Chip Kelly leaves HC Job to become OC

This is pretty wild and to me, says a lot about the state of college football. Even among the elites there are elites. When a man believes that it is better to be an assistant at OSU than the HC of UCLA, that tells you everything.

3 Likes

From some of the comments I’ve read of UCLA fans, he didn’t want to recruit and didn’t want to meet with alumni. I think it’s a good move for both sides. UCLA fans were losing patience with him.

2 Likes

Moral of the story…DON"T HIRE RETREADS THAT NO LONGER HAVE THE PASSION TO DO THE GRUELING WORK REQUIRED TO BE A COLLEGE HEAD COACH

NEVER HIRE RETREADS!

9 Likes

At least he had the decency to move on. Sounds like he is burnt out. Like someone we had here, who came here for the joyride, but didn’t want to move on.

2 Likes

it’s a different game coaches have to play now.

Old school coaches will get frustrated and burnt out with all the player movement. It takes a new mindset and a willingness to adapt and overcome.

There’s a bit of the changing of the guards when it comes to coaching in todays system.

Willie Fritz seems to thread that needle somehow.

To me this shows that head coach is a completely different job than what it used to be. Old school guys don’t want to deal with NIL and the transfer portal. How much is coaching really involved nowadays. The HC is more of a public figure. If you really want to coach, you’ll need to be an assistant.

1 Like

Man, Kelly is a scum. Wouldn’t want him anywhere on a staff.

1 Like

UCLA has no NIL support. The college game is completely different right now.

2 Likes

That’s a understatement.

2 Likes

yeah it’s nuts

nothing makes any sense and everything just feels so temporary

1 Like

Maybe he couldn’t get the druggy bums camped out off the field so they could practice.

Around the end of the season there were rumors he was about to be fired and somehow he wasn’t and then he pulls this I know UCLA is pissed.

Had they lost the bowl game (and they were trailing), he probably gets fired

Some people tire of executive work. It’s just another position - but you’re still a slave to something. I look at these guys and I would loathe what they have to do. I admire the guy for doing that. He still enjoys football but wants to do it without the BS.

1 Like

Yep. I recall a certain poster saying this exact thing ………:smirk:

He has been a problem since day one. He is a great OC and had some good results with Oregon. Since then he has proven he is not HC material. ucla should be at the very top or close to the top every single season. Don’t buy the “diminishing” California talent. Where are CJ Stroud and Brice Young from? I can add many others. Oh yes they played for which schools? The question that should be asked is why are they playing out of state?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s California. I think it’s the job. So much glad-handing. Some people don’t like doing that for a long time.

I agree… and then with all the NIL stuff now there’s tons of NIL opportunities in a city like LA

Yes tons and tons of politics with the UC system.

Why did Chip Kelly want out of UCLA? Diving into the Bruins’ uphill Big Ten climb

"The Bruins posted a $36.6 million deficit for the 2023 fiscal year, "

most covered already in this thread, but interesting to see how bad things are for ucla athletics given how much cougar athletics are discussed here.

1 Like