Biggest Concern versus OSU

My biggest concern when play OSU is the officiating. They are a brand name. And last time we played a brand name like Michigan we got up big. Rob Gray was penetrating, getting fouled, and going to the line in the first half. In the second half every time he was fouled they swallowed their whistles. And let UM get close enough to win it on a miracle shot.

When I watched OSU yesterday, I’m not saying that the officials helped them…but they definitely did not hurt them. Every time the game got to one possession some phantom call or no call went their way. A no-call elbow which should have been a Flagrent-1 when ISU wad own 2. Ref called ISU for stepping on the line after an OSU missed shot…the review showed differently. And about two or three other calls mentioned by the announcers.

We are going to have to overcome a decent OSU and some suspect officiating if they are the same guys calling ISU/OSU. OSU played really well and out hustled ISU, but no suspect calls went against them.

3 Likes

You always have to beat two opponents in basketball. The best way is to tell the refs you’re the best and to do what you say.

2 Likes

And whatever they do: No more 5 point plays, ever!!!

7 Likes

We win that Michigan game and I would bet we would have gotten a better ranking this year in the polls.

1 Like

Yeah outside of the 5 point play there were a few 4-5 point swings from no calls to keep them in the game.
Then in the last 10 min we were dominating but ewe were no longer allowed to move on defense without a foul being called. Even then we had the game in control before two missed FTs and the luckiest shot of the season.

3 Likes

INDEED! I have been watching basketball games, like “forever,” and that was the ONLY one I have ever seen!

1 Like

my only concern is Brooks disappearing again like he did in 1st game and like he did all last years tournament… Some players can’t handle the spotlight. Hopefully that’s not the case…

2 Likes

I would agree; nonetheless, Brooks needs to start adjusting to the spotlight to give us the needed versatility. He is no longer a junior in my book.

2 Likes

It was such a weird sequence of events. I really thought it was rigged or something.

2 Likes

We should have the nerves of Round 1 behind us and we’re playing in the same arena for Round 2. Familiarity should be a positive. We’re still playing a smothering defense and I believe Cory, Armoni, Galen, Fabian, Nate and Breaon will step up because they have done it all season long.

2 Likes

This feels like a game where Chris Harris will step up and contribute, particularly defensively. Also, Armoni typically follows up an invisible game with a hot shooting game. He is definitely a streak shooter, and was definitely cold against Georgia State.

5 Likes

This game right here tonight is what the Michigan game last year was good for.

4 Likes

Conspiracy theorists unite!! The refs are out to screw us. We need to play our best game to win and make our own miracle shots (and a couple of free throws along the way.)

1 Like

We’re not saying that literally was the case but did you watch the last few minutes of that game? A 5-point point play at the most opportune time for them? (I have never seen a 5-point play in basketball before, until then) It was like if we sneezed in the vicinity of a Michigan player, it was called a foul. It should not have even come down to the Devin Davis free throws. But anyways, I just hope we blow out Ohio State today and situations like that are a moot point.

4 Likes

I think the seasons mantra will play out. As one member struggles another will come in and take up the slack. But hopefully that won’t be necessary and Corey keeps his hand hot.

3 Likes

Hardly, he had those three quick fouls and coach put him on the pine…but still hoping Armoni will shoot lights out the rest of the way…

1 Like

Brooks is a rhythm shooter. It comes and goes, but at any point we have a sniper who can explode during any stretch and carry the team.

My fear is that Brady gets called for 2 quick fouls holding his ground against the big boy.

I feel really good about the matchup in the middle if Brady is allowed to play big minutes as our banger and we are allowed to come off the bench with Gresham and Harris for stretches and maybe slide White down when Wesson sits.

4 Likes

Brady and foul trouble.

2 Likes

Will be looking at Fabian White and his jump shot. If he hits them then we will be in great shape

3 Likes

Agree about White. When he plays well it opens the court up for our guards. Same with Brady.