Coach Whitting

My point is the downfall for both Nobles and Whitting was their assistants. The Head Coach cannot do everything. Whitting has to be willing to make changes because his assistants are not getting it done. He did early in his career when he replaced the pitching coach with Anderson.

If Whitting does not improve or show the willingness to make changes, I think Sean Allen would be a good option. However, I would want to know who he would hire for assistants and know more about their backgrounds. You have to have a complete competent staff to be successful.

2 Likes

Whoever the problems belongs to simply is not recruiting very well
he may be able to get away with firing the assistants but eventually the buck stops with Whitting

2 Likes

A big reason to get Sean Allen
 he’s their pitching coach and recruiting coordinator.

3 Likes

Sean Allen would be a GREAT hire! Former COOG coming home!

3 Likes

My first thought was to give Whitting another season. We are in a free fall now and nothing is telling us that this is going to stop. Sean Allen brings huge value to our program now. You mentioned it. His recruiting is key to me and he has been recruiting great for many years. He has been at uta for nine seasons. You can be sure he is eying the HC job if it becomes available. Getting him now would be a coup.

1 Like

I noticed that it has to do with pitching. When Anderson was here, it was exciting and fun to watch. Whitting needs to get a top notch pitching coach if he wishes to advance his program. UH baseball is just ho hum to me again, beginning with the last season they played.

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head
 Hit batsmen and walks have lost us many games this year
 Make them beat you with hits; don’t beat yourself.

1 Like

Our pitching numbers are just ugly

ERA 5.31
K/BB 1.9
BB per 9IP 4.22

We have been inconsistent on offense the past few years but our pitching always kept us in games now we are getting curb stomped because we can’t hit or pitch.

3 Likes

Team morale has to be below rock bottom.

2 Likes

The buck stops with Whitting. There is plenty of talent on this roster. This years recruiting class was ranked high. Whitting makes the lineup and plays the same players that he has continued to lose with. Whitting has focused on the players that he deems having the most “potential” based on draft stock. A good coach knows that the most talent on the field doesn’t always make the best team. Most other colleges platooned players in and out of non conference games to really see what they had instead of sticking to the select few. Now, when he needs to make some changes, he is throwing kids out there that haven’t had many live innings on the mound or at bats. He is also leaving a lot of talent on the bench. He started out rocky last year and is still using most of the same players, with a few exceptions, as he did last year. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. There are several recruits from juco that we are wasting on the bench. They should have had the opportunity to gain some experience prior to conference play like most other colleges did. Whitting has a few players that he will continue to play regardless of their performance. There are kids playing that he thinks he has to have defensively, but can’t hit and they know it. It is an automatic out when they step to the plate. Everybody wants to blame pitching. You also have to score runs to win games too. He has blinders on. It is not a lack of talent on the roster. It is a lack of using all of the talent that you have. He may need to start focusing on next year if he doesn’t turn this around.

4 Likes

Yes we are an elite program,But are the BUTT of this season coference standings 1-6 before today’s loss. This team reminds me of the NATIONAL LEAGUE ASTROS when they had either great pitching and no run support or great hitting but no pitching.

In the words of Bill Parcells you are who your record says you are and right now we suck.

6 Likes

Elite program? Please explain.
The ideal world is to get Sean Allen. Who is going to buy Whitting out of his contract? That is reality.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’re even close to elite status. Elite, in my book is a team that flirts with Omaha every year or so.

Right now I’d say we’re a bad season but decent program with a very nice stadium and high expectations.

(Not flaming you
just disappointed with this mess right now.)

5 Likes

There was a genius on the baseball forum recently making the “elite program” comment. He has a relationship with a volleyball.

I really like what they have done to Cougar Field (I still call it that lol) but I still think the next step is to tear down and rebuild the grandstand. That would really put the stadium over the top, in my opinion.

5 Likes

You mean just the bleacher part?

Yes. They should tear down that whole stadium part and rebuild nicely, similar to Reckling Park or something like that.

4 Likes

I don’t remember much about Reckling.

The Rice baseball stadium