Change in Philosophy has UH focusing on defense

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-football-Houston-Cougars-178820419/Amp/

4 Likes

The majority of our draft picks in the last 20 years have been defensive.

3 Likes

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships

9 Likes

Maybe the defensive coaches are better recruiters?

5 Likes

Or maybe Holgy hired the right folks to put a good defense on the field?

4 Likes

Once Yeoman recruited killer defenses he no longer lead the nation in total offense nor scoring. The Veer was dialed back.

Same thing with Dana. A good offense that has no turnovers plus a great defense wins games.

I like it this way since I prefer winning over losing 66-59.

9 Likes

I don’t think he dialed back the veer so much as dialing back the passing. We threw very few passes in 78 and 79 but still ran the veer.

2 Likes

Watch the games. He ran the dive play at a much higher rate and, if optioned, the QB kept it rather than pitching it out.

The pitch man was greatly reduced. Am watching games on YouTube and that is obvious.

1 Like

Okay

1 Like

TucsonCoog–

Many of those dive plays were called dives or called keepers. It cut down on the turnovers by QBs that really weren’t as proficient as Mullins and Davis at the option.

I totally agree, and we still need a really good O-line even if we aren’t scoring 40+ per game.

I remember talking about this in 1976. And Davis was the QB.

My first season was 1966. Lots of turnovers. Lead the Nation in Total Offense in 1967 and 1968, yet lost 5 games. Almost entirely due to turnovers. Sometimes had 7 in one game.

Alois Blackwell crushed it in The Cotton Bowl against Maryland. He was the first option. The Dive Play. The trailing Back-got few pitches.

Glad to see Dana cut down on Turnovers. And create a killer Offense.

Go Dana!

4 Likes

Terrific analysis…