Blake Gideon joins Ole Miss

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1206014355969658881?s=20

Great coach. Will be missed. Hope you look back at your time on Cullen Blvd positively.
This happens when you have quality assistants who do great jobs.
#reload

Tough loss. Probably the best asst coach we had on staff, and of course, now gone.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/1206024185467637761

2 Likes

Why did he leave? Money? What did Ole Miss offer that we couldn’t match other than SEC affiliation?

One monkey don’t stop no show

6 Likes

Coach did say that at the beginning of the year he would leave after soon

1 Like

That position is for Tony Levine. I want that guy back!

4 Likes

Bring back Levine!

2 Likes

Good coach, no doubt, but the guy replacing him was a ST coordinator in the Big 12 for several years and coached linebackers, which shouldn’t be all that different from coaching 4-2-5 nickels. I would guess Gideon was hired in large measure for recruiting. He played his HS ball in Central Texas, went to UT, and played in the NFL. I doubt he was considered a special teams guru in his three years at Western Carolina and Georgia State. Ole Miss will be his fourth school in five years. I guess… Must be tough to be a college coach. I can’t imagine moving to a new state and hauling a family along with me pretty much every year, but to each his own.

2 Likes

Had an opportunity to play golf with Coach Gideon and his wife over the summer. She is a player. Good people. Hate to see them move on, but that is the way it goes. Onward and upward. Go Coogs.

2 Likes

I could deal with it for what is probably $100K raise per year each time.

2 Likes

I think they get used to it. Because I damn sure wouldn’t do it. There are about 30 states I wouldn’t live in under any condition.

2 Likes

I find it interesting that he is hitching his horse to the Lane Train. Unless it is a substantial bump, then I may have stayed in state and strengthened recruiting ties through UH. You can’t quantify the benefit as you move up the coaching ranks.

1 Like