BOOM! Pez receives a contract extension

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/1451932014509240323?s=20

11 Likes

I hate when salary info is just publicly shared like this, but he is definitely a great asset to our athletics. He clearly wants to be here and build UH athletics

9 Likes

I get what you’re saying but since he’s a public employee, his pay is available to the public.

8 Likes

I hate that UT’s head coach is always the highest paid state employee…

2 Likes

We need Pez to carry us through our transition into the Big 12. Lots of issues-divisions, schedules, playoff, championship games and future OOC opponents. There will also be challenges re: marketing in new conference. Continuity has been a challenge for us but now we may have someone who wants to be here and will be well paid

9 Likes

By January 2026, Pez will have completed 8 full years at UH.

I believe that’s longer than Mack Rhoades and Dave Maggard. I believe that would be the 2nd longest AD tenure behind Harry Fouke.

5 Likes

Happy to see him get the contract extension.

4 Likes

The more alums running departments the better as far as I’m concerned… Great work Pez!

6 Likes

Do you hate it because of how much he is paid? It seems like a lot. I would like to understand the justification for the raise. I don’t mind it if it is based on results.

That’s the trifecta – Astros, Tillman, and now Pez! I am happy to have Pez for the long haul.

6 Likes

Maybe the market?

" The average pay for a Big 12 athletic director including bonuses, according to data compiled by USA Today and analyzed by ADU, is $1.3 million. The Big 10 is second at $1.1 million, the ACC third at $1.033 million, followed by the SEC at $1.03 million. The Pac12 is the only Power 5 conference with an average of fewer than seven figures, coming in at almost $840,000 per AD."

2 Likes

Congratulations to Pez. He has done a terrific job for us, and truly bleeds Cougar Red.
We couldn’t have a better Advocate…

We finally have all of the stars aligned in our favor, and our ship is captained by winners.

3 Likes

I had no idea he had a contract. Good information.

What has he done to deserve this? I know what the athletic department has done but what has he done specifically?

…an No…the Big 12 fell in our lap and the Final Four was Sampson.

1 Like

Glad to read of this.

If you think the final four got us in big 12 then I am not sure what to tell you. What got us in big 12 was Renu Khator and Tillman’s meticulous planning and investments including willing to pay Dana 4M with enough political backing all being lined up for years for this moment.

5 Likes

I don’t think the Final Four got us into the Big 12 at all and think Pez had nothing to do with us getting to the Final Four

Also, as you mentioned, Pez has nothing to do with our Big 12 invite - that was Khator and Fertitta

1 Like

The Big 12 invite was Khator and Fertitta.

2 Likes

Any collegiate sport at UH falls under him. So with the success of Track and Field, Basketball, Golf, etc all sports have a play in it. As much as you dont like it that is how it works.

1 Like

Now he has the authority to fire Dana