Big East to AAC

The first game in the AAC was UH @ Rutgers and we destroyed them.

3 Likes

I trust our leadership is putting us in the best possible position for success. It’s not like they’re naïve to what COULD happen with realignment. From what we’ve heard, our leadership has been in discussions with the Pac-12 for years. Plus, when we were invited to the big east, it was not only a step up to get out of C-USA, but we didn’t have any other viable options. With a move to the Big 12 we are well-positioned to prove our worth as a P5 and strengthen our position for any possible realignments in the future.

2 Likes

Why not?

2 Likes

Definitely a cautionary tale here. A lot can happen between now and the time we actually join the Big 12.

That being said, the Big East we joined a decade ago was clearly less stable than the Big 12 we’re joining today.

1 Like

It looks like the departure of Rutgers and Louisville sent the Big East on a downward spiral.

Once that happened the C7 were out , Boise and SDSU had a change of heart, and we had to go grab the scraps of CUSA.

We “thought” we were entering a premiere basketball conference with BCS access in football with Rutgers and Louisville as solid members.

I’m just saying the similarities to the Big 12 are there.

We need to keep our head on a swivel.

2 Likes

It could happen again, but this time is much different.

“The Alliance” agreeing they aren’t going to pick off the Big 12 for the time being is a huge difference.

There’s also not an uneasy alliance between schools with and without FBS football.

1 Like

Who needs to add teams? AAC, MWC and Sunbelt

I don’t understand the paranoia.

1 Like

To me the worry is that, as their TV contracts come up, the P12 & B10 talk to the networks about expanding

P12 could take anyone in B12

B10 could take anyone in ACC, B12, P12

If ESPN says take this school and get more TV$, the conference probably does it, IMO

I was there! It was great!

ETA: They weren’t first, though, that was Temple. Houston vs Temple was the conference’s very first game. We also played Temple in the first conference championship game.

2 Likes

The way that all happened was in horrible error, and Tulane in particular was just shockingly bad, but honestly I’m not sure what additions (including ones I would have preferred over these three) could have avoided the Big East’s fate.

BIG prized target would be USC and that is likely not going happen before their media deal renewal next season. Alliance agreement quashes any BIG expansion west anytime soon.

The pac12 will not expand as long as USC stays in the pen

The 2013 game with Rutgers is among the most memorable games of my UH t-shirt fan career.

5 Likes

Man, I had forgotten how good we looked against Rutgers.

1 Like

I agree. That game was awesome! That game and the Penn state were Levine’s best as HC.

He also had some very hard fought Ls vs Bridgewater / Louisville and Bortles/UCF in our early years in the AAC.

Greenberry was a beast.

1 Like

This catch against Rutgers:

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, we had 1st and goal at the end of the game to win and couldn’t get it in in 4 tries.

If I’m correct that game aired on kube-tv. Which I thought was really cool because I didn’t have cable at the time and it was the first time I saw a coog game on terrestrial tv.

Man those jerseys were so ugly.

1 Like

That’s back when DG was good. He killed Rutgers and their freshman corners that day.