Climate for thee but not for me

And while I don’t agree on why I’m not a fan of it, the 2035 plan by newsom is largely political and misguided. I don’t think his successor is going to enjoy implementing or unwinding it in the future.

Surely you know the EU has staked out a similar position and timeline.

The US is not the leader in going greener. Unfortunately we have
to many dinosaur thinkers in the US.

Do you guys remember when California was the first to mandate emission control on cars. And banned non compliant sales? The rest of the US and the world followed suit. We’re the better for it. That’s how I view this EV thing.

1 Like

As to number 2 , perhaps you misunderstood again what Musk said.

Musk said the transition to a sustainable economy should be “as fast as possible,” adding that ocean wind has “massive untapped potential” and that he’s also a proponent of nuclear energy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-29/musk-says-world-needs-more-oil-and-gas-as-bridge-to-renewables

He acknowledges we need it “all” right now.

Yes it’s similar. unfortunately we don’t have the grid to go all electric today.
Oh wait, they are talking about 12+ years from now.

Is that possible in 12 years? I really don’t know, but if you don’t set a target you can never
take aim. Unfortunately we’ve squandered well over a decade “debating” CO2 sources and impact.

1 Like

other poster be aware that the E.U. is facing an unprecedented energy crisis in the upcoming few months.
Be aware that by implementing these renewable policies electricity costs has reached unprecedented levels already. The upcoming fall and Winter could prove to be catastrophic to tens of millions.
You ought to research first what most European economists are currently predicting. You need to educate yourself instead of making gratuitous and generalistic comments.
The German politicians have to admit how stupid, foolish, near sighted, uneducated it was to force these green policies. Many are asking for new nuclear power plants.
Educate yourself first. It does not take long. You have a holiday to do so. Come back to us with what you have learned. When you hear, read about human beings dying and frozen to death you will maybe get a clue.
GOOD DAY.

I’d rather set a target that’s doable. This will be more fodder for the other side once they have to back off it in the future. Gavin won’t have to worry about that though.

1 Like

YOU rtcoog have good judgment. Instead of IMPOSING restrictions YOU understand common sense.

But that has nothing to do with renewables and everything to do with Putin. Is Putin conturing our natural gas and coal somehow?

How do you arrive at the doable timeline ?

1 Like

Did they plan on Russia cutting their gas supplies off 8-12 months ago ?

War has consequences. By not going quicker they find themselves in a dilemma.
And as a result they may have to revert to dirtier forms of energy as a bridge.

Listen to those that understand the process.

The bill below is going to make it even tougher (not sure it was possible even without this added). Not only do they need all EVs, the grid must be 90% renewables. I just don’t see how this is doable.

I was paying an average of nearly $.40/kWh when I moved from CA a couple of months ago. They can’t handle what they got, much less making it far more challenging in the medium term.

Okay, but this doesn’t really address what is doable or in what timeframe.

Guess I’m looking for a detailed plan on how you get there. Where will
the new energy sources( and types) be located , how many miles HVDC lines
need to be built, etc ?

I don’t know if 12 years is enough or not without specifics.

I’m not the expert.

Sometimes there’s nothing wrong with planning ahead.

Who said there was? I want planning.

Nor am I. But the article seems highlight legislation to set things in motion thru investments and streamlining to get to that goal.

It was admitted to be an “extreme ask” which is combined with another extreme ask (EVs by same timeline) in a state where electricity costs $.40/kWh.

Also, the EVs by 2035 isn’t completely new. CA has been talking about that for the last few years.

And we aren’t even talking about building the EV infrastructure which is largely nonexistent right now.

There are so many headwinds for this. I want us to move EVs in the future, it’s the right answer. Throwing out nearly impossible goals will do more harm than good though, IMO.

No one. Dude, with all due coog respect, don’t be so defensive. It was just a general comment about doing things now that will help things in the future.

We are transitioning away from fossil and toward green. It’s happening. It’s not about speed. It’s about acceleration.

If we had planned for double the number of solar panels and wind turbines a decade ago, two decades ago, we’d be polluting a lot less air, water and land right now. Yet, there are those that want to squeeze all the juice they can out of fossils first. Short term? Great! (at least for those that have O&G portfolios). Long term? Not so much.