BYU

Nope, each school gets $8mil

1 Like

BYU is considered P5 by the P5 conferences when it comes to scheduling. Plus BYU meats all the P5 metrics moreso then most P5 schools.

No, there is an official designation for the so-called Power schools - ‘autonomous conferences’ plus ND. BYU is not a power school. BYU does not get paid by TV as a Power school either. Does BYU have a strong brand? Sure, but most conferences that I know of do not consider BYU even a quasi-power school.

Not taking shots, wish this whole Power bs didn’t exist in CFB. It is in my opinion ruining CFB. Join the AAC and all boats rise, or whatever that saying

Tried googling it, but their espn contract isn’t public.

Yep, It’s not public…whether it is 8mil or 12mil, it definitely is not $30+mil, which is why they are just as desperate as we are to get into a power conference

When we schedule BYU, we definitely do NOT count BYU as a P5 opponent. We count them as a very good G5/Independent program to.add to our schedule.

Brigham Young University-Provo
Provo, Utah

Level 4-year or above
Control Private not-for-profit
Student Population (Fall 2017) 34,334

Classification Category
Basic Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity

Sorry but UH is Very High Research University which is one level higher than BYU. Score that a miss on academics

1 Like

We have way more options than BYU.

We could go PAC, ACC, or B12.

I would only put the SEC and B1G 10 in very doubtful categories.

BYU has FOUR very doubtful.

This is not a rag-on-BYU thread, this a convince BYU to join the AAC thread. And I always appreciate playing them, it should be an annual game. I do think BYU should have every right to contend for a CFP spot just as any other CFB school and I think it is the death of CFB when BYU and other schools such as ours, with history in the sport, are being marginalized.

1 Like

‘A rising tide lifts all boats’ - that’s the phrase I was thinking of lol

I realize BYU isn’t an official g5 bc y’all aren’t in one of the group of conferences but like digitx mentioned BYU isn’t in a p5 with the auto bid and $$ so BYU isn’t a p5 either. Your an independent without p5 status like ND.ND is only given a pass bc of their fan base, history and their schedule is usually tough and if they lose 1 or 2 they could still get a bcs bowl. No one knows what to do with BYU bc you have a good brand and fan base and are generally good but the powers would rather you join a conference so we know how to label you. Like mentioned here, the powers don’t want to give up 2 spots to non p5s bc it hurts the p5s. The deal was made to give the g of 5 1 spot so we would be somewhat satisfied. BYU is on an island and we don’t know what to do with you. We’d love for you to join the AAC which is getting better each yr and you could help. Them labeling you as a p5 game in scheduling helps them more than you. Reason for so much resistance in allowing BYU a bid in most yrs like ND is that then you’d have UT , etc waning to go Indy for a better auto bid shot then they run out of bcs bowls for other p5s.

If a P5 does invite BYU, they do not have to worry about a conference exit fee which is $10 million in the AAC.

AAC would take BYU in a nanosecond.

4 Likes

B1G ain’t happening either.

BYU is not AAU, they are not a public flagship, and they are neither within, nor immediately adjacent to, the B1G’s existing geographic footprint.

If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times, that’s what you need to be in order to get a B1G invite. That has ALWAYS been the case with B1G expansion.

Hell, BYU not only isn’t AAU, it’s not even a Tier One research university by Carnegie Foundation metrics.

In other words, academically speaking, BYU is nowhere close to B1G standards.

Even the PAC-12 would be a better fit.

1 Like

Yeah, but the bowls you will get is middle to lower tier P5 and Uppertier to lower tier G5. You won’t get any access games. And you guys are OK with that??? That is similar to some G5s saying they just “want to be in the argument”…again, who cares about pointless banter??? You have to get there that is the important thing. I don’t care for pats on the back and being told: Good Boy.

BYU’s kind of in the same spot as Liberty, in the sense that no conference at the level they’re trying to play will take them, so they’re trying to just do the dang thing themselves as an independent. No P5 is going to take BYU, and no FBS conference will take Liberty, for fairly not-dissimilar reasons.

The key difference, however, is that BYU is a real school that people take at least a little bit seriously.

So Liberty University located in central Virginia with its 7,000+ acres, 6.6 million square feet of buildings, 380+ buildings & structures and 100,000+ students from all 50 states and over 70 countries isn’t real? Really?

Personally, I think we could see Liberty University blow right by BYU in the next decade or so.

1 Like

One thing about Liberty, they are pouring a lot of money into their athletic facilities. They just opened their football operations center and have a indoor football practice facility. I’m quite impressed.

2 Likes

Are you saying those folks at Liberty U aren’t just sitting back watching things happen? :wink:

2 Likes

I dunno man!

In my last assignment before I retired from the service, the Chief of Strategy for US Army Pacific (a full bird Colonel) was a Liberty U. Grad.

For that matter, so was one of my Lieutenants when I was a Company Commander. Today, he’s a Baptist minister in Cypress.