Cfp is on the verge of going to14 schools or...the big10 and sec to secede?

50 schools spread out across the country is broad coverage.

By comparison, the Major league sports only have 30 +/- spread out across the country and that works.

They’d rather have P2 vs P2 matchups instead of P2 vs non P2 and once the recruits catch on, the best players will end up in the P2 strengthing those 50 squads

Schools below that will be the minor leagues

1 Like

P2. LOL. Minor league football. That works whenever it is tried.

2 Likes

Monopoly

2 Likes

Not going to lie, our best hope is accepting this model and remaining the 3rd/4th strongest conference for the next few years.

This will buy time for UH to really build itself, and be in good position to join the final 64 that will inevitably be the NFL Version of College Football.

Just win baby

3 Likes

They dont HAVE 50 schools, they have 34…and that isnt enough to monopolize anything…Big 12 and ACC have 33 schools, 34 if you count Notre Dame.

2 Likes

Gluttony by the Big Ten and SEC Would Be Catastrophic for College Sports (msn.com)

1 Like

Excellent article and the writer is asking the same questions that we/I/have everyone should have. Read between the lines friends:
"But here’s the question: When does the appeasement game end with these two gluttons? When do they stop asking for more? When do they stop bullying the rest of college athletics into acquiescence?:
He also point out the part that should have every college football fan worried:
"Don’t think those two aren’t discussing it. This was strangely tucked into the 19th paragraph of this ESPN.com story Wednesday night: “One high-ranking official involved in the discussions told ESPN on Wednesday that the presidents and chancellors in both the SEC and Big Ten are having conversations about whether to continue their NCAA membership. It’s a move that would impact and could possibly derail the TV agreement.
ESPN quoted the same source saying: “Those conversations are happening,” adding some feel “pretty strongly about pulling away. I’d say very strongly.”
Monte I love your optimism but this last paragraph was not put in by espn just to get our attention.
espn and 99% of their pundits did two things in the last ten years:

1. The five power conferences should dictate the bcs and the cfp.
    Take a pause for a moment and remember how the same espn/pundits forced fed us this narrative.
  2. espn has GRADUALLY evolved their p5’s “brain wash” message to a p2 message.
    This is no accident. Here is why. These are facts that are pointing for the p2 to secede.
    espn tried to kill the BIG12. Both schools that are now in the sec always expected for the BIG12 to implode like the SWC. At the same time or shortly thereafter the big10 decided to expand West. Does anybody think the big10 expanding West was to gain frequent flyer miles?
    Of course not and what did that do?
    It killed the PAC12.
    Killing the PAC12 means what?
    Media money will go elsewhere.
    Now we have FSU and four to six others wanting to leave the acc…
    Didn’t we see this movie before?
    Actually we have seen it twice already. mad cows u located in Austin killed the SWC. The same school tried to kill the BIG12. If it were not for Bolwsby having “dirt” on espn and manure U to kill the BIG12 we would still be in the aac.
    Why would FSU want to leave the acc and who owns the media rights to the acc?
    espn.
    You understand now the “getting bigger” by the power of subtraction?
    This will be for espn one less mouth to feed.
    Remember that the acc media deal can be redone after…2027.
    Let say the acc implodes. Where will these six to eight schools go to? The big and sec will cherry pick just like they did previously.
    Now you have three power conferences with the BIG12 trying to stay alive. If you thought having a cfp with 12,14 schools was tough now let me ask you this question.
    What kind of arm wrestling play do you think the big10 and sec will have?
    Remember by then the acc and its media contract is history.
    At this time we will have the p2’s saying we are what people want therefore we want to create our own league/playoff. Another stark reminder is that the ncaa is supposed to defend all universities. How is that working out?
5 Likes

Right one and this is key…Always has been.

Nobody is going to “SECEDE “….:joy:

Where are they going? How many people want to watch nothing but SEC/Big football?

Not many.

And as for other sports? They are not worthy….

This new playoff proposal leans to them by one team….who cares….guaranteed three SEC teams will be deserving every year….so maybe one Big team gets in a year that maybe is not truly worthy….big deal.

We get TWO teams in GUARANTEED……and can always get another if worthy.

UH and the rest of the BIG 12 have a better chance of playoffs/NC than at any other time.

I will take that 14 team playoff all day long.

All of this sky is falling is just stupid.
A year ago we were in the outhouse….now we are in the main house….maybe not in the Presidential Suite but we get to eat the cake with the sweet frosting.

