Closed because of insults and politics --> How the NFL's $100 billion TV deal impacts College Football

One of the most absurd conspiracy theories i have ever read.

4 Likes

How do “narratives” pay the bills and satisfy the stockholders?

1 Like

It’s not a conspiracy theory by any means but ok.

I don’t have a narrative I have an opinion. I also never said I didn’t care about facts nor did I ever dispute the numbers. I said that it’s my belief that the numbers weren’t the primary reason for the raise. Maybe instead of making up things about what I said you should actually read what I said.

If anything the numbers provide a logical excuse to cover for the real reason which is what I’m arguing.

Depends on what the stock holders want. If they are ok with giving money to an organization that supports their views regardless of weather its successful then I’m sure they don’t care. I don’t care what they do personally because it’s their money and they can do with it what they want.

And these people aren’t exactly the kind of people that will ever be hurting for money lets be real. They probably aren’t worried about paying the bills anytime soon.

In fairness if a company is insanely profitable then they can afford to take select actions that may negatively affect the bottom line due to alternative non monetary motivation and yet still make $ just less of it.

1 Like

Yes that’s basically my point. Except with alot less wording.

Other than ratings, another thing the NFL is king of is raising money for charities. Helping members of the military and cancer research are the two biggest “narratives” the league has. They have done some great things for veterans and I support that 100%. Is that un-American?

1 Like

That’s BS

2 Likes

I’ve already referred the matter to the honorable Joe McCarthy v and his committee for UnAmerican Activities

1 Like

I guarantee you that most veterans will remind you that they fought for the right for anyone to kneel during the anthem. Those who served did not fight for a flag but for a country and her ideals.

4 Likes

If you disagree about human rights then yes, you are a bigot.

2 Likes

Your comments and multiple bans speak for itself sir. Our forum staff doesn’t hand out vacations for no reason.

It’s a shame this thread about P5 expansion was hijacked.

This thread has gone way off topic and needs to close.

The great thing about america (and there are a lot of great things about america) is that you can kneel during the national anthem and the government will not punish you. Try to be a dissenter in Hong Kong and see what happens to you. Try being an opposition leader in Russia and see what prison you end up in.

As a country we go through periods of self loathing. This too shall pass and we will grow up and realize for all of our flaws the United States is the greatest country that this planet has ever seen.

You are exactly right The_Coog.
NFL tv contracts are a huge sum of indirect tv revenues for the network that have them. In the industry we call it a lead in program. You might have bad ratings for an NFL game but it will still attract a large audience nationally for a sitcom. Sitcom typically will generate a much higher Nielsen rating following a game. What is becoming more problematic for the major media companies is that people have been disconnecting at a bigger rate. Thus “limiting” the amount of control that these media giants have.
Streaming or “a la carte” streaming is the biggest obstacle for these media giants. This is why I can’t wait to see what amazon, youtube/google and apple next decision will be.

So Amazon kicked a billion dollars a year themselves to have games so I would say it’s pretty clear what direction they are taking, w sizeable bet on the NFL.

Which makes sense of anyone who stays that the NFL isn’t completely dominant in the ratings is pushing a false narrative backed up by nothing. Kind of like if someone says the most successful college football program of the last decade isn’t Alabama is flat wrong.

The cord cutting, fracturing of the 18-49 demographic in the ratings, are all things that would be concerning to me going forward but that’s a next contract issue.