Big East to AAC

Biggest panic move AAC made during the process.

1 Like

The argument for Tulane in particular was weak. Which is kind of funny because they have done better than Tulsa and ECU, who were good at the time.

The conference was in a bit of a bind because if they’d gone west they would have lost the basketball schools, and if they’d tried to please the basketball schools they’d have lost the football schools. Instead they found teams that displeased just about everyone equally. Except the schools that thought it was a good idea, I suppose.

In the end, without doubling down one way or the other (west or basketball), even better picks would not have saved things.

Man, those WHITE HELMETS were so ugly.

UH calls that combo its “Icy White” uniform. I don’t care for it, either.

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/906306184126242817

Yeah, really not a fan of white helmets. Not a fan of the candy red, either, but it’s better than the white.

I am keeping an eye on KANSAS. What it does could start an avalanche.

1 Like

All I remember about him was he didn’t match the hype. He caught the spectacular passes, but dropped the easy ones- usually when we really needed a completion.

Yep. And be ready for anything.

I think we could lose Kansas, but I don’t think that changes the fundamentals for the rest of the conference. Lose a great basketball program and a crappy football program for a good basketball and good football program in Memphis. It would be a loss, but not a huge one. If we lose another one with them (either ISU to the Big Ten, or WVU to the ACC), I think it stops there.

I think we’re past “Other conference expanded so we have to now!” (including cases where I would be thinking pretty hard about expansion, if I were the Pac-12 or ACC.)

Kansas is valuable because it is one of the biggest names in basketball.
That in itself is worth a lot of $$.

It’s definitely worth some (which is why Big Ten or ACC would consider them if they could find a satisfactory #16, I believe) but by the Big 12 calculations the TV contract is 3/4 football and 1/4 basketball.

Remember that when the AAC lost UConn, it didn’t move the needle. Maybe they’re not Kansas, but the AAC was starting from a much lower baseline. (And Connecticut has won two national championships since Kansas’s last one, so it’s not like they’re incomparable.)

I’m not seeing how B1G picks up KU. Does harm to football which is driving the whole thing.

I’d expect B1G to target Clemson and Fl St or no one.

If they raid the ACC, I don’t think they take the most competitive teams. I think they take the teams that best fit and are adjacent. Expanding footprint rather than choosing most competitive teams.

I agree, but right now everybody is reacting. Once that settles, I have a feeling ESPN will push for 4 16 team super conferences. As long as they are writing the checks…