BIG XII Tourney

Originally, they were great. Back when only a handful of teams made it. I remember the ACC tournament crowned the ACC champion which guaranteed a birth. Now, when half a conference makes the tournament, it’s just a money grab. Although, it is intriguing when a team comes out of nowhere to steal a bid.

Kellen’s Go Coogs interview addressed this.

He said there’s no such thing as a good loss. Said you don’t want an early exit and “well you get a chance to rest”. Kellen said, “if we lose there ain’t no resting back home.”

Philosophy is that he’d “rather play three games in three days knowing that we’re humming, playing our best, in rhythm, belief, confidence, swagger… and then go into March Madness.”

4 Likes

KU’s Hunter Dickinson, Kevin McCullar Jr. out for Big 12 tourney

Maybe Shead and Roberts can rest?

1 Like

Don’t bet on it.

Kellen said in his interview that we are playing to WIN in the conference tourney.

2 Likes

I totally get it on one hand but if elder Sampson has learned anything from what happened to Sasser before the Dance last year, he’d limit Shead’s minutes to no more than 12-16 at the very least. I get that we’re going for it all and we have limited depth but other than the number 1 overall seed, which is virtually irrelevant since we have the top seed in the South wrapped up, we have nothing to play for and will need Shead for the rest of March into April after the conference tourney.

Hell, give Elvin relatively big minutes, he may be needed and could use some minutes in a high stakes (though not do-or-die high stakes per se) to get some experience just in case we suffer another injury and really need him to give us anything at all in the Dance other than garbage time minutes.

1 Like

LOL at Kansas being a sleeper pick. And an even bigger LOL if that pick was made after it was announced that McCullar and Dickinson won’t be playing. Those 2 guys are their only source of scoring.

2 Likes

This will be a virtual home game for ISU. Think our S16 matchup in San Antonio vs AZ, times 5.

1 Like

I’m in your camp that our critical starters Shead and Roberts should be on strict minutes limits. Not just to prevent injury and being tired. But also to get Dunn, Wilson, and Lath feeling “it” for the big tournament. Lath needs time to get his defense more on point and his offense to catch the ball and go up for the lay up. I want Dunn to get a full head of confidence in his shot, same with Mylik and his handles.

You can still play to win, but without risking everything going forward.

3 Likes

NY Post also in on KU regardless.
“PICK: Kansas Jayhawks win the Big 12 Tournament (14/1)
Kansas also will be without stars Hunter Dickinson and Kevin McCullar Jr.,”

Yup. Anyone I know who has any luck gambling never bets these Gasbags picks.

1 Like

Give me either.
OU beat our defense once but it won’t happen again. They shot better than they ever have or likely will again.
TCU was running scared in the first match until Shead was taken out of the game and we lost our composure. That’s was the one game I felt we were out of character down the stretch.
Either team feels like a redemption but TCU may need the OU win to make the dance.

1 Like

Picking Kansas while stating they won’t have MCCullers and Dickinson seems pretty stupid.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s insane! I think the winner of Cincy and WVU beats Kansas in the 2nd round. In fact, I might need to re-fund my BetOnline account for that reason alone.

2 Likes

Hopefully our 3 bench guys get plenty of time to hone their skills like they did against Kansas, especially Lath

3 Likes

Weird, it says our game will be at 2pm, Thursday on ESPN. Got on the phone to schedule it on the DVR and they have an NBA game scheduled.

Oh man. I just rewatched the Sweet 16 game in San Antonio. It has pumped me up so much for post season play. That pro UH crowd at AT&T Center was awesome!

2 Likes

My cable guide shows UH on ESPN on Thursday.

The send off is 10:30 AM, Wednesday, 3/13/24, at the GVL Developmental Center.

https://x.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1767605508951691394?s=20

I have Comcast/Xfinity and the game is scheduled for 2:00 PM on ESPN2. There is a scoreboard show preceding the UH game, so hopefully the first game does not go into overtime, which pushes the other game back.

It is cold AF there in the winter time. KC is one of America’s most humid cities.