CoachV's Book Corner

The Vince Flynn books are fun. Those “one man army” books I’ve always enjoyed as audiobooks for road trips. Sean Dillion was one I always enjoyed. Dirk Pitt was fun but man they got real silly, real fast.

Speaking of audiobooks for road trips especially for those who are on the road a lot. I highly recommend the “Arisen” series narrated by RC Bray. He’s a great audiobook guy and the books are fun and easy listening.

Besides audio books I also enjoy clasic theaters on sirius. “Noir” detective stories are pretty cool on the road.

1 Like

The Firesign Theater would be okay on audio

Of course, it works better when you smoke a little ganja

1 Like

I’m finishing up this book. One interesting note, the Rangers and the US Army considered the Apache Chief Victorio to be the greatest general they faced. I had to look him up.

Moved on to

After the Texas Ranger book and this one, the level of lawless is astounding

1 Like

Yup, stunning book.

Kill a family one by one so your spouse is the sole heir to the Indian Territory oil rights…

… and get away with it.

Truth is stranger than Fiction.

I never read Steppenwolf, so I decided to try it. I’m about halfway through now. Interesting.

Sam, you’re just born to be wild.

Haha.

1 Like

Please avoid spoiling the story in the future

I read the title and thought it was Nolan Ryan’s horror classic on managing in Arlington.

The remainder of the summer is devoted to 3 things, Tour de France, Texas Football Magazine and the start of reading all J. Frank Dobie’s works. This I start tomorrow

I know we think life today is dangerous but after my last 2 books, it’s obvious we live in much safer times

4 Likes

Agree on the Tour. One of, if not the best announcing teams in sports. Pretty amazing how they make a bicycle race come alive,

Dobie published this book in 1928

Quote from the intro

“People who believe that Formosa is part of China, will believe anything”

1 Like

Regardless of your politics this is a good read.

2 Likes

My mom loved her some Barry

3 Likes

Watching a YouTube video and happened upon this book. I’m going to give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Free-Fire-Joe-Pickett-Novel/dp/0735211949

Set up the tent and chairs but forgot my book. Too lazy to go back up so the office has a library. Hoping for a “one man army” type thriller. No luck.

Found Killer Angels. Read 100 pages, intrigued. Didn’t know Lee had a heart problem or that he never owned slaves

1 Like

He did. In fact, he whipped a young woman slave who had tried to run away and then put brine where her lacerations were.

Hmmmm…seems complicated