5 Likes

I was listening to Dennis Dodd on 365 he said he was told the B1G/SEC could double there money by leaving the current structure and strike out on there own. That’s about $180- $200m per team folks. That’s a lot of lettuce. It’s coming maybe not this round it’s coming too much money for them to pass up.u

“He was told”

I don’t take much stock in that….

And if someone said that, then they needs show me something concrete that shows exactly where all that money is coming from and how.

This has absolutely nothing against you BigCP…please don’t take it that way….

1 Like

I don’t…I look at it this way if media folks are willing to pay this type money to the BG/SEC it means B12 is way undervalued which means it due a raise to. One thing that people watch live is sport and the media folks are trying to lock down as much as possible. Hence you got Apple willing to promote MLS like the NFL to make it a viable sport here in the U.S…People need to understand the B12 and ACC are not going any where. But they will never have the resources of the P2, unless someone gets smart and brave and get the Saudis involved with there sports fund which would level the field monetarily imo. This is AFL vs NFL all over again on the CFB level

34 isn’t enough to satisfy the masses.

The B1G and SEC will each expand to 24 each which may/may not include ND and BYU as P2 level Independents.

As we’ve seen P2 expansion take place over the last 2 decades, there have been different things driving the additions.

First it was market coverage, then brand value, then brand value in strategic geographic locations that will join for a discount but the final 14 adds will be a combination of that PLUS geographic strategically placed schools to get broad coverage across the US.

These schools may not be P2 worthy today but their location is desired plus it gets them in the mix to prevent resistance. 50 schools should be enough for a Top Tier of College Athletics…34 is not because you’d still have some big flagship schools possibly suing.

If they get to 50, which schools on the outside looking in have enough clout to challenge that?

None, really! It can easily be proven they are NOT P2 worthy to resist.

This is good news for UH IF…IF…IF…the B1G wants a school strategically located in Texas!

1 Like

Dodd said whats drivng consolidation is the P2 are locking up the rivalry games…UT vs OU, UCLA vs USC etc games the have shown historically to make good television. He’s right. That’s not much out there on the landscape that does that now. There all taken. UNC vs UVA who cares. From what he said on 365 FSU may get free where there going to go. Sounds of it media partners are not interested in paying for them a full share. Maybe the B12 is where they find a home, he said

They will drag Big XII along just as a legal buffer against any Congressional challenge. Look at the 10 schools the Big has added beyond the OG 12. All are either A)Flagships and/or a large school in Major Metro. Even if they expand to 24 each, Big XII will stand as that middle class buffer.

1 Like

The P2 will raid the Big 12 and ACC so the only schools left are those that don’t have the power to fight back.

There are 14 spots and these are the possible P2 candidates

Notre Dame (Independent)
BYU (Independent)

North Carolina
Florida State
Virginia
Clemson
Kansas
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
A Texas School- UH/TCU/ TT
North Carolina State
Virgina Tech
Georgia Tech
Miami/PITT/ Louisville/Cincinnati
West Virginia.

THAT will give the P2 Broad Geographic Coverage and satisfy the masses.

1 Like

Don’t accept $hit. Press the NCAA to step up and run a football playoff like EVERY OTHER SPORT. Every single conference should get its title winner the the playoffs. Until that happens it’s all BS.

Stop giving the SEC and B10 such a big advantage and they will regress to the mean like EVERY OTHER SPORT where every team has a chance to win a national title at the beginning of the season.

CFB has always been rigged. It’s time to end this.

I’m about over college football completely due to the continuing lack of balls non P2 schools show in pressing this issue.

3 Likes

Excellent post, ty

1 Like

Youre talking about the P2 expanding and adding 16 schools…Sorry, i dont see it, and i dont think it will happen. Conferences are at their logical limit now…BIG is going to find they created a bunch of logistical problems for themselves by adding all those PAC schools and their membership will NOT be happy about it. After adding OU and Texas, SEC has ZERO reason to expand…Their league has already positioned itself to dominate and win NCs…this isnt the NFL…college football is a regional game…the more diversity, the healthier the game.

1 Like

They’ll do it because they know once they add those final 14 or 16 A) they will have broad geographic coverage + B) will add all schools powerful enough to fight it.

I wasn’t predicting a true break away but I think that’s where we are headed.

A Big 12 + ACC leftover conference full of 2nd and third tier schools in each state will NOT have the cache to excite the masses.

Nobody cares about a Baylor vs Wake Forest Football game, especially with lesser talent on the field.

For the adds, think about when the MLB added the Houston Colt .45s in 1962. Of course that franchise was NOT the brand value of the Yankees/Red Sox/Cubs/Dodgers/Cardinals BUT they wanted broad geographic coverage into Texas.

Now look at that Houston franchise!