Big 12 / SEC / B10 Expansion Thread (Part 2)

If we had more millionaire alumni maybe we would get the big donations but with the corporate people there would only be a maximum amount that we would get every year. They have to pay alot to other organizations and then still make a profit to these people who invest in them. Basically we’re one more mouth to eat.

20 mil per team? If so we’re gonna add some for sure.

1 Like

Getting major NIL as related to football from anyone not an alum or connected with UH in some way will be improbable until we show on the football field the Coogs are ongoing winners. That puts them in the limelight.

If going into the Big12, we had the season we played in 2021 playing in AAC championship against NFP Cincinnati, we could maybe stir up some NIL right now.

Also, truth is nobody really understands the NIL and what it brings to those who contribute to it. That makes getting big dollars from non-alum really tough.

Swaim is dishonest.

1 Like

Swaim states as a fact some things no one knows yet, i think, like what BIG will do…but he isnt wrong about how bad a shape PAC is in…Apple is only bidder and their number is 200 million…thats 20 mil per school…and that will not keep people from leaving, once Big 12 offers…

3 Likes

Texas A&M is running its NIL through the 12th Man Foundation. Has UH looked into some affiliation with Linking Coogs and Cougar Pride? Perhaps give CP credit to donors who contribute to LC. Have it vetted by the attorneys because it is pushing the NCAA envelope.

1 Like

Swaim is a total hack. He shares false information on twitter constantly. His track record is terrible.

2 Likes

Swaim is not a credible source.

2 Likes

Almost all NIL is pushing the envelope. Just that no one has any desire to call out the pay for play aspect (which technically is not included) and risk getting put into some bucket as being hateful to players…

I like the two bucket breakdown.

Unfortunately, I think 90%+ is in bucket 1 now. I think this will eventually get called out as it is not technically allowed under NIL.

The big factor for getting major companies involved is that they need to follow true rules for NIL vs grey areas. Also NIL is a business expense, not a charitable donation. They are looked at differently and with a marketing expense, they expect a return. Will said player be recognizable enough to earn a spot in a TV commercial or as a social media influencer. Big corporations I guess probably prefer to use charitable donations for the tax benefits (and goodwill marketing aspects).

If these players were actually being paid true value for their NIL, they will find they are not worth very much for 99% of the players.

1 Like

Yes in football, NIL isn’t an economic contract between the player and someone or business that will use their Name, Image or Likeness for economic gain.

It is payroll. It ain’t NIL, it is payroll.

It won’t be long before someone makes the case that NIL is payroll payments that are skirting payroll taxes.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/jongrove02/status/1661831530916749364?s=20

9 Likes

“If we had more millionaire alumni”

UH is one of the “Top 100 Universities World Wide in producing millionaires”. SMU is the only other Texas school on that list. UH also has more than 3500 alumni that are CEOs.

With the #1 entrepreneurship program in the U.S. those metrics should not surprise anyone.

UH is becoming a giant.

6 Likes

Texas and aTm aren’t on the list of Texas millionaire producing schools?

Something is rotten with that data.

2 Likes

Just looked it up and the 3 top public Texas schools are all on that list.

But they also have a large share of t shirt fans who made a few dollars also which helps and more folks with generational wealth -

The uh millionaire is likely first generation and don’t have that cash to blow on athletics as a status symbol

Like some said - nil is a risky gamble anyway for anyone so there will be hesitancy for a self made millionaire as opposed to one where wealth was passed down or access to a revenue producing product

1st, i dont believe the PAC will remain together, eventually the revenue and exposure of their upcoming media contract will rip them to pieces, and secondly the same thing happens with the ACC. Now the ACC might eventually WANT WVU, Cincinnati and UCF, but those 3 schools will be making better revenue in the Big 12 and playing better competition overall than against a leftover ACC. Would it be great to play Pitt, Louisville, and maybe Virginia Tech again? Sure it would but it will have to be in the Big 12 with the better revenue and probably better exposure.

4 Likes

Possum is disgusting, but Squirrel…ooooh eee! Thats good eatin’.

1 Like

The referenced ranking “World’s top 100 universities for producing millionaires”
can be viewed at:

A ranking from the UK does not tilt for or against U.S. universities.

UH’s #1 entrepreneurship program is producing. There is no reason to doubt UH’s high ranking in millionaires with over 3500 grads being CEOs. UH’s entrepreneurship program has ranked in the top 3 every year starting in 2007.

2 Likes

That list is a decade old and printed at the end of the real estate bust so I imagine that list may have changed. The top 15 will remain the same through the self professing rich getting richer.

What I’m surprised to have found out recently is that engineering appears to be the pathway to wealth. Considering undergraduate business schools provide a disproportionate amount of yearly graduates, I would have thought business majors would be the millionaire horde.