BYU

They are not. But they also are not a UMass, UConn or NM State type independent, either.

They are, as an independent, analogous to the AAC: They are somewhere in-between. They have a legitimate history, but not as much as some longer-established programs (especially compared to ND). They absolutely in terms of facilities are comparable to the top tier of college athletics. They absolutely aspire to the highest level in terms of competition and budget as they possibly can responsibly achieve.

Ultimately (non-playoff) major $ bowl access is the advantage that they gain from joining the AAC as a football-only member.

1 Like

I like watching byu play. They always seem fundamentally sound. They should join the aac.

2 Likes

ND is considered a p5 where as BYU is considered a group of 5. The playoff committee treats BYU like us which says it all so BYU should just realize this and help make the AAC a p5.

2 Likes

The big 10 considers BYU a P5 for scheduling.

2 Likes

I believe your latest media deal is on par with the AAC’s latest deal. But of course BYU brings the brand, no doubt

1 Like

So was UConn if that tells you anything. Just a way to get around scheduling rules

3 Likes

True For scheduling but where it counts in $ espn pays them , they are just like us. ND is paid like a p5 with their tv contract as well as being regarded p5 by all metrics. BYU is paid like a G5 and is in the G5 grouping meaning they have to go undefeated with an awesome schedule to even have a chance. If ND goes undefeated or close, they are given more credibility. I think BYU should just join us and see how it works in making the AAC close or a p6 or make it to where our champ always gets the bcs bid if they were with us.

I head on ESPN that Cinci is trying schedule BYU this year. I hope they don’t do it, would not help Cinci go any higher but could put BYU in NY6. As it is, Cinci is a lock for NY6. If ND beats Clemson again, and A&M and Florida lose, this might be a year they say yes to P6.

1 Like

BYU can only make a NY6 Bowl as an At-Large Selection. They will NEVER get an automatic bid.

Cincinnati can go play BYU, lose to BYU , and still get the Automatic NY6 G5 spot provided that they are the highest ranked G5 Conference Champion.

BYU has a 0.0000000000000000000000000% chance of this…of ever being an Automatic Bid…

On the flip side the AAC, theoretically, could produce TWO NY6 participants. An Automatic + an At-Large or a Playoff participant + a NY6 At large.

BYU remaining a stubborn Independent reinforces they are currently viewed as a G5 Independent which only hurts BYU on BOTH sides of the equation.

And let’s be honest the ONLY P5 Conference that would ever take BYU would be the Big 12 and they just said “Thanks, but NO THANKS!”. (Have BYU fans forgotten this dog and pony show ALREADY…it was very recent??)

The PAC would NEVER take a Mormon flagship school…a less serious religious-affiliated school like SMU, there is a glimmer of hope. A serious religious institution like BYU- N-E-V-E-R.

They view what BYU teaches and what they make their student athletes do as a regression in civilization…it is just the reality of their thought process.

Why not join the AAC, elevate it to P6 status and wreck shop! I don’t understand why BYU is being so stubborn when most of their obstacles standing in front of them are of their own design.

3 Likes

This above post tells me Byu should join the AAC. Very informative post on why they should.

2 Likes

If (big if) the playoffs expand with a G5 spot and no expansion, I think that would change their tune

1 Like

But the serious question is:
Which P5 are they waiting for a legitimate invite from?

Big12- Most realistic spot but they just turned them down!

PAC- NEVER because of their radical religious affiliation.

B1G 10- I don’t see this happening

ACC- BYU is too far West geographically.

SEC- Again too far East and I doubt the Bible Belt evangelicals would ever invite a Mormon school IF it were closer anyway.

Seriously, BYU—Which Power 5 Conference are you waiting on??

The AAC is a pretty good option honestly…many good programs, good national exposure, would make a STRONG argument for a Power 6 Conference (It is strong right now without BYY!)

2 Likes

The same P5 invite we’re waiting for…lol!

4 Likes

But yes, exactly my point

Looks like they’re content at making more money at the expense of not having G5 access to the NY6 bowls. Going off memory, they’re making around $12MM per year vs the AAC’s $7-8MM.

1 Like

7 million Mormons in the US beg to differ.

I saw that their agreement was in the $8mil/yr range, similar to ours. Have not seen anything above that, but not disputing your $12mil figure. Boise St is supposed to make similar money also with the added money from the MWC

Top25, BYU isn’t G5 either. We’re basically a quasi-P5 without the official P5 designation.

You guys are not G5, as in a member of one of those conferences, true…but you’re also not P5 or quasi-P5, according to the $. Officially, ND is considered one of the Power schools, or ‘autonomous school’, the only independent to be considered a Power school

2 Likes

The difference is that each AAC school is having to split the money, whereas BYU keeps the full $8mm plus the full bowl payout.