Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

I actually kind of like SDSU. I don’t think they’d have any problems being competitive in this league. My main question is whether or not expansion make’s financial sense but if it does I’d honestly prefer them over either OSU or WSU. Something to keep in mind though is that the pac-4 schools all need a home for next year, where as SDSU likely wouldn’t be able to afford to leave until 2025 because of the MWC exit fees. So I wonder how those two timelines might affect things.

2 Likes

Yes, I didn’t want to compare SDSU to Houston. I don’t know enough. But SDSU has an MLB MVP, NFL MVP, 2x NBA Finals MVP since 1990. That’s pretty damn rare. They have had good on-field success since 2010, have had several epic games vs Arizona in basketball, held their own in football, and within the last decade had the #1 overall pick in baseball.

They are someone in need of a bigger community of resources and bigger stage and they happen to be a foothold into SoCal, provide late night time slots, and open up a multi-million population market with good local fan support.

Anyways.

It is a program a smart Commish offers and accepts because it has everything you need to gain a monster… similar to Houston.

For the record, before you were in the Big12, Houston was my SDSU and I argued over a decade ago that PAC-10 should bring Houston with Texas and Oklahoma and Ok State.

I know diamonds in need of a spotlight.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m fighting hard because I wanted ASUs spot to go to them! Haha

Yes, and Max Olsen just shut it down that there’s no discussions about adding Oregon St or SDSU.

Look I’ll end it here because it’s gettin late lol.

SDSU is a great institution, and they mirror a lot of the things that UH had for so many years as a G5. Again, the difference is that UH was primarily invited to save the Big 12. Currently, the Big 12 has no reason to invite SDSU. We can survive and flourish without them, and having SDSU in the conference would just dilute the overall shares for everyone else rather than add to it (i.e. SDSU joining the Big 12 would benefit SDSU more than it benefits the Big 12) because contractually the escalator clause wouldn’t apply to them. I don’t even think the clause would apply to Stanford.

I think it’s best if the Big 12 doesn’t bring anyone else in until the ACC implodes; however, I think by adding Stanford, the Big 12 would get a great boost to its academic reputation which would help entice top schools from the ACC to join us. Such as a Miami or a Duke.

1 Like

I would prefer SDSU over WSU and OSU as well if that was the hypothetical situation on the table

1 Like

This max

Mr Finger On The Pulse he promoted Oregon and Washington were inclined to stay with Pac, and less than two hours later, was surprised they left the Pac. BTW, as discussed by Michael Crow, President of ASU, Oregon and Washington didn’t even show up to the Friday morning meeting. That’s right, while Max and The Athletic was reporting they were staying in Pac, they weren’t even showing up to the meeting.

Believe who you want. I’ll not believe them. They are reactionary reporters. Not investigative journalists.

I’m sure snap decisions were being made that Friday evening. There were several journalists reporting that even Arizona was intending to stay with the PAC, no?

And then a few hours later, Oregon and Washington were gone.

Regardless, I don’t see SDSU getting that invite. Maybe things change, and I would be happy for them.

But please god do not invite Washington St or Oregon St!

Not Scheer. That’s the point.

Trust those worthy of trust, not those who tell you what you want to hear.

Scheer, Thursday on national radio said Arizona was leaving and likely bringing Utah and ASU, short of ASU’s Crow doing something dumb.

Friday morning Crow rallied some support for the Apple deal, possibly up to 4/9 supporters (likely ASU, Cal, OSU, Wazzu) and while reporters tripped over themselves to hype PacX Lives, Scheer reported “Arizona, ASU, Utah are still on track to leave, but if needed, Arizona was prepared to go alone.”

He said one year ago none of this is decided until Big10 figures out what to do with Oregon, Washington, Stanford.

National media need clicks and stories and hyped headlines.

All Scheer needs is accuracy. He has his core. He’s gained so many subs because of his accuracy, and they are likely to remain subs because he’s not pumping them full of feel goods and hype.

Again, he never said a deal was forthcoming or even agreed upon. He reported the Big12, at the behest of filling late night slots, wasn’t done exploring and doing due diligence.

You mean one of these?

3 Likes

LMAO, Scheer wrote this Aug 7th, 2022, entitled “Waiting On The BIG10” and all of it is dead on what came about over the last year to month to week.





While major media all talked up the conference and media viability and expansion, it all came down to ESPN and Fox walking away, BIG walking off with Oregon and Washington, that no media deal of quality in money and viewership was made available, and Arizona working under the table to secure a Big12 offer.

The crap Jason endured daily on Twitter from media, and he’s gonna be scared now to report what he’s confirmed just because it’s unpopular?

ASUs and Utah’s Jason were hyping up BIG invites at that time, and Jason had the measured approach to say the conference us screwed, there’s too many outside influences determining too much of it, longevity isn’t there, nor would it be agreed to by Oregon and Washington who want out, nor would a decision on anything happen until BIG and Oregon/Washington concluded their dance.

Anyways. Last of my Jason propaganda. Just know, he’s literally the best there has been on the alignment topic, and it’s not close, and folks like myself have seen it for 2 decades.

The Dream was my Nightmare as a Suns fan. But I had long been a fan since his Houston days. Like Houston, SDSU has had quite the peaks when it comes to pro talent. Highlights what they can do with the right coaches and the right stage and the right resources.

1 Like

More I think about it, could BY have taken Arizona and ASU, and waited on Stanford to decide on the 16th slot.

Just don’t see a real appeal on Utah Utes particular with BYU being a town away

ESPN is greedy as they want all if they could - espn wants content and if they can show live fb from 11 am cst to 1 am cst they will try

Trust me I’ve been in the room

Utah has won the Pac12 two years in a row. Previously in the last 15 years they have had an undefeated season, and another BCS Bowl season where they beat Alabama. They draw well.

In hoops they are solid periodically and randomly good. They have more upside in hoops as history shows, but current coach is limited. They also bring major winter Olympic sports sending more winter Olympian’s than any program.

Also major Academics. Pretty sure AAU designation.

Screw you, house cat. He threw as much spaghetti as the rest of them the last six months. Now get your catnip and STFU. You think he was the only one predicting what happened. Hell, this whole board was predicting that. Does that make us Sharyl Attkison?!?

Give you proof? This guy tweeted 16 thousand times.
Do they have a f—- “Reading” department in Tucson or is just one big Early Child Development
campus?

1 Like

LMAO, you’re a cat, too, dude.

Found the town stooge in this community. LMAO

All these guys BS’ers. If you haven’t figured that out by now then I can’t help you.

Are you trying to make sense or just riffing? There’s not even drunk sense in this drivel. Nice try, tho.

Prove it, stooge. Find it, post it, or, scoop up your own messy litter and throw it the hell out, because you’re the only one spraying your stink in the thread.

Look, Mrs Scheer, you love the guy. But you don’t have to come to our board and relive his life for the past six months. God, you’re gonna fit in with Texas Tech.

1 Like