BLUE BON BOWL

I Can’t get to the AUBURN BOWL GAME SO I’LL START
ANOTHER TOPIC.
I HAD LUNCH WITH CUSTOMER ON DAY BEFORE AUB
GAME. IN AST DOME. VOSS CALLED AND SAID HIS OLD
NEXT DOOR NEIHBOR WAS IN TOWN FOR BL. BON BOWL
AND DID I MIND HIM JOINING US. I SAID NO SO THE THREE
OF US HAD LUNCH. HE WAS A RABED AUBURN FAN. AND
KNEW EVERY PLAYER AND THE POINT SPREAD. HE WANTED TO BET 100 AND GIVE ME A LITTLE LESS THAN
THE P. SPREAD. HE WENT ON & ON DURING LUNCH.
OF COURSE 100 WAS WAY OUT OF MY LIFE STYLE. HE
PUSHED ON AND ON I FINALLY SAID OK BUT FOR 20 ,NOT
100.HE SAID OK. BUT VOSS WAS TO HOLD THE MONEY
AS HE WOULD BE LEAVING MON EVE. VOSS WAS ALA
ALUM SO HE JUST LAUGHED AT US. YOUALL KNOW
WHAT HAPPENED AS WE BEAT THE SOCKS OFF OF
THEM. HE LEFT SUNDAY NIGHT AS HE WAS UPSET
(LOL) VOSS SAID. LITTLE OLD UH BEATING SEC CONF
TEAM LIKE AUB. AH SUCH MEMORIES.

7 Likes

Me and my boy were in Birmingham for the bowl game, a few years ago, and we walked to the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame. We were wearing our Cougar gear, and a guy in the museum started talking to us. I commented that we had lost to Alabama about a dozen times, but that we had beaten the snot out of Auburn, the only time we played. Guy didn’t believe me!

1 Like

Auburn did cost us an unbeaten season in 73 (?) . They beat us 7-0, unfortunately.

1 Like

It looks like we are 1-5 v Auburn and 0-10 v Alabama

1 Like

Oh, hell. I didn’t know we’d played them all those times. I stand corrected. Old boy didn’t believe we’d ever beaten them, so hard cheese, anyway.

In 73 we beat them everywhere but on the scoreboard. Had trouble pushing it in from the red zone. Dropped a sure walk-in touchdown. And this was at Jordan Hare Stadium.

That was the second team that was as good as anyone in the country by the end of the season.

1 Like

The 1973 team is an overlooked team in UH history with the 7-0 loss at Auburn the only blemish.
Same with the '69 squad, which was preseason ranked No. 1 in nation by none other than Playboy Magazine, which at the time was quite credible in its annual preseason football poll.
The '69 Cougars, quarterbacked by Gary Mullins, lost their first two games before winning their final nine, including a 36-7 demolishing of Auburn in the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl in the Harris County Domed Stadium (Astrodome).
Opened with road losses to Florida 59-34 and Okie State 24-18. The win streak started with a 74-0 thrashing of Miss. St. That’s when Mullins took over at QB. Other wins that '69 season came over Ole Miss, Miami, Fla., and Florida State. Elmo Wright was on the '69 team.
On a side note, UH’s highest ranking in football is No. 2 nationally after the third week of the 1967 season behind USC following a 50-6 trouncing of Wake Forest, a game after making national news by blitzing Michigan State 37-7.
After beating Wake Forest, Houston dropped in the polls with a 16-6 home loss to North Carolina State.

And I was there on the sideline about 30 yards from the sure touchdown dropped pass (by Quickdraw as I recall).

2 Likes

And I was in HS, and my parents took me to that game. I rocked a UH tearaway jersey, and had a great time. Tremendous atmosphere and a game we coulda, shoulda…

originalcoog57. Yes McGraw dropped it.

Chroniclewriter. You had to remind me of the NC State football loss. I still don’t understand how we lost that game. Maybe it is just NC State’s fate to spoil things for us.

Coach Yeoman said we couldn’t beat Bama because the refs made sure it stay that way!

We were 15 yards from beating them in 2007. I think they canceled their return game with us after that almost loss.