Can the Briles O be as effective when slowed?

We have explosive players on the O and they can make plays even if UH slows down the O to protect the D. No one is wanting to be slow and predictable but I still like what I saw in 2015 and 2016 season.

Go and watch the games against Florida St., Oklahoma and Louisville.
The commentators throughout those games would mention how UH sped up for several series. Then slow down for several series. This was the O protecting Orlando’s D. It allowed a very talented group of players to not get completely worn out, especially in the 2nd half.

With the explosiveness of the O and the plays called, UH can score on anyone. But if UH wears out the UH D, by the 4th quarter anyone can score on UH. The OU’s, WSU’s, UCF’s, Cincinnati’s, and a few others on the 2019 schedule will own UH in the 4th quarter. See this years Tech/UH game or the Memphis game.

What I am not looking forward to is come Sept. seeing UH lose games like Tech did in 2014 against TCU 82-27 or 55-52 in 2015. Or in 2015 losing to OU 63-27, to Oklahoma St 70-53, Baylor 63-35 and LSU 56-27. In 2016 Tech lost to Arizona St 68-55, Kansas St 44-38, WVU 48-17, OU 66-59, UT 45-37, OSU 45-44 and to Iowa St by 66-10.

If UH has that kind of season next year it might take years for the team to recover. UH needs to not be the next Kliff Kingsbury Texas Tech but be a Herman type team that knows when to speed and when to break on the curves.

Of course with a new better offensive engine built and maintained by Briles.

Easy answer… defense can respond with a 3 and out. And if the other team is going at a slower pace, our D should be more rested. Time to catch breath between plays and time to substitute. Defense just cant allow a 10+ play drive after a 3 and out which is what kept happening

Let’s try to score less