-60 years ago.

Their academics are good, but most people remember them as a multiple winner of the best party school in the country.

They don’t even have an original hand sign.

Of the eight schools that have joined the conference in the last 14 months, they might be fighting Utah for the most despised (although, I know our Texas brethren love having us back :rofl:.)

1 Like

As I said, I’m not averse to adding Stanford, more for their academic prestige and late night time slot than the Bay Area market (which I am NOT convinced that they can deliver), or for their ability to be competitive in football or men’s basketball long-term (the schools least well equipped to survive in today’s NIL/transfer portal environment are the “bookish” schools like Stanford).

But again…is there any proof that they have any interest in joining?

I sure haven’t seen it. I don’t consider MHver a credible source in that regard.

I went to a Stanford fan board the other day, and the only string I saw talked about them joining the Ivy League, not the Big 12.

We’ll see though. What choice do they have really? De-emphasize football? Play a “Road Warriors” Indy schedule? Join the academically inferior MWC?

Hopefully they’ll come around.

HEY!!!

DON’T COPY ME!!!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just kidding!

I don’t think we should add any more PAC schools.

We should leave those 4 spots for the ACC schools to fill in the southeast part of our footprint.

The ultimate question is , why didn’t we add Arizona (#14) and then fully evaluate Utah, Arizona State, Stanford and even SDSU for those final 2 spots?

We didn’t have to rush and might have been able to get them to agree to a reduced share.

2 Likes

We did exactly what we were supposed to do.

KILL THE PAC when we had a chance.

They waited to “evaluate” expansion options and look what happened to them.

2 Likes