Can the Briles O be as effective when slowed?

I love the Briles O. Along with Leach and Chip Kelly I think those are the Top 3 offenses in CFB.
Could it be more effective if we slowed it down some?
We tend to get lots of pre-snap penalties: illegal formation, motion, ineligible receiver (because the end is covered). I know it has to do with discipline. But it might be the O trying to go too fast.

It would also help the D catch their breath. Many of these penalties have been drive killers.

Babers runs a Briles O at Syracuse but it seems more controlled.

We can score just as fast, and it might help reduce 3&Outs…

Thoughts?

1 Like

You absolutely cannot let the opponent substitute. That’s as much a component of the Briles system as five receivers or no playbook. People forget our offense tires the bad guys too.
If you can slow it but still keep the bad guys off the field then yes.

And, yes, you’re right. Briles offenses are known for slipshod penalties. (Art’s AND Kendal’s).

1 Like

You can keep the opponents from subbing by going no huddle; but you don’t have to snap the ball. It give the QB a chance to survey rhe field and settle down into what he needs to do. When you hurry too much, it creates confusion on the offense as well and seems to cause more illegal proceure, illegal shift, too many in backfield, on the line, covered end, etc.

2 Likes

I agree. But Kendal knows all that too.
He runs at his Dad’s pace. There’s a reason for it. I guess he thinks keeping the secondary hopping around works to his benefit.

I support what works. Right now it works for him but not our D.
This is definitely one for CMA’s shoulders.

The offense can be a bit slower and still be as effective. Would do wonders in helping the D.

1 Like

Remember, this is only the 1st year running the offense at Houston this time around. There were bound to be mistakes and issues as everyone is still getting used to the system and the right players are in there to run it properly. As good as it was this season, having almost the entire offense back with continuity should only make it better.

King will feel more comfortable in his reads and calls. The receivers should feel more comfortable with their assignments. The line should feel more comfortable getting coached the same way for two consecutive years.

Art was 4-8, 4-8, 7-6, 10-3, and 8-5 before having Baylor in the national title discussion. Kendal lost his first 3 FBS games at FAU before they ran off 10 straight wins. That offense can have instant impact, but it needs guys that know the system to run it at its peak.

4 Likes

I think it can absolutely be effective, but the ability to turn it up and really put pressure on the defense is tremendously valuable. Being able to eat clock is just as important as being able to bury a team with quick points.

I think it’s can be when we’re quickly going 3 and out on two or more consecutive positions. There has to be a time where the coaches try to get a long look at the opposing defense before snapping it. As far as it affecting our defense, that’s on the S&C coach, ad nauseam. If you wanna play defense on this team, you better be able to run and tackle for the entire game. That needs to be the message.

It’s simple…score when you can and as quickly as you can. No guarantee a slower offense will be effective.

Point, points, points!!!

Recruit more D depth.

2 Likes

Our 1989 Team scored tons of points, and fairly quickly.

Jack Pardee had a very good defense in 1989.

It can be done.

2 Likes

Depth is weighted. We need more than just bodies with skill. We need to “develop” depth. That means if a starter goes down, the 2nd guy isn’t going to quit playing hard in the 3rd quarter because he’s tired. You can have 50 defensive linemen and if only one plays hard for 4 quarters (hypothetically), would said team be deep at that particular position?

1 Like

I think it becomes a disadvantage at some point. The offense and the defense have got to WORK TOGETHER. Going as fast as you can many times leads to 3 and outs and at warp speed, this puts your defense at a bind. I absolutely think its critical to work on a balance…we MUST evolve. Perhaps have FAST situations and SLOWER situations.

Let me leave you with this…who here remembers the infamous Buffalo Bills 35-3 third quarter comeback over the Houston Oilers? Our offense completely helped them out. We continued to run our run and shoot sling the ball all over the field (in-completions stop the clock). Had we understood that when we were on offense we can run the ball and take up as much of the clock as possible, it would be extremely difficult for a team to make up 4 touchdowns. Well, we didn’t and we gave the Bills opportunities to catch up. Its simple math.

We need to evolve the Briles offense to complement the Defense not work against it. (i.e. winded UH defensive players in the Texas Tech game with very little depth behind the starters)

Yup. Especially if you haven’t cracked their defense going warp speed cough SMU cough.

Try taking a longer look.

1 Like

I think you’re on to something. Most coordinators are cocky and consider it a challenge. But 8 games into the season and limping it sure would be nice to sit for 10 minutes a quarter.

Thanks for the support guys. Brought this up during the season, got no support, you would have thought I was Joan of ark. By the way, I saw the spot where she was burned last summer. Yes there was room for two!

Coach Pardee’s teams were ahead of their time. Defenses weren’t built to stop spread offense like they are now.

Do you remember in the 2005 season when we opened against Oregon? Oregon had a decent drive but punted, we scored in a couple of plays. Oregon had another fairly long but fruitless drive, we scored in a couple of plays and this scenario repeated itself. After that our defense was gassed from being on the field almost the whole half and Oregon owned us winning 38-24 after we were up 21-0 I think. They shut down our high powered O and our D was done for.

You have to be able to have long drives to help your D from time to time unless you score every time you get the ball. That doesn’t happen often – especially against the better teams.

Coach Pardee’s D had Lathon, Montgomery, Thornton, ogelsby & Jackson to name a few & coached by the fabulous Jim Eddy! That caliber of players makes for great D!

No quitters in that group and several went on to be successful in the NFL. Time will tell.

Yes this offense can be successful at a slower pace. It’s the QB reading the defense and seeing who should be open and if not then go thru the progressions. It’s sophisticated but not rocket science.