Can you turn from the middle lane?

In this situations, can you turn left from the middle lane or is the left turn lane protected?

i would say only the marked left lane. they should have the lane next to it marked someway

1 Like

No. Left lane is turn only, middle 2 lanes are strait only, and right lane is right turn.

2 Likes

I could

Yes you can. Now it may not be legal but you certainly can.

3 Likes

How about when there’s a long line in the left lane and you zoom to the front and turn from the middle?

1 Like

If theres no sign on the side and no sign at the bottom and one right infront that has a turn then its up for interpretation.

Hell yeah! Lines are for suckers. You snooze you lose.

Also need to take into account the historical practices of the area.

Take my street for instance, it had yield signs at the end of the block instead of stop signs for the first 17 years I lived here. I have a hard time conforming to these new stop signs they “just” installed a few years ago. I still believe the City should have trusted its gut and stuck with the yield sign. Changing their mind to a stop sign was a mistake that they’ll regret.

I still follow the traditional yield, not the new-fangled stop sign.

Can you? Yes, but make sure you don’t get caught.

1 Like

No you can’t turn from that middle lane. You can’t turn left from any lane not the far left lane unless it is marked as such. You can’t turn right from any lane not the far right lane unless it is marked as such.

“Get caught”? There are not traffic cops anymore in Houston. The suburbs? Maybe but in Houston since COVID traffic has become a free-for-all

We should bring back traffic cops just to pull over people who don’t comply with the “left lane for passing only” state law.

It would improve traffic and reduce road rage shootings.

But seriously, I wonder what impact the lack of traffic cops has had on both traffic flow and on freeway deaths?

There should be police cars on the interstate and all they do is drive up and down the highway at 95 mph in the left lane. If they come up on someone in the left lane, they turn on their lights to get people to move over.

Oh, and I think I might be in favor of replacing the citizenship test with a driving test.

1 Like

Thank you! How do we turn these ideas into law?

Personally I enjoy driving in Mexico. Drivers on the highways are better than US drivers, and driving on city streets is fun and exciting. Better than coffee!

The Startling Numbers

The rate of car accidents in Houston paints a concerning picture. In 2022, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reported over 67,000 traffic accidents in the city, which breaks down to about 185 accidents per day or 7.7 accidents every hour. This number is alarmingly high, especially considering that Houston is home to 8% of Texas’s population but accounts for 16% of the state’s car accidents.

Trends in Fatalities and Injuries

The trends are equally troubling when examining the data for fatal accidents in Houston. According to TxDOT data, 326 traffic fatalities occurred in the city in 2022, a significant increase from the 272 deaths that occurred in 2020. This rise in fatal accidents is a stark reminder of the risks on the road. Plus, the fatality rate in Houston, at 14.2 deaths per 100,000 residents, surpasses the national average of 12.9 deaths per 100,000 people, highlighting the city’s road safety challenges.

Causes of Car Accidents

Understanding the reasons behind these accidents is the first step in preventing them. Common causes of car crashes in Houston include failure to yield, unsafe speed, and distracted driving. Speeding, a leading factor in urban crashes, reduces a driver’s reaction time and increases the severity of crashes. Alcohol-impaired driving remains a significant issue as well, with Houston recording 2,355 drunk driving crashes in 2022

Non licensed, non insured is what’s costing the average driver.

Say what?

Come again?

1 Like