Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

It seems like zero opportunity for a chance to be featured on College Gameday, if you go Apple exclusive.

I know they obviously cover matchups that aren’t just on ESPN, etc., but I can’t imagine you’re getting a lot of visibility if they have to wrangle with media rights from Apple (if they would?) for highlights, etc…

Where does Apple TV fall for streaming numbers. I mean obviously behind Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, Amazon, HBO & Netflix. Im guessing behind paramont and peacock as well.

The presidents of the PAC 12 are on record as saying they are waiting to see the TV deal.

So more people than ESPN. That is kinda shocking. But about the same as Bollywood and behind Paramount.

I wouldn’t trust those estimated numbers. And if you do, Apple’s estimate was from 12/2020 which may have coincided with Ted Lasso’s release. They’ve definitely not hit on anything that big since then. I wouldn’t be shocked if the numbers were lower now.

Note that the link was for global subscriptions. Apple TV in some form is available in over 100 countries. ESPN + is only available in the US and last report was 24.9M subscriptions. Apple does not break out Apple TV + from all their subscription services, but I have read It’s estimated more than half of Apple tv subscribers, maybe up to 3/4, are taking advantage of free promotional viewing via other purchases, such as one year free with a new ipad or iphone. ESPN + does not have any free promotional period. Apple and ESPN may have around the same number of total US subscribers If including both paid & promotional.

2 Likes

I don’t think the Pac would do that for any reason other than trying to stay competitive with the B12. They want to appear equal even if its superficial. The problem, like someone else posted, is each game would draw only a fraction more viewers than those supporting the two teams.

That’s $249M per month. Almost $3B per year. Lot of money.

The streaming guide is a score and not # of subscribers.

• A streaming service’s quality of TV content (and not just original content)
  • A service’s buzz or hype (Did it have a good week?)
  • A service’s level of prestige (Does it win awards?)
  • A service’s utility as an app (Does it make TV watching better?)
  • The average cost of a service

Thanks read it totally wrong.

The point is, even if they get a TV deal that is in the Big 12 neighborhood, the Pac 12 is still breaking up.

The Big 10 is coming for Oregon and Washington.

The SWC, Big East, The Pac 12…all relegated to the history books.

4 Likes

I still don’t understand why washore become suddenly viable for the B10 if other schools leave. They could have them right now for any discount.

2 Likes

They don’t want to be responsible for dismantling the PAC before PAC has been presented with their media rights offer… assuming it’s as bad as people speculate, orewash will seek membership and be admitted at a reduced share, until the next media rights negotiation. Waiting on the PAC to crater on its own. That’s my take, anyway.

2 Likes

This ^^^^

It’s all about to happen quick.

April 15th is the deadline for Kliavkoff.

He presented current numbers framework today and it was not well received.

Don’t know if this has been posted, but was reading on the Arizona St. site and some are saying the Big XII has shown interest in San Diego St. The Aztecs would only get a half share for 12 years since they are G5. The post also said Arizona, Colorado, and Utah would be invited and get the pro rata agreement with ESPN. Might be old news (or pure BS since it was from a message board), just wasn’t sure if there was any truth to this.

Why bring in SDSU and keep them in the cellar by never letting them get equal revenues? If OU and UW go to the B1G, half shares can be close to $50M per year soon. The Big 12 half shares aren’t even close. Makes no sense.

1 Like

SDSU is only an option if Utah doesn’t accept an invite with the other 4 corner schools.

It won’t be at a half share.

According to Jon Wilner there was no board meeting today,

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1638337808401334272?s=20

Not sure how he presented those numbers to the board.

The Arizona 24/7 message board is the best for information, and Jason Sheer, their moderator is on top of this story better than anyone else.