Coach Herman on Dan Patrick Show

Despite our different interpretations, we all love our University. Have lots of respect for coach Herman. One thing I noticed about him, yes he is careful with his words. Yes, we have done everything possible to join the Big 12. They are afraid of us. They are scared of us, partly because what Coach Herman did.

Our administration with Chancellor Katur and Chairman Fertitta are not amateurs. I guarantee you one thing: Fertitta will counter with $4.5 to $5.0 million to keep him, but we have to have plan B.

If he stays, he has to commit long term. We have given him the facilities, and more to come. We canā€™t go into the manā€™s mind and all lawyer talk that he uses. He has to understand we canā€™t control the scared Big 12.

Tilman Fertitta will figure him out, Rest assured

. .

As long as Strong hangs onto his job at UT, the dark cloud over the Herman tenure at UH will remain and will be told ā€œwait until UT comes calling.ā€ Fire Strong and let the chips fall where they may. This is one reason I want OU to completely throttle UT this weekend.

UH already has 5 wins and should finish no worse than 9-3 this season and room for upside as well as a bright future: Allen/King/??? QB depth, Catalon returning, Oliver returning, football cred with the media, etc. UH football is in good shape and is very attractive ā€“ now is the time to resolve the endless rumors. UT and LSU openings would clear two VERY BIG hurdles to having perceived stability.

But isnā€™t this the case with P5 conferences as well? Donā€™t they have to almost be perfect? Ok, MAYBE 1 loss and you can still get in. But 2 losses?

Whatā€™s the difference? We have to perform at the same level of expectation as that of a P5. Schedule P5ā€™s teams, 2 - 3 per year, beat them and go undefeated. Of course itā€™s easier said than done, but National Championships arenā€™t just given away.

2 Likes

The difference is, controlling your own destiny. Thought that was obvious though.

The writing is on the wall, coach wants to plays stiffer competition and itā€™s harder to get out of the bed to stomp on teams in the American. It really isā€¦Letā€™s just get to the end of the season and hopefully the ride will be equally exhilarating. It has been absolutely fantastic.
One more thing, if you knew coach would leave after two seasons having beaten Oklahoma and Florida state in a premier bowl game and that the UH would be ranked in top 5 in the coaches pollā€¦literally vying for the national championship would you still hire him ? ā€¦ Yeah Thatā€™s what I thoughtā€¦ wish him well.

Well arenā€™t you a breath of fresh air? (Not really)

This was a bad interview if you hope he stays.

His answer to the question ā€œwhy do people think your going to leaveā€ was tortured and guarded.

Then the dream job question, more bull abou Fresno state. We know he likes Texas.

I thought he maintained his poise but he wants to compete at the highest level but doesnā€™t want to alienate UH fans in the transition. Definitely LEAVING

this isnā€™t a big insight. Of course we would. That doesnā€™t mean we donā€™t want him to stay or that we would be upset if he leaves(because heā€™s obviously leaving the right way). Thereā€™s no gotcha hereā€¦this is obvious.

Thats complete BSā€¦He;s not leavingā€¦and i got news for some of youā€¦
there is a reason Duarte mentioned 3 P5 confernces as possible landing places , not just Big 12ā€¦If Big 12 doesnt expand, Things are likely to happen somewhere elseā€¦for every action, there is a reactionā€¦Dont think Herman doesnt know itā€¦He ISNT leavingā€¦

if we get in a P5 he stays. If we get to the playoff, good chance he stays. if nothingā€¦chance he stays. If we kill it, and end the season ranked 20th, heā€™s gone. Heā€™s a man of integrity and isnā€™t greedy. He doesnā€™t care about the money. So any talk of money is just ignorant talk. He cares about achieving his goals and reaching the top of his profession. Thatā€™s why this whole thing is BS. Heā€™s basically not being allowed to do that here at UH. Itā€™s a collusive oligopoly. If there were strict rules for inclusion(i.e. FCS vs FBS) then I get it, but there is no such thing. This is collusion, a large group doing it(66 schools and a TV network), but collusion nonetheless.

What I heard in that interview as tweeted by Stone:
'Herman: You have to make sure that if you stay somewhere, youā€™re given the resources ā€¦ to win championships

Best keep checkbook open, #UHā€™

I felt CTH was sending a message to the UH leadership more than anyoneā€¦as long as the commitment is there for the necessary resources for success, heā€™ll be here.
Thatā€™s how I interpreted it ā€¦

1 Like

I thought CTH sounded like he does in every other interview. Heā€™s very careful with his words to no offend his current employer while also not confirming anything about staying/going.

I think CTH spells out his main goal: as long as he gets what he needs to compete, then heā€™s willing to stick around. He needs to be able to make his players happy in order to do that. If thatā€™s an IPF or an expanded stadium, or whatever, thatā€™s what heā€™ll negotiate with. At some point (even this year) it may be needing to be in a P5.

He hasnā€™t made up his mind as of yet and he hasnā€™t revealed what his timelines are to reach the next step are. One thing I got out of this interview is that I donā€™t think thereā€™s a ā€œdream jobā€ out there for CTH. He wants to be in the best job for him, whether thatā€™s in Austin, Los Angeles, Fresno, Boise, or Houston doesnā€™t really matter to him; he just wants to be in what he feels is the best situation. Hopefully, he continues to feel that way about Houston.

There is no way heā€™s leaving after this season. I guess weā€™ll see!

Everyone didnā€™t say keep winning because that means we keep Herman. We say keep winning because we canā€™t control what happens anyway. Until Navy loss if we kept winning we might be in the playoff. Now letā€™s keep winning so we can maybe get a new years six bowl. Keep winning because itā€™s fun. We could have gone undefeated and won it all and it still wouldnā€™t guarantee we keep Herman. But winning beats losing, so letā€™s get back on that trackā€¦

4 Likes

The fact there are so many openings is a bit of a red flag. How many really hot coaches took positions at these top ranked schools only to go down in flames. Wonder if our friend at UT ever wishes he were back at Louisville. That list is very, very long. Not saying some donā€™t succeed. Many do and I believe Herman will if he chooses wisely.

But all bets are off when a very top ranked program picks a new coach. They donā€™t expect him to win. They demand it. Whatā€™s his name at LSU? And Georgia runs off Mark Richt. Heā€™s doing pretty well at #16 Miami. Whatā€™s Georgiaā€™s rank?

1 Like

IF

1. We win the rest of our games
  2. We donā€™t sell out a couple of the next three home games
  3. Donā€™t get a single commit from a top 100 player
  4. No Big12 invite for UH

I think Herman will feel like he is hitting a glass ceiling as a coach for a G5 school and probably will accept a bigger paycheck from a P5 school that has a bigger wallet, better attendance and a better shot at having a hiccup during the season and still make it to the playoffs.

I canā€™t believe that he has already forgotten what the crowd was like at NRG against OU. That was a crowd he could be proud of.

2 Likes

Glass ceiling? In year two? The only thing holding back any extra recruits is negative recruiting saying Herman will be at UT or LSU next year.

1 Like

I heard similar, P5 or sayonara.

That has been clear for a while now !!